Teleportariums as Weapons

By Nerdynick, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

I just came across this little jewel on page 44 of the Planetstrike rulebook for the tabletop game:

" Teleport Barrage

This merciless tactic was first used by the Iron Hands against the Chaos forces in the siege of Caliope 9. Instead of teleporting troops within a bunker, a technomage simply opens a wide spectrum beam and scrambles the molecules of its inhabitants. Any subsequent entrants to the building find its metal and stone fused with the flesh of its defenders."

Ideas? Comments? Rules?

Probably close to tech-heresy, using such hallowed tech like that, but the Iron Hands can get away with stuff like that.

I wouldn't let my players do that, since teleporting can be abused too much as it is (especially since you can just teleport a warhead or a nuke into a ship/fortress).

My GM, to get around me teleporting a Melta Torpedo onto the opposition's bridge, simply told me that the teleportarium chamber wasn't that large.

i would say yes you can do that but the GM might say no it takes the fun and challenge out of it.

and on the tech-heresy rouge traders are above most laws and i dont think it is tech-heresy. its just making the beam bigger

My rule for players doing things like that is if you do it, they will too.

Mind you I would not make it easy. For the teleporting the nuke trick, I would prolly have them set a timer on the bomb, then have a random time dilation on the transit. Anything from detonation before it fully dematerializes to left on the enemy ship for too long and it is disarmed.

For the teleporter scramble, I would make it a very difficult roll, and on a small degree of failure the teleporter is damaged or destroyed. Oh, and eventually, someone will scramble the player ship's plasma drive.

I would make this depend on the teleportarium and the techno mage controlling it. These revered archeotech devices won't all be capable of such adjustments and it is a question whether or not the tech priests operating them will have the skill and will (as it might indeed be heretechnical) to do this. Aside of that, we then get the aiming problem which should be a big issue, as changing the basic (and hardly understood) workings of a teleportatium will have vast problems on the accuracy of it.

To top it off, you can always rule that once a teleportarium gets used in this way, there is the odd chance that settings will interface and a teleportarium mishap might just result in the damage you described....on the teleported characters.

Friedrich van Riebeeck, Navigator Primus, Heart of the Void

hereticmarine4321 said:

and on the tech-heresy rouge traders are above most laws and i dont think it is tech-heresy. its just making the beam bigger

Imperial Law =/= Mechanicus Law. It skirts the edge of tech-heresy by virtue of modifying archeotech for a purpose not its intended. Most Adeptus wouldn't bother the Rogue Trader over it unless they'd done something else to irk them, but the possibility is there.

Nerdynick said:

My GM, to get around me teleporting a Melta Torpedo onto the opposition's bridge, simply told me that the teleportarium chamber wasn't that large.

Torpedoes are large, yes, as are their warheads. Utility servo skulls with melta bombs on the other hand, are not. Stock up on both and have fun. A cheaper and more fun solution: gather up a horde of mutants from your darkhold and tp them into an enemy position - make sure you put powerful vox caster son them so you can listen in on the ensuing hilarity. Of course the Iron Hands are likely in possession of tech knowledge in excess of the average Rogue Trader and his allied Adepts which allows them to do this with little chance of harm to their equipment.