Question on Lord Commander of the Kingsguard

By Astatt, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Was hoping someone would be able to clarify this for me.

Was playing a game with some friends last night (all of us are new players) and the following situation happened:

I have a character with Intimidate I attack an opponent with a character with lower strength than me but has the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

1. Their character's power does not count correct?

2. Since a defender was declared does the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard still give a +3 bonus? Or is it considered unopposed?

Thanks!

I think it works as follows... if ktom answers, his answer obviously supersedes mine: The title would provide the +3 STR bonus even if a 0-STR character was the only defender, but the bonus does not apply directly to any of the participating characters, so Intimidate would still work and the challenge would be considered unopposed if you counted 3 or more STR (if you used a weenie like Bloodthirsty Crew, you wouldnt win the challenge so unopposed wouldnt really matter).

That is incorrect. The rules for Unopposed Challenges are:

During the “Resolve” step of any challenge, if
the attacker wins the challenge, and the defender
had a total STR of 0 (or no defending characters),
then the attacker claims 1 bonus power for his
or her House from the power pool.

In the scenario given, the attacker won the challenge, but the defender does not have a total STR of 0 (the defending character's STR does not count, but the title still does). Therefore, the challenge will still be opposed.

Think of what happens when a power challenge against the Crown Regent player is defended by Hoster Tully with Milk of the Poppy attached. It would still be opposed, right? The same logic applies.

Yea, that actually sounds more correct than my answer (assuming thats from the Core rules, which I don't have in front of me and don't feel like downloading at the moment to verify). Didn't even need a ktom answer. happy.gif

He doesn't necessarily win, he still needs 3 strength in attacking characters