Some cards Errata.

By Glaurung, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

After play already 2 months this game i come to conclusion some player cards need some errata to make game more balanced.

There is my opinion:

1 Gimly should have text : Gimly get 1 attack for each 2 DAMAGE on him. Maybe his threat level lower to 10.

2 Baravur : Target player draw 2 cards. Limited once per turn.

3 Northern Tracker: After Northern tracker commits to the quest chose a location, put 1 progress token on this location.His attack, life and defense level also to strong i think. Maybe he should to be unique????

4 Theres is no limit how many cards you can draw per turn but in he end of the turn every player must discard card until he have 6 cards in his hand.

If you use this errata game is more balanced and become more interesting. Other wise 50 cards expert decks destroy all this core quests easy (mostly in coop games) But even i solo games This 4 cards from above also too powerful.

You're telling my that Solo play on Quest 3 is too easy for you? I kinda doubt that.

conykchameleon said:

You're telling my that Solo play on Quest 3 is too easy for you? I kinda doubt that.

I dont talk about some quest i talk about balance of the game. And of course third quest is just impossible to play solo. Maybe in the future with some new cards.... maybe. But with 2 players is most difficult from all 3 quest but still to easy for 50 card expert decks.

Let me explain this. You have Beravur, Gimly, Eowyn, Aragorn, Legolas, Denetor. After 6-8 rounds with steward of gondor, U courage, Northern tracker, sneak attack, and lot of Gandalf in your hand you win. You also have test of the will and hasty stroke. And if you really need something Beravur allow you to draw 5 cards per turn with U courage or 7 cards if you have 2 on him. So tell me what encounter deck can do???? He reveal 2 ok maybe with surge 3 cards per round and you draw together 2 players about 8. And there is no discard i the end of the turn. So you have half of your deck i your hand on the 12 or 15 turn and lot of resources with SOG there is any problem for you?????? From this moment its only question of time. There is Gimly with 2 armor can kill any enemies.

Yes you say there is some encounter cards who can discard armor and add threat and other bad thing but with crazy draw From Beravur i keep in my hand Hasty stroke, Test of will and gandalf wtih sneak attack. There is no chance for encounter deck. Not even small chance. NO ANY CHANCE!!!!We can play gandalf every turn with sneak, Gandalf him self and stand and fight. And second player have more 3 gandalf.

And northern tracker even only one solve all the problem with locations. Bingo.

This 4 cards to powerful. Need to do something.

all of your tactics Glaurung are based only on the fact that you take 2-3 core sets and combine very powerful cards which lost just 1 or 2 into one "professional" deck and here we go. Again, just try to play with one core set with 1-2 players (as it says on the pacakge... ;) ) and see how it goes.

Other than that, you can always try nighttmare or change cards or rules as you like if have to use 2-3 cores for one deck. :)

The game offers enough options to be hard and still fun I guess, we see a lot of users with good suggestions in the community but one can always "do what he/she" wants in the end. :)

All cards games have cards that are stronger than others. It's in the nature of games in general, not specifically LotR.

I don't believe any of the proposed changes are required. Although I agree that the listed cards are amongst the most powerful, reducing their usefulness would probably only lead other cards to shine.

As Iver suggested, you can always try Nightmare mode if you're looking for a more challenging experience.

Also, about the no-limit hand size, we could very well see encounter cards in the future who become stronger based on that (similar to the cards in The Hunt for Gollum who get stronger based on the number of allies in play). The problem is that you're making a lot of assumptions on the difficulty of the game based on just 3 or 4 scenarios. I'd say you should wait until the end of the next cycle, when we have 10 official quests available (3 core set, 6 expansion packs, 1 from GenCon/PoD), plus maybe another 20 fan-made ones (I'm sure NinjaDorg will keep producing them at a good rythm, and other fans will probably try their hand at it sooner or later [although he did set the bar high with the quality of his work]).

If, by this time, you're still able to use the same decks with the listed cards and breeze through all quests without sweat, then yeah, it'll be time to ask for changes to the game to make it more challenging. But right now, it's too soon.

And, personnaly, I'd replace Legolas with Thalin in your list of 6 heroes. Thalin's power is, in my opinion, better than Legolas, as he prevents those Eastern Crows from surging.

I don't think I agree with most of Glaurung's changes, but the idea that Nightmare will increases his challenge level isn't true. Playing Nightmare makes absolutely no difference to the way high end decks currently function. I do think SICK_Boy is correct, however. We need to see if difficulty level can be adjusted on the scenario side, and we should know that by the end of the calendar year.

SiCK_Boy said:

All cards games have cards that are stronger than others. It's in the nature of games in general, not specifically LotR.

I don't believe any of the proposed changes are required. Although I agree that the listed cards are amongst the most powerful, reducing their usefulness would probably only lead other cards to shine.

As Iver suggested, you can always try Nightmare mode if you're looking for a more challenging experience.

Also, about the no-limit hand size, we could very well see encounter cards in the future who become stronger based on that (similar to the cards in The Hunt for Gollum who get stronger based on the number of allies in play). The problem is that you're making a lot of assumptions on the difficulty of the game based on just 3 or 4 scenarios. I'd say you should wait until the end of the next cycle, when we have 10 official quests available (3 core set, 6 expansion packs, 1 from GenCon/PoD), plus maybe another 20 fan-made ones (I'm sure NinjaDorg will keep producing them at a good rythm, and other fans will probably try their hand at it sooner or later [although he did set the bar high with the quality of his work]).

If, by this time, you're still able to use the same decks with the listed cards and breeze through all quests without sweat, then yeah, it'll be time to ask for changes to the game to make it more challenging. But right now, it's too soon.

And, personnaly, I'd replace Legolas with Thalin in your list of 6 heroes. Thalin's power is, in my opinion, better than Legolas, as he prevents those Eastern Crows from surging.

SiCK_Boy said:

Yes you everything what you say is right. If this will make the future quests and encounter decks more powerful will be ok. Actually that what all of us want.

And i really hope for that. But i talk to people who play HFG and some of them say is more easy than Anduin core quest. This make worried.

Dont get me wrong. I like the game i really deep inside the game. And i want the game expand and grow. But now the game not challenge for me anymore. And with another Heroes you cannot win at all. So we have couples of heroes who is to powerful and you win for sure. And all other (solo game) is to weak to look on them serious. I mean in tournaments perspective.Lets really hope is only begining and everything will change.

About idea :you can always make the house rules and play how you want. This not interesting. I prepare my self for tournaments and i dont want t have another play expirience other than official rules.

About Thalin why not i think he is really good, more players you have more better he is.But there is the problem still with more players game start to be walk in the park anyway.

I agree about Beravor's abilitie.It is ridiculous wen in the half of the game you have 35 cards in your hand.Just imagine a tournament game:wait a minute mate somewhere in my hand i think i have a hasty stroke.It will not take long i have only 35 cards in my hand i am sure i have one......

servant of the secret fire said:

I agree about Beravor's abilitie.It is ridiculous wen in the half of the game you have 35 cards in your hand.Just imagine a tournament game:wait a minute mate somewhere in my hand i think i have a hasty stroke.It will not take long i have only 35 cards in my hand i am sure i have one......

Yes Servant you pointed very well. Just look on all of this cards take a lot of time already. And on the tournaments every one will have same deck.

Actually is remind me the time of Lotr tcg Decipher. I lose one tournaments. We play very good final battle. They guy win. His deck was buid up around 1 card :Aragorn , Heir of the white City. Very powerful card. I cannot do nothing with that. Sa after 1 week after that tournament this card was banned. Funny a????

Back to our thing:

And as i say if you have a lot of resources you just look on the encounter cards which one is reveal now and think : ok coming one more card let check my hand and see what i do with this. And you have half of the deck in your hand there is ALL POSSIBILITY AND ANSWER FOR ALL SITUATION!!!!

I play many cards game but never see so crazy unlimited draw like a Beravur.

Glaurung said:

servant of the secret fire said:

Yes Servant you pointed very well. Just look on all of this cards take a lot of time already. And on the tournaments every one will have same deck.

Actually is remind me the time of Lotr tcg Decipher. I lose one tournaments. We play very good final battle. They guy win. His deck was buid up around 1 card :Aragorn , Heir of the white City. Very powerful card. I cannot do nothing with that. Sa after 1 week after that tournament this card was banned. Funny a????

Back to our thing:

And as i say if you have a lot of resources you just look on the encounter cards which one is reveal now and think : ok coming one more card let check my hand and see what i do with this. And you have half of the deck in your hand there is ALL POSSIBILITY AND ANSWER FOR ALL SITUATION!!!!

I play many cards game but never see so crazy unlimited draw like a Beravur.

I actually think Unexpected Courage is more to blame then Beravor. Having to exhaust a good hero to draw two extra cards is a difficult decision most of the time. When you don't actually have to exhaust the hero the choice no longer exists. My personal opinion is that Unexpected Courage should cost more.

Apophenia said:

I actually think Unexpected Courage is more to blame then Beravor. Having to exhaust a good hero to draw two extra cards is a difficult decision most of the time. When you don't actually have to exhaust the hero the choice no longer exists. My personal opinion is that Unexpected Courage should cost more.

Yes UC is what makes Beravor's abilitie so good.But if you make Beravor's abilitie once per turn then UC is not so powerfull on Beravor.

Apophenia said:

I actually think Unexpected Courage is more to blame then Beravor. Having to exhaust a good hero to draw two extra cards is a difficult decision most of the time. When you don't actually have to exhaust the hero the choice no longer exists. My personal opinion is that Unexpected Courage should cost more.th

For me UC is ok. This card is very good and powerful but not destroy balance of the game. Yes maybe cost is to low. And again about balance. To many good cards on the spirit site.

Glaurung said:

Apophenia said:

I actually think Unexpected Courage is more to blame then Beravor. Having to exhaust a good hero to draw two extra cards is a difficult decision most of the time. When you don't actually have to exhaust the hero the choice no longer exists. My personal opinion is that Unexpected Courage should cost more.th

For me UC is ok. This card is very good and powerful but not destroy balance of the game. Yes maybe cost is to low. And again about balance. To many good cards on the spirit site.

Maybe, but I am missing a very powerful hero on the spirit side... one with 10 or more threat.

I don't think that the Northern Tracker is broken, yes he is very good but he also costs 4 and at some point you need cards that can remove locations rather easily. Even with the tracker out you suffer location threat for 1 or 2 turns. He is not an cheap instant game breaker or as versatile as Gandalf, UC etc

After a couple of games I think Steward of Gondor is exceptionally good. I now its unique but it triples the resource production of a hero for a cost of two. Whenever I had it out in early or midgame that hero never had any resource problems any more. To make it less overpowered I suggest that you dont put the two generated resources into the resource pool of the hero but deduct two from the card cost you play (so you cant stockpile resources via SoG)

Iver said:

Glaurung said:

Apophenia said:

Maybe, but I am missing a very powerful hero on the spirit side... one with 10 or more threat.

maybe we will get it soon. And i think Galadriel perfect for this purpose.

Iver said:

Given that spirt decks work, in large part, by keeping threat level low, I am unsure you would benefit from a high cost here. Also, cost and power aren't the same. Spirit has the most played hero in the game. The community thinks that Eowyn is the most powerful hero available.

Bohemond said:

Iver said:

Given that spirt decks work, in large part, by keeping threat level low, I am unsure you would benefit from a high cost here. Also, cost and power aren't the same. Spirit has the most played hero in the game. The community thinks that Eowyn is the most powerful hero available.

maybe...but she is boring :P

well, yeah, i get your point, spirit has very strong cards for a very low cost. Still, a "big" Spirit hero would be welcomed on my side. ;)

I agree that a big spirit hero might play an interesting role in minor sphere decks.

Glaurung said:

maybe we will get it soon. And i think Galadriel perfect for this purpose.

That would be great but i am 99% sure that Galadriel will be a lore ally.But who knows we can always hope.

If one has problems with the cards - they can modify the rules accordingly... but I think the errata is too heavy... I don't know about you guys, but to be honest, I'm having a pretty tough time against the encounter deck -still! So it's kind of fun not knowing whether I'll win or not... also, I haven't played the game for about 3-4 weeks - and THAT does its wonders for you.... I do have a reinvigorated interest in the game, still facing challenges... etc... if you're winning all the time, you're doing something wrong... it is easy (esp 4 players), but not THAT easy....

1. I think Gimli is ok and the armor is the real balance problem. It think it would be best to: make armor add 2-3 defence and 0-1 vitality, add some keyword to make max 1 armor per hero limit. This way Gimli is not that big and he actually prefer his axe to deal damage.

2. I believe UC deserves a dot. I'm not really happy about the idea that IMO nowadays the best deck for solo should use 3 UC, best decks for 2 players should use altogether 6 UC, best for 3 players 9 UC.. When UC would become unique, I think Beravor would be balanced enough.

3. Maybe Northern Tracker should have a cap of some sort. maybe put 1 token on max 2-3 locations. But that change would be necessary mainly for 3+ player games.

I think it's the game mechanics that are the main problem. Shadow hits players all the time with the same strength. I mean in the beginning, 3 naked heroes with 1 resource each, surely is challenged by almost anything that comes from encounter deck. But as the game progresses heroes get allies, toys, cards.. while shadow still hits with relatively the same strength.

I think the solution would be to divide the encounter deck to 3 parts. First use part 1 as the encounter deck, then assuming 2 player game:

1st part = draw 2 encounter cards, when no cards left go to

2nd part = draw 3 encounter cards, when no cards left go to

last part = draw 4 encounter cards when no cards left maybe not reshuffle but assume the game is lost as players were not quick enough. Or assume players were not fast enough so they have to fight 3-9 nazguls, which may be represented by last cards(face down) in encounter deck.

avgzxc said:

I think it's the game mechanics that are the main problem. Shadow hits players all the time with the same strength. I mean in the beginning, 3 naked heroes with 1 resource each, surely is challenged by almost anything that comes from encounter deck. But as the game progresses heroes get allies, toys, cards.. while shadow still hits with relatively the same strength.

I think the solution would be to divide the encounter deck to 3 parts. First use part 1 as the encounter deck, then assuming 2 player game:

last part = draw 4 encounter cards when no cards left maybe not reshuffle but assume the game is lost as players were not quick enough. Or assume players were not fast enough so they have to fight 3-9 nazguls, which may be represented by last cards(face down) in encounter deck.

Cool ideas for future quests! Well, i would not say the game mechanic is brokend we just need 2 things basically:

Quests that equalize the fact that you get stronger and strong by time (like "helping friends" )

Stronger encounter cards ,or encounter card that for instance only kick in when in the later game: "if you have more than x allies in play or if your thread is higher than xx or of you have more than x attachments, than [something bad happens to you]" ;)

I think you get what i mean.

Iver said:

avgzxc said:

Cool ideas for future quests! Well, i would not say the game mechanic is brokend we just need 2 things basically:

Quests that equalize the fact that you get stronger and strong by time (like "helping friends" )

Stronger encounter cards ,or encounter card that for instance only kick in when in the later game: "if you have more than x allies in play or if your thread is higher than xx or of you have more than x attachments, than [something bad happens to you]" ;)

I think you get what i mean.

Absolutly right. The encounter deck should grow as well with the process of the game. But if you look on the Hunt for Gollum card there is effect x. So it make the game more hard for coop game. Bun defenitly you need a staging process as well. I mean on the first stage reveal 1 encounter card for player. On the second 1 encounter card for player +1 and third one encounter card for player +2. Something like this. For now if you build up 50 cards expert deck and play coop game is to easy. So we should to wait after 3-4 adventures pack and we will see where we are going.

I see the HFG cards and i like it. I see right things in my opinion to make balance of the game better