Entry to Inner region regarding quests

By JCCC, in Talisman Rules Questions

Can you enter the inner region while you still have quests active?

Yes.

But you can't open the Portal of Power.

Hi

This is sort of related to the topic, a tricky warlock quest situation:

* There are only two players left in the game Player A and Player B

* Player A draws the warlock quest "take a life from another character".

* Player B goes into the inner region knowing that Player A will never be able to enter.

* Player B then dies in the inner region, what happens? Does Player A automaticly win or does talisman win?

* Dungeon is not in play

So far this scenario have happened twice for us, and we have played that Player A can discard his quest and automaticly win if not any ending where he can be killed is in play.

Just wanted to see the community Pro's thoughts on it

Persiatic said:

Hi

* Player B goes into the inner region knowing that Player A will never be able to enter.

* Player B then dies in the inner region, what happens? Does Player A automaticly win or does talisman win?

* Dungeon is not in play

So far this scenario have happened twice for us, and we have played that Player A can discard his quest and automaticly win if not any ending where he can be killed is in play.

You do not need a Talisman to enter the Inner Region. You need a Talisman to enter the Valley of Fire space (and in the base game, that's the only way to reach the Crown of Command).

There is no player on the Crown of Command yet, so Player B would normally draw a new Character card and game continues. Player A can then try to take a life of Player B's new Character.

Keep in mind that there are more ways to earn a Talisman than by completing the Warlock's Cave quest. The Warlock's Cave quest is actually rarely visited in the group I play because Talismans appear left and right. The base deck itself has 2 Talisman cards and a Hermit who gives one away, and then there is the Temple where you can gain a Talisman at random.

However, if player A does catch up with player B by accessing a Talisman in other ways, and then fights him on the Crown of Command, the moment Player B takes 1 damage in their battle, Player A is hurled back to the Warlock's Cave for completing a quest (even if Player B attacked Player A and failed to win the fight).

Thels said:

Keep in mind that there are more ways to earn a Talisman than by completing the Warlock's Cave quest. The Warlock's Cave quest is actually rarely visited in the group I play because Talismans appear left and right. The base deck itself has 2 Talisman cards and a Hermit who gives one away, and then there is the Temple where you can gain a Talisman at random.

However, if player A does catch up with player B by accessing a Talisman in other ways, and then fights him on the Crown of Command, the moment Player B takes 1 damage in their battle, Player A is hurled back to the Warlock's Cave for completing a quest (even if Player B attacked Player A and failed to win the fight).

Persiatic is saying that the other Character has no ways to get inside, since he cannot complete his Warlock Quest, which prevents him from opening the Portal of Power and has no other way to the Crown. He cannot catch up with player B, even if he gets a Talisman. He can only hope that the other dies in the Inner Region or just destroy/steal his Talisman with a Spell to force him to turn back. Death in the inner region does not resolve the Warlock Quest: the Character must personally take a Life from the other.

You're right when you say that if nobody is on the Crown, then another Character should be drawn. The Character with the quest must hunt him down to complete his task.

With the Dungeon expansion (not in the above example), he might be able to reach the Crown via Treasure Chamber, but if he has a fight on the Crown and takes a Life from the other Character, he will be teleported to the Warlock's Cave!

You're right. I completely forgot about the detail that you cannot pass through the Portal of Power without first completing the Quest. My bad.

I guess the only chance to win is then to run around drawing as much cards as you can until you come across the Magic Portal, and then try to land on the Magic Portal as often as you can, until you roll a 6.

Persiatic said:

Hi

* Dungeon is not in play

You have two possible scenarios here and I thought I would give my opinions on both.

1) Someone has been to the CoC. Thus, all other players have been knocked out when their characters got killed. In that scenario, my group would play that the last remaining character wins. Sometimes it is a perfectly valid tactic to hunt down and kill the other players rather than make a run for the crown.

2) No one has yet been to the CoC. Here players have not been knocked out of the game and should draw a new character. If they decline, they are conceding the game. If all other players have conceded then the last remaining character will again win.

Don't forget that the default win condition for the game is after any character has gotten to the Crown of Command you then must kill all the other characters. How they are killed is actually irrelevant to the rules. Even if an alternate ending card is used that adds an additional win condition, there is nothing that states that the alternate ending overrides the default win condition. They only change how the Crown of Command mechanics work.

Ye, Daefaroth, you are correct it is actually in the rules that last player remaining wins. Tnx for the replys

Where is the rule about the Warlock quest and the Portal of Power?

Base game rules:

"In addition, the Warlock will prevent any
character who has accepted a quest from opening the Portal
of Power until he has first completed his quest." (p. 17)

Noooo, too bad. I loved stealing/taking the Talisman from other players in the inner region.

crazyaxe said:

Noooo, too bad. I loved stealing/taking the Talisman from other players in the inner region.

You can still do that. You can enter the Inner Region and steal a Talisman there (but keep in mind that you can only attack other players on the Plain of Peril or the Valley of Fire (and then you are too late).

You can even enter the Plain of Peril without a Talisman and steal the Talisman from whoever is standing there, and next turn they are forced to move out again (or advance without a Talisman).

You just can't do it if you currently happen to be on a Talisman Quest.