Homebrew tiles for new quests

By HighHanded, in Descent Home Brews

Due to a random bout of inspiration I started work on a slightly different homebrew Descent expansion. One consisting of a set of custom tiles and quests to go along with those tiles. Now... for some the first question that springs to mind is how to make custom tiles, this will be answered at the end of this post for those who'd also like to try, or are just curious*.

So, why custom tiles?
Because I'm a bit bored with the possibilities given by the tiles present in Descent, especially when it comes to aboveground maps using RtL and ToI. While playable I find them to just not be organic enough and too similar to the corridor + rooms configuration of the dungeon (which they of course ARE). Hence my slightly different approach with the goal of making fairly open (no more than the giant room in ToI though) outdoor areas.

projectphase2.png

I've currently design the general geometry of the tiles (see image above) and am wondering about the textures to use, mostly if I should recreate the textures used in RtL or make my own (not much of a problem). Obviously the first option would require more work but would make the tiles more universal and mixable with standard Descent tiles while the second would give me more freedom and the possibility to use a different puzzle clamp design than that from Descent (the S shape is a bit hard to cut, especially compared to the simple Z cut).

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Specifically any reasons why it wouldn't work?
Suggestions will also be accepted and appreciated.

*) How to make tiles?
1) You will need cardboard (2mm or 3mm, Descent tiles are 2mm), tile designs in printable correct scale format, two sided tape or paper-craft glue, self adhesive vinyl (optional) and self adhesive clear foil, hobby knife and cutting board, printer and printing paper.
2) Print the tiles on a good quality paper.
3) Apply the self adhesive vinyl to one side of the cardboard (optional, but tiles made like this last a bit longer and look better), apply either the glue or tape to the other side.
4) Apply the printed tiles onto the cardboard, if needed wait for the glue to stick.
5) Apply the foil on top of the "wafer". Make sure everything is firmly stuck together.
6) Use the knife to cut out the tiles.

Continues this a bit. Sat down to some textures aiming to replicate the look of Descent. Here's a sample using the textures "in action" (as a mock up tile):

projectphase3demo.png

In final version I'll add some more details to the tiles - a few stones, a few leaves, some colour variation to the edges.

Corrected textures, after printing the tiles looked very, very dull and washed. Increased contrast, brightness, added more colour.

They looked pretty good after printing so I decided it's time to get to making the tiles and not just the textures.

Here are two examples, input would be greatly appreciated:

tile010.png tile011b.png

As you can see they lack the outline for the puzzle latch, decided that I won't add it in at all and just cut it out as this would impact the aesthetics of the tile.

awesome work so far - I want to see more of it.

I guess I should finish them someday...

Unfortunately right now I have more important things to do...

Right now there's 86 out of the ~110 I had planned done...

Here's a few samples of how they look right now:

tile104.png tile052.png

tile045.png tile022.png

Obviously didn't like the original look of them.

They look very nice. Will the scrub on the edge of the tiles block line-of-sight?

And movement, just like any other tile edge.