Getting rid of objective items?

By Shelfwear, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

After some research on the internet I came to the conclusion that you can't decide to remove claimed objective items from your heroes. Is that correct?

I was playing the third quest from the core set and reached the last stage after leaving the dungeon. This is when it gets really tight: you have to face the generic orcs plus the Nazgul and whatever else is lurking in the staging area. Now those 3 objective items really turn into a millstone.

Am I right that the only way to get rid of them at this stage is to attach a third restricted attachment to a hero carrying one or more objective items therefore removing one of them? (the quest card doesn't say that I need the items to win finish the quest)

Shelfwear said:

After some research on the internet I came to the conclusion that you can't decide to remove claimed objective items from your heroes. Is that correct?

I was playing the third quest from the core set and reached the last stage after leaving the dungeon. This is when it gets really tight: you have to face the generic orcs plus the Nazgul and whatever else is lurking in the staging area. Now those 3 objective items really turn into a millstone.

Am I right that the only way to get rid of them at this stage is to attach a third restricted attachment to a hero carrying one or more objective items therefore removing one of them? (the quest card doesn't say that I need the items to win finish the quest)

Yes since they are restricted you can discard it by add one more restricted attachment. Also if some shadow effect make you chose and discard any of your attachments you can chose and discard objective card(objective cards return to the staging area).

Cool questions...

I also have one related to the thrid quest and regarding objectives in general.

1. Do enemies which are placed as guards to objective engage players? I could not find the answer in a clear form so far.

2. Let's say in the third quest in the third stage, if objectives cards are detached and returned into the staging area (as per card text), what happens to them? Will they get a new guard? Is this guard counted to the total of the encounter cards you should draw per player? Example: So, let say in a 2 player with one objective in the staging area, a total of 3 encounter cards would be drawn, and one as guard? Just wanted to clarify that.

****, I just realizied i have attached a objective card to Gandalf (and detached it whith him), which is not possible... :(

Hmm, have to retry that scenario today after maybe some clarification and with correct rules. ;)

1) the card says "as if it just engaged" so you put the generic orcs in front of your heroes (not in the staging area)

2) they don't get a new guardian encounter card (as far as I understood the new FAQ chapter 1.17)

On another note: I experienced it that a good way to handle quest 3 is to try to kill the Nazgul prior entering quest phase 3, then grab the remaining two objectives and then try to explore 3b (7 progress tokens) n one go and fninishing the quest without entering into to combat phase at all. With that you only suffer the negative effects of objective cards 2+3 only once and avoid that messy fight against an increasing number of enemies (at some point the encounter deck was running low and I was afraid that when I have to reshuffle it, the Nazgul turns up for a second time)

Back to the OP topic, this is an interesting question and related to it is can you discard allies currently in play, again I don't think anything is in the rules to allow this, but that might be a viable tactic to deal with The Old Ford ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2373 ) in an emergency?

Having to allocate additional restricted attatchments as a way to get rid of the objectives seems a bit convoluted?

Maybe you should just be allowed to discard any card you own to the appriopriate discard at any time? any precedence for this or specifically NOT allowing it, in any of the other LCGs?

Shelfwear said:

1) the card says "as if it just engaged" so you put the generic orcs in front of your heroes (not in the staging area)

sorry, you misunderstood me. I did not mean the 3rd stage orc guards but simply the first stage where the "guards" of the objectives are drawn from the encounter deck. The ones you attach to a objective in the first place... ;)

But thanks for answering the second question.

@topic: The rules don't say no, but they should say no I would say ;) FAQ???

pumpkin said:

Maybe you should just be allowed to discard any card you own to the appriopriate discard at any time? any precedence for this or specifically NOT allowing it, in any of the other LCGs?

You don't need to "specifically NOT allow" it; nothing in the rules suggests that you can do this. And, with good reason. Given come into play, leave play, and discard manipulation powers, you want to restrict the circumstances under which players can have cards leave play. To give a specific example, a card like Eomund FAR more powerful if you can discard him at will.

Iver said:

The ones you attach to a objective in the first place... ;)

"Guardian" cards of objective cards are just like enemies or locations in the staging area that have attachments. You have to get rid of those (by exploring or killing) then you can claim the unguarded (=freed) objective card as an action. "Guardians" engage the players following the normal rules (either bc your threat meets their threat value or bc you have voluntarily engaged them)

Shelfwear said:

Iver said:

The ones you attach to a objective in the first place... ;)

"Guardian" cards of objective cards are just like enemies or locations in the staging area that have attachments. You have to get rid of those (by exploring or killing) then you can claim the unguarded (=freed) objective card as an action. "Guardians" engage the players following the normal rules (either bc your threat meets their threat value or bc you have voluntarily engaged them)

Perfect thanks.

So, to continue with Pumpkins thought and summerize, what kind of options do you guys see in the end to get rid of an objective card?

the Miner Lore ally and a treachery card? Or a hero dies which has such a objective attached...

The miner won't work bc he only affects "condition" cards (eg Caught in the web). Else only attaching more restricted attachments, the death of the Hero or the shadow effects of Driven by Shadow, Cavern Guardian and Forest Spider work

Shelfwear said:

On another note: I experienced it that a good way to handle quest 3 is to try to kill the Nazgul prior entering quest phase 3, then grab the remaining two objectives and then try to explore 3b (7 progress tokens) n one go and fninishing the quest without entering into to combat phase at all. With that you only suffer the negative effects of objective cards 2+3 only once and avoid that messy fight against an increasing number of enemies (at some point the encounter deck was running low and I was afraid that when I have to reshuffle it, the Nazgul turns up for a second time)

This is the same tatic I use. I wait until the nazgul is dead and have 15+ progress tokens on 2b before moving to stage 3. I will also make sure I have enough Allies or support cards to help me get through 3b in 2 turns or less. It worked out nice list time my buddy and I played. During combat in 2b, Legolas killed something and put the final tokens on, therefore we moved to 3a/b. Quest phase came and knocked it out with Gandalf's help. We didn't even face the orcs.