Which of these scenarios to play next?

By Emirikol, in WFRP Gamemasters

We just completed TGS, Rough Night at the 3 feathers and Karls & Scents. Our group is a Grey Wizard, Initiate of Ranald, Trollslayer, and Commoner (with a halberd). Any of you have any feedback or thoughts/experiences on any of these scenarios?

Dog Eat Dog World - "Willnae hold on, I dinnae if its worth the trouble for me and me lads. Y'say ye wannem all dead?"
"Yes, indeed Sir."
"The wee doggies too?"
"You mean the weenier dogs? Especially those.."

Worse than Disease - It centres on a daring act of burglary committed by the PCs and therefore requires certain Character types, preferably those of a larcenous persuasion.

There are No Such Things as Skaven! ~ One, two, Skaven's coming for you. Threee, four, Better lock your door. Five six, Who will it pick...

The links to download these scenarios are here: gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/WFRP+COMPLETE+SCENARIO+LIST+AND+DOWNLOAD+LINKS.pdf.html

Thanks Sami for the info on No such things as skaven :)

I'm probably running a group through a 3e converted version of "There Are No Such Thing As Skaven" in a couple of days.

I'll let you know how it worked out. There's a lot of stuff there that can incorporate the 3e trackers and tokens.

Ralzar,

I'll copy here some comments I gave to Emirikol earlier regarding There are no such things as Skaven .

Firstly, if you have Edge of Night you can easily incorporate things from it. In There are no such... the fire festival is featured more as background and context for the cultist hunt. What you could do is have the town's high and mighty arrange some competitions as part of festivities. The winners from these various events will get to attend a party held by the merchants and other notables at Rottmeier's mansion - the cultists and Rottmeier will naturally attend (Armantero could be held captive in the mansion as well - perhaps the PCs would then have to sneak him out without alerting the cultists). However, they will depart just before midnight to meet the Skaven at the glass factory. This will allow you to bring the festival more front and center, have your players attend some suitably warhammerish competitions and maybe highlight the innocent front the festival serves before the conspiracy is revealed in full.

You could, of course, use Edge of Night's ending with this adventure as well. Maybe Foulsqueek has decided that it doesn't need manling cultists anymore (or is convinced that they are plotting against him) and has his Skaven first try to poison the town's noteworthy and then his troops will use well and sewers to swarm the city. Imagine Skaven climbing from sewers to attack the festivalgoers. Panic ensues and when you are in a middle of a fire festival that is bound to be bad news...

Secondly, if your PCs decide to enter the sewers with the ratcatchers, you would perhaps want to consider having one or two of the ratcatchers be severely wounded in the Skaven ambush. The PCs then have to make the decision whether to follow the ratmen or help the wounded to safety.

Thirdly, in the finale as it is written Rottmeier and the grey seer flee down the well. Several groups have hesited or even refused to follow them. You should probably keep this possibility in mind.

Finally, you can find an additional handout for the note left on Isidro Armantero's door here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29503787/pamhplet.pdf

Regards,

Sami Uusitalo

Thanks for the extra ideas :) I think I'll leave the scenario as it is, since our games are usually a bit pressed for time and I probably just have this one evening to get them all the way through it. Including a party at the mansion might easily make it a bit too long. If I had more time at my disposal I probably would include it.

d6 Evil Men said:

Secondly, if your PCs decide to enter the sewers with the ratcatchers, you would perhaps want to consider having one or two of the ratcatchers be severely wounded in the Skaven ambush. The PCs then have to make the decision whether to follow the ratmen or help the wounded to safety.

The way I've converted it to 3e doesn't really give the characters any way to pursue the skaven, since that seemed to be the idea from how you wrote it. I'm trying to keep the characters in the dark about wether there actually are skaven or not until the finale. I'll post a summary of the changes I made and how well they worked after the session.

d6 Evil Men said:

Thirdly, in the finale as it is written Rottmeier and the grey seer flee down the well. Several groups have hesited or even refused to follow them. You should probably keep this possibility in mind.

Hm, I never considered this. Looking at it from a player perspective, I'd probably be more than a little hesitant to go down the well myself. Which would be a shame, since there's a lot of work put into that encounter. It's not really important for the story though, after all, the final battle is written so that Foulsqueek can get away or not and it doesn't really change anything other than allowing the GM to use him as an enemy in other adventures.

Still, I guess it might be a good idea to give the players some kind of visual clue that going down the well is possible. Maybe Rottmeier waits a bit before going in and players look down the well can see him dissappear in the tunnel just above the waterline.

Ralz,

We had played Karl's & Scents a few episodes ago and also had the "why should we go down the well" phenomenon. In Karls & Scents, you find out that you're delivering a perfume that attracts beastmen and the perfumatoire is putting it in his next batch for Countess Emanuelle von Leibawitz (sp?). There's an entire section on how the players can scout out the perfumatory and find out this big evil plot with a surprise bad-guy...BUT.....My players, on two occasions of running this scenario just dropped it off at the local watch station with a message for the Witch Hunter General.

I'll have to check out how this works in No such things... and see if I can get more motivation.

jh

One way to give the PCs extra motivation to follow Rottmeier down the well is to give him something the characters want. Maybe dying Armantero tells them Rottmeier has a piece of evidence or a dangerous artifact with him. Or maybe the cultists have an innocent NPC with them to give to Foulsqueek as a personal slave - just make sure the PCs have met this NPC earlier - and this innocent needs to be saved. And that means following Foulsqueek down the well.

Emirikol's group has a Grey Wizard - maybe Rottmeier slips some hint of a possible conspiracy etc. that the Grey Wizard wants to interrogate him for and would thus want to follow the man down the well to capture him (or Foulsqueek).