Table Top Rules?

By Necross, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

So, I read that FF is working on more traditional table top wargame rules for Dust where it'll play more like Warhammer 40K and similar games where you measure distances with a ruler instead of counting squares. Is this true? Any word on when it would be done?

I don't really think it will be that tough to do.. if a square = 9 cm = 3.5 inches.. you could just convert distances that way, so like if your gun shoots up to 4 squares, then it can shoot 14 inches. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with rules like that, most of the work is already done :)

Necross said:

So, I read that FF is working on more traditional table top wargame rules for Dust where it'll play more like Warhammer 40K and similar games where you measure distances with a ruler instead of counting squares. Is this true? Any word on when it would be done?

I don't really think it will be that tough to do.. if a square = 9 cm = 3.5 inches.. you could just convert distances that way, so like if your gun shoots up to 4 squares, then it can shoot 14 inches. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with rules like that, most of the work is already done :)

I like the board game but this is really what I am waiting on. Im not sure how they are going to release it but I would love a large hardcovered ruleset with loads of eye candy and fluff. As far as conversions go for range and such if you are going to go this route it would probably make sense to round it up to a base of 4" instead of 3.5"

It should happen. when AEG planned on releasing Dust it was in the pipes as a pdf release. I could see FFG going more formal with printed material. I will welcome it, as will some of our 40k guys that havent jumped in yet because of the tiles.

I have seen quite a few people shy away from this because of the "Board Game Aspect" they feel it isn't a "proper" miniatures game, but they love the miniatures...(yeah, process that one for a moment) I think this system will be (is) a great cross over platform for all kinds of game players.

I look forward to the table top rules as well, however I'm quite happy with the current rules set.