FAQ Excitement ~ denied

By The Professor, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Did anyone else get a bit excited when you saw the term "FAQ" appear twice on the home page in the past few weeks, only to discover it was for the Lord of the Rings game and then Twilight Imperium . While I realize that governmenal initiatives move with glacial alacrity, as a someone who works for DoJ, I'm utterly stunned as to how long it has taken to publish a FAQ ~ it's unfortunately, as Voltaire so aptly put it...Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien...The better is the enemy of the good.

I'm beginning to fear the FAQ. Its appearance may indicate that we can expect no further material for Arkham Horror.

Tibs said:

I'm beginning to fear the FAQ. Its appearance may indicate that we can expect no further material for Arkham Horror.

Unfounded speculation! I move to strike that from the record, Your Honor!

Motion denied.

The FAQ has been pushed back for three or four years, and that may have to do with the fact that new expansions means new questions. What better time to take a breather and settle everything once and for all then when it is truly once and for all?

Tibs said:

Motion denied.

The FAQ has been pushed back for three or four years, and that may have to do with the fact that new expansions means new questions. What better time to take a breather and settle everything once and for all then when it is truly once and for all?

preocupado.gif preocupado.gif preocupado.gif

What worries me is that the only two entities who have actually SEEN this FAQ are now taking opposite sides.

Yog, Nyarl, stop it! You're frightening the children!!!

Much as I love Arkham Horror, it's possible that 8 expansions are enough for any game. And yeah, they'll keep making 'em for as long as we keep buying 'em. But seriously, I"ve been to a lot of towns that had populations that were lower than the combined number of investigators and allies.

It's all speculation at this point. With few prior FAQs to extrapolate from, and with FFG's recent wave of unique releases in the franchise (spinoff game, expansion-expansion, revised expansion, novel), so far it's anyone's guess. But there's no way we'll never see it. That's for sure.

Thanks Tibs, by that reasoning, you've just pushed the FAQ into the Second Coming category...it's not that it will never happen...we just don't know who will be around to witness it. lengua.gif

Yog-Sothoth will.

jgt7771 said:

preocupado.gif preocupado.gif preocupado.gif

What worries me is that the only two entities who have actually SEEN this FAQ are now taking opposite sides.

Yog, Nyarl, stop it! You're frightening the children!!!

The children are more delicious to cook when they are filled with terror juice!

Tibs said:

It's all speculation at this point. With few prior FAQs to extrapolate from, and with FFG's recent wave of unique releases in the franchise (spinoff game, expansion-expansion, revised expansion, novel), so far it's anyone's guess. But there's no way we'll never see it. That's for sure.

Yeah, and didn't our NDAs only last for a year? ;')

The Professor said:

Thanks Tibs, by that reasoning, you've just pushed the FAQ into the Second Coming category...it's not that it will never happen...we just don't know who will be around to witness it. lengua.gif

From the editor/proofreaders' perspectives, it's more like the Fifth Coming...

I don't remember what the NDA said about statute of limitations but I'll be holding to it as long as it takes.

Tibs said:

I don't remember what the NDA said about statute of limitations but I'll be holding to it as long as it takes.

The people have a right to know! But, um, yeah. I guess :'r

Avi_dreader said:

The people have a right to know! But, um, yeah. I guess :'r

I could have sworn I read somewhere on these forums that there definitely was a FAQ in the works?

And wasn't the plan to release it after Miskatonic Horror? Or perhaps that was a fevered dream on my part.. preocupado.gif

It's unfortunate that now whenever I think of the Arkham Horror FAQ I'm reminded of some mythical treasure a la Indiana Jones which very few men have actually beheld...

sad.gif

We have beheld it. And the best thing we can tell you is... Arkham Horror is a game, but also, a makeshift story . When you come to a rules impass, think long and hard about the possibilities—consult with your fellow players—and the decision that makes the most sense—not the ones that is "most rules lawyer-y"—is most probably right. That was the "original" definition of the term "Arkham's Razor."

Consider game-based ramifications, and thematic ramifications. When ruling in favor of theme, will mechanics be screwed? When you have to rule in favor of mechanics, can you accept or fancifully justify the implications? Does your interpretation even make sense at all? (For example, Charlie Kane most definitely does not immediately obtain allies that are returned to the box. Marie Lambeau's Third Eye does not work with Martial Arts, and the Axe and Gladius get a +1 bonus because you're equipping them with both hands .)

When in complete doubt, do what hurts the investigators more. This, of course, is the more recent definition of "Arkham's Razor," and is a fine rule of thumb.

I guess what I'm saying is, unless you're hell-bent on the letter of the rules, then don't get too worked up over the FAQ. In the meantime, play what feels right.

Tibs said:

I guess what I'm saying is, unless you're hell-bent on the letter of the rules, then don't get too worked up over the FAQ. In the meantime, play what feels right.

So..

Arkham Horror or: How I learned to Stop Worrying (about the rules) and Love the Game (by meta-gaming them on the fly)?

cool.gif

Nameless1 said:

It's unfortunate that now whenever I think of the Arkham Horror FAQ I'm reminded of some mythical treasure a la Indiana Jones which very few men have actually beheld...

FFG has top men working on it right now.

Top. Men.

jgt7771 said:

FFG has top men working on it right now.

Top. Men.

LOL!

It belongs in a museum!

Tibs said:

When in complete doubt, do what hurts the investigators more. This, of course, is the more recent definition of "Arkham's Razor," and is a fine rule of thumb.

Oh yes, the things that Arkham's Razor can do to thumbs ;'D

@Nameless1

Yes... If you feel the rules are not working out for you, nuke your board!

It's the only way to be sure.

(boy, the movie references are all over the place in here)