Lightning salvage

By rimmer3, in Talisman Rules Questions

Lightning Bolt (Spell): Cast at any time on any character. That character is stunned (may do nothing apart from negating this Spell with Counterspell) for the duration of that turn.

I draw a dragon. May I cast Lightning bolt on myself to evade that battle?

If that's all the text there is on the card, then no, Dragon is an Enemy, not a character.

I know. But I am the character. And I can't do nothing for the duration of that turn. Battling included.

It should work like that if you were cast it on someone else's character, so I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work the same way if you were to cast it on your own character.

It would be quite funny if you then decided to negate it with a Counterspell... gran_risa.gif

It's obvious that "any" means "any other", otherwise you stay on the ground stunned and the Dragon eats you. partido_risa.gif

However, if you launch on yourself, you can't do any other actions, but you draw the Dragon before the spell; so you must finish the encounter with the Dragon and then finish your turn, because you are stunned.

crazyaxe said:

It's obvious that "any" means "any other", otherwise you stay on the ground stunned and the Dragon eats you. partido_risa.gif

Well, not sure how realistic you like to be here - but if a card says "any character" - it doesn't mean "any other", so you can use it on yourself, I'd say.

And if a card says your turn ends (or you can do nothing) - how are you supposed to encounter the dragon?

I'm with Daefaroth and the others here.

You are quite correct Spirit. Any means any!

Ell.

I guess the question is, what happens if someone is affected by this spell during combat? Does it stop the combat and immediately end the turn?

And yeah, that M:tG card is mindboggling as well. Leaves so many stuff up for questions, like what if the player is currently attacking.

I thought that Lightning Bolt was used so that you cant make any actions with your character, so that if you cast it on someone who is about to encounter someone, the affected character cant roll a attackroll, he is just stunned. But the enemy are allowed.
But we maybe played this card wrong.

LordAlmgren said:

I thought that Lightning Bolt was used so that you cant make any actions with your character, so that if you cast it on someone who is about to encounter someone, the affected character cant roll a attackroll, he is just stunned. But the enemy are allowed.

But we maybe played this card wrong.

Then you're actually seeing into things, imagining what would happen when something like that would happen for real.

Don't. It's a boardgame. Just do exactly as the card says. If you don't, the end is lost.