Determination of X(FAQ updated)

By Bomb, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Starting this Instead of continuing this thread: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=18&efcid=4&efidt=515723

I do not know how much has changed in the minds of anyone interested in the topic of "Cancel determination of X".

The FAQ has errata for 2 cards we had been debating on.

(v2.4) Ahead of the Tide F8
Should read: " Response: If an opponent
would win initiative, cancel the determination
of initiative winner. You win initiative
instead."

and

(v2.4) Compelled by the King F26
Should read: " Response: If an opponent
would win dominance, cancel the
determination of dominance winner. You win
dominance instead."

Determination of X is a framework action step, so if it is ruled that the actual step is canceled and resolved as "You win X", then it would apply for all cards with this language in them which is a good thing since they would do the same thing. I am glad they updated to FAQ with this type of clarity.

Bomb said:

Determination of X is a framework action step, so if it is ruled that the actual step is canceled and resolved as "You win X", then it would apply for all cards with this language in them which is a good thing since they would do the same thing. I am glad they updated to FAQ with this type of clarity.

ktom said:

Did you scroll all the way to the end and see the "Frequently Asked Question" confirming that Misinformation #2 can indeed cancel Misinformation #1 for exactly the reason you state here (that the "determination of winner" can come from the event card instead of the framework game effect)? In light of that, the wording of these two events was almost certainly changed for consistency with the other 3 events in the cycle.

I did not. I followed their version update list on page 1 which did not say they added some new FAQs to the FAQs section.

Looks like the last card played with text like Misinformation is the one that supercedes any that were previously played. So it's good that was ruled on in the FAQ.

Makes sense. It is a string of cancels. It's really no different than a "Paper Shield" war.