Simple Question

By mmotomb, in Talisman Rules Questions

We just started our first Talisman game and there's one thing that confuses me the most. Craft and Strength... what's the difference?

The way we play it is whatever is higher for you, you use it for combat.

Your Craft is 4 and your strength is 3 and you face a dragon.. you use Craft since it's higher. Which means having craft and strength is trivial which also means we're doing it wrong.

Also, what does "When your craft allows" mean.... how would a craft allow a spell? How can I tell if the craft allows spell X?

yewsef said:

We just started our first Talisman game and there's one thing that confuses me the most. Craft and Strength... what's the difference?

The way we play it is whatever is higher for you, you use it for combat.

Your Craft is 4 and your strength is 3 and you face a dragon.. you use Craft since it's higher. Which means having craft and strength is trivial which also means we're doing it wrong.

Also, what does "When your craft allows" mean.... how would a craft allow a spell? How can I tell if the craft allows spell X?

If you draw an enemy with strength, you have to fight in strength also refered to as a Battle. If the enemy has craft, you must fight using your craft (psychic combat).

Craft tells you how many spells you can carry at a time. Craft 3= 1 spell Craft 4-5= 2 spells and Craft 6+ = 3 spells. So if a card tells you to draw a spell if your craft allows, and you only have a craft of 2, then you are not allowed to take the spell.

Best Regards

Also keep in mind that if you attack another character, you engage in Battle, which means both characters use Strength.

The exception is when the attacker (the character landing on the other character) is allowed to choose Psychic Combat (see your character sheet if you are allowed to do so) and decides to do so, upon which you engage in Psychic Combat, which means both characters use Craft.

The defender can never choose Psychic Combat, only the attacker can.

Thanks guys!

That would make the game much more difficult for craft based characters.

Does this mean Craft Based characters should focus on Strength to progress?

Also, does the term "character" only mean "other players" or are enemies also considered characters?

Character = Player Character

Enemy = Adventure card with the type Enemy

Creature = Enemy or a creature described on the board (Farmer in the Tavern, Sentinel, Spirit in the Crags, etc...) or an adventure card that is not the Enemy type itself (the Dragon or Goblin in the Cave, etc...)