Ebrose's Epiphany - Martell Maester, Too Good?

By lahomen, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

This is a deck I call Ebrose's Epiphany, and I think it is too good. Archmaester Ebrose allows you to claim (limited response) one power for each chain on him. Start with the Maester's Path, each of the 6 chains on it. Try to put lots of chains on Ebrose, but you can also put them on other maesters at first, then use chain recursion (or Citadel of Oldtown) to get them back and onto Ebrose later. My record with this deck is a turn 2 win with 14 power on Ebrose.

Turn 1 I normally use At the Gates for Maester Luwin, but you could also grab a Maester of War. Or, if you have an Ebrose in hand (or Citadel of Oldtown), use Summoning Season to get Ebrose. If you run into any problem characters, like Melisandre, use Time of Ravens for a Carrion Bird, and use your Copper Link to make her a Raven. Copper link also works with Tin Link for attachment control, with Sand Snakes, Maester Aemon, and with Alchemist's Shop.

Turn 2 (or 3) I usually flip Prince that was Promised, once Ebrose gets a couple chains on him. Then give him the rest of your chains, and claim power on his final challenge. Win.

I think Ebrose is way too powerful - try the deck and find out for yourself! Also posted at agotcards: ( http://www.agotcards.org/deck/v/1536 )

(House Card (1)
House Martell

Agendas (1)
The Maester's Path, Gates of the Citadel

Plots (7)
Summoning Season
Wildfire Assault
At the Gates
Fury of the Sun
To the Spears!
The Prince That Was Promised
A Time for Ravens

Characters (28)
Tyene Sand
Refugee of the Citadel x3
The Conclave x3
Nymeria Sand
Maester of Lemonwood x2
Maester Luwin x2
Obella Sand
Maester of War x3
Oldtown Scholar x2
Leyton Hightower
Maester of the Sun x2
Carrion Bird x3
Maester Aemon, Core Set
Archmaester Ebrose x3

Events (10)
Distinct Mastery x3
Burning on the Sand x2
He Calls It Thinking x2
Beware of the Sphinx x3

Locations (11)
Alchemist's Shop
Water Garden x3
River Row
Shadowblack Lane
Street of Sisters
The Citadel of Oldtown x3
The Searoad

Attachments (11)
Apprentice Collar x3
Tin Link
Lead Link
Pale Steel x3
Bronze Link x2
Copper Link

I am also trying out an alternate version, using two Lomys instead of the two Luwins, for more protection of Ebrose.

What type of decks have you play tested it aginst?

Whats its record vs: Lanni Kneel, Martell Brohterhood and GreyJoy Chock?

yeah I can see some major holes in this deck. Lanny kneel would make Ebrose useless each turn so no power for him. Targ burn will just waste him before you ever get a chance to attack with him, and other top tier decks could easily laugh at building a deck around this guy. But I'm never one to shy away from trying out someone's deck.

At just a quick look their seem to be alot of saves in this deck. Inlcuding one that works vs burn. In addtion he has he calls it thinking to prevent some knell and can use the prince that was promised to get around black cells i would think. He also has hightower to stop events from shutting Ebrose down.

It looks nice on paper. ;)

I would guess that we are going to see alot of this at GenCon if Ebrose is not nerfed.

I will try it a bit tommorow and let you know how my games went.

cheers

I'm 2-0 v. GJ choke, 2-0 v. burn, 3-0 v. Brotherhood, and 1-1 v. Lanni kneel. Toughest matchup for sure. He Calls it Thinking, Distinct Mastery, and Obella Sand are anti-kneel. Putting attachments on Ebrose also protects him, and At the Gates for Lomys protects from Valar. You also need to win one challenge with Ebrose himself to win the game. In my win v. Lanni, I gave him 7 chains, stood him by making him a Sand Snake (vengeful), and won one challenge for 7 power and the win.

You could also put more than one ¿Tin Link? (the one that gives a trait to a card) on him, and then put some other not chain attachments.....then you could use the links to give those attachments the chain trait and voila you have a couple more power for him. xD.

I'm making a Clansman deck with a few maesters and links. Imagine this combo.

Embrose with a lot of attachments.....you attack in a power challenge.....you win a lot of power.....(of course you gave him the clansman trait).....then you play the event that let you attack with knelt clansmen and attack with embrose again........OVERKILL.

choco said:

Embrose with a lot of attachments.....you attack in a power challenge.....you win a lot of power.....(of course you gave him the clansman trait).....then you play the event that let you attack with knelt clansmen and attack with embrose again........OVERKILL.

To use him with Rise of the Mountain Clans you'd need to give him a military icon as well, though. Easier to just play Distinct Mastery on him to stand him, and you get to trigger all his chains again.

You are right......I forgot to tell you that with the plot (at the gates) I don't use luwin, instead i use the martell one that gives maesters the melee icon. And in my deck i also use the mimes so they are maester and clansman.

And you can always use both events so you can attack in 3 challenges. Or with one or the other if you haven´t drew esither of them yet.

The other good thing of using maesters in the clansman deck is the attachment recovery from discarding. Something you have to do sometimes to have less cards than the rest.

Well, is just a fun idea to use the maesters differently.

choco said:

You are right......I forgot to tell you that with the plot (at the gates) I don't use luwin, instead i use the martell one that gives maesters the melee icon. And in my deck i also use the mimes so they are maester and clansman.

And you can always use both events so you can attack in 3 challenges. Or with one or the other if you haven´t drew esither of them yet.

The other good thing of using maesters in the clansman deck is the attachment recovery from discarding. Something you have to do sometimes to have less cards than the rest.

Well, is just a fun idea to use the maesters differently.

Sounds quite fun, actually. Cute ideas with the Campfire Mimes and Maester of War.

Were any of those decks running Too Proud to Bow?

Skowza said:

I have never seen that card used.

jmccarthy said:

Skowza said:

I have never seen that card used.

Sounds like a good reason to consider using it. Almost every deck has a few neutral characters that it would be nice to get rid of, and it would absolutely wreck Brotherhood and Maester decks sometimes.

With the new errata, I will have to switch out Luwin/Lomys, and will likely switch out the Carrion Birds too. This seems like a semi-official announcement from FFG that Archmaester Ebrose is NOT overpowered. After playing a number of games with him, I would say he is ridiculously good, but perhaps not "broken," or "busted." Still, a very good card.