A few impressions about revised CotDP

By Avi_dreader, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

First of all, An Insidious Trap is going to be a rules issue because it opens a gate in the street, but there could already be a moving dreamlands gate there, and it's currently not possible for two gates to be in the same space...

Second... It seems like the Exhibit encounters deck is rather difficult, but as long as you're prepared with a weapon, at least you won't have any accidentally added doom. The only problem is the Exhibit items are rather weak now... Except for two of the Elder Scrolls, there's nothing there (well, Mask of Vice) I'd really want badly enough to spend the time and take the risk. Buuut, on the bright side, there's now a reason for stopping in the streets as opposed to elsewhere. And you have additional incentive to fight sky monsters.

Avi_dreader said:

First of all, An Insidious Trap is going to be a rules issue because it opens a gate in the street, but there could already be a moving dreamlands gate there, and it's currently not possible for two gates to be in the same space...

Monster surge

(edit) actually I don't think this scenario is possible since if a gate were already in the street the investigator would have been drawn through it instead of having an exhibit encounter.

Avi_dreader said:

As Veet said, this should not be an issue. But what bugs me is that (unless you didn't say so), the universal rule is that gates in the street cannot be sealed, but that rule only appears in the Lurker manual—because that was supposed to be the only time it happened.

Avi_dreader said:

Second... It seems like the Exhibit encounters deck is rather difficult, but as long as you're prepared with a weapon, at least you won't have any accidentally added doom. The only problem is the Exhibit items are rather weak now... Except for two of the Elder Scrolls, there's nothing there (well, Mask of Vice) I'd really want badly enough to spend the time and take the risk. Buuut, on the bright side, there's now a reason for stopping in the streets as opposed to elsewhere. And you have additional incentive to fight sky monsters.

Well, that at least keeps the Vice mask at bay. But, I would very much want to take the exhibit risk if Cursed Relics was in play and I no collateral.

Veet said:

Avi_dreader said:

Monster surge

(edit) actually I don't think this scenario is possible since if a gate were already in the street the investigator would have been drawn through it instead of having an exhibit encounter.

Tibs said:

Avi_dreader said:

As Veet said, this should not be an issue. But what bugs me is that (unless you didn't say so), the universal rule is that gates in the street cannot be sealed, but that rule only appears in the Lurker manual—because that was supposed to be the only time it happened.

Tibs said:

Avi_dreader said:

Well, that at least keeps the Vice mask at bay. But, I would very much want to take the exhibit risk if Cursed Relics was in play and I no collateral.

Cursed Relics is awful :'r I'd do the same. I'm glad at least now it's not a game wrecker though, just a brain wrecker :')

I think that the new Exhibit Item deck is pretty nifty. Not to mention those added by Miskatonic Horror. The changes done to the masks is great. Using the old masks felt like too much book keeping. The Masks that allow you to make a -1 check in instead of the stat's counterpart seem pretty awesome. Particularly the will/fight one.

In CotDP Revised, have they changed the names of the Exhibit Items, or are they the same name, but with different effects? What are the five new Exhibit Items in MH called?

Jake yet again said:

In CotDP Revised, have they changed the names of the Exhibit Items, or are they the same name, but with different effects? What are the five new Exhibit Items in MH called?

Same names, different effects, I think. I don't have my cards with me.

The Parchment of the Elder Sign is now three parchment fragments, all of which are weaker than the original.

avec said:

The Parchment of the Elder Sign is now three parchment fragments, all of which are weaker than the original.

The third one isn't, I think. Because it guarantees passage? Probably worth the price.

I had "An Insidious Trap" come up just now during a game, and I played it that as per the Lurker rules (even though I wasn't using the Lurker expansion in this game) the gate can open in the street, and be closed, but never sealed.

I also found the new Mythos card "Private Security Hired in Uptown!" to be singularly odd. It opens a gate at the Woods (an Uptown Location), spawning x monster(s), then after movement, removes all monsters in Uptown streets and locations back to the cup. So unless a fast monster comes out, and matches the movement symbols (for the record, only 5 of the 8 total fast monsters do match) to move twice out of Uptown, any monster that does spawn will be removed that same turn!

Yeah, Private Security Hired in Uptown is fairly silly, but a few other cases where the appearance of the monster makes a difference are if it flies or has other weird (e.g. Hound) movement, or if you're at the monster limit. Otherwise, just look at it as one of the only monsterless gates and count yourself lucky.

The fast monsters and the flying ones, and the one with a movement like the Tindalos... But yep, that card is weird.

Edit : okay... always read all the answers before replying... so i would avoid saying less things than the previous one.