UK players

By Hapthorne, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I suspect like a lot of players, I've come to a game of throne via the tv series - and am now reading first book ( can't believe this series slipped under my radar)

I've managed to talk a couple of friends into getting the core set and a couple of chapters, because we are all new players I wondered: do the chapters relate closely to the storyline and should we be looking at buying the earliest chapters to avoid plot spoilers in story

also are there many players in the UK

thanks for your time

Happy

The Chapter packs are usually unrelated to the story lines. It's just a fancy name for a 40/60 card pack that isn't a booster pack and isn't a theme deck. There are some spoilers, but most of them spoil events in the first book, or are vague enough that you wouldn't get the reference until after you've read the relevant part of the story.

As for what chapter packs to buy - the newer packs (The Brotherhood without Banners cycle and the Secrets of Oldtown cycle) have a much more favoruable distribution (3 copies of 20 cards, rather than 1 copy of 10 cards and 3 copies of 10 cards) than older packs (The Clash of Arms cycle, Song of Seaons cycle, King's Landing Cycle and Defenders of the North cycle) and are fairly powerful. However, the older packs also have some very powerful cards that are worth playing. You might want to hold back before buying the old packs, though, because there are rumours about an upcoming reprint in the new distribution pack.

The consensus is that it's best to start by getting another copy of the core set, then a revised Greyjoy or Martell expansion.

There's definitely been a great increase in interset in the game in the UK after the TV series. The London meta is doubling in size because of the TV Series - there's been an influx of new players and people wanting to try the game. There's also a meta in Stoke. I'm sure there are also groups elsewhere in the UK, but they don't seem to post on the forums.

Cheers mate, that clarified things for me... I've seen CCg cards being sold as singles, would these fit with the LCG or are there subtle differences that would unbalance games?

Hapthorne said:

Cheers mate, that clarified things for me... I've seen CCg cards being sold as singles, would these fit with the LCG or are there subtle differences that would unbalance games?

If you're playing casually, most of them will work fine, although they tend to be more powerful than LCG cards (some cards not so much, some cards a lot). But the LCG has such a big card pool now, there's really no reason to stack up on CCG cards except that you can get the booster boxes for relatively little money. I don't think buying singles isn't gonna be worth it unless you find a meta that is still playing the CCG version.

whereabouts in UK are you? I know there's a London group that play, but I've never made it down that far- I'm hoping the boost in interest after the TV series will see something happening in the Midlands

I'm also in the UK, up in Glasgow. I haven't been able to make it down to London yet either, but I'm trying to find/establish a bit of a Scottish meta.

I'd be one of the Northeners guarding the Wall (Hadrians Wall) happy.gif

I'm up in Newcastle

I'm new after watching the series and now reading through the books. I'm in Swansea so no gamers here that I can find really :(

Always good to hear that there's interest in the game, especially now that the TV Series and the new book are happening.

If any of you chaps are interested, the London meta (/casual crowd) are doing a meetup in Central London on the 31st of July. We'd be delighted to see you there (+any interested lurkers reading this thread) if you fancy it.

Problem with london is that its expensive to get to and expensive to stay overnight. Going up and back in a day isn't really an option as that would be 7-8 hours on a train plus getting to the venue from paddington on top. If I could teleport there I would however...

Anyone in Manchester?

Twentyft said:

I'm also in the UK, up in Glasgow. I haven't been able to make it down to London yet either, but I'm trying to find/establish a bit of a Scottish meta.

yo I am in glasgow. Where do you play?

I only just bought this a few days ago and would be good to talk to someone who knows what they are doing!

I don't get to play that often, because I've had a hard time finding other players out here. I've introduced the game to a few people, but no real takers, and I've played a bit online.

I've got posts up on other forums as well as this one, trying to find some more Glasgow players. It's good to have finally found one.

If you're up for a game, let's set something up. My email is [email protected].

Cool. Deffo up for a game.

my email is [email protected]

warning tho - I only started playing a few days ago and still do not have many cards. i actually just went online to see what I could get, but alot of things sold out. I was thinking Kings of Winter and Lords of Storms to start