What a great game!

By Fablar, in Citadels

Just played this for the first time last night - me and 3 other people had a couple of games. Just thought I'd post here (as it seems a bit quiet) to say what a great little game i thought it was. I can see it getting a great deal of play in future (as long as we have 4+ people - I can't imingine it working that well with less).

The gameĀ“s fine... and it works with fewer than 4, but is a bit dull if they are of different levels (something like playing with your gf or really young kids)

Agreed, Zion - my roommate and I have played a two-player game and we were pretty satisfied with it, but if you play with people who are not as experienced with the game, it's too easy to dominate in a 2- or 3-player game. But I like how different the game is when you get to use two characters.

Fabs said:

Just played this for the first time last night - me and 3 other people had a couple of games. Just thought I'd post here (as it seems a bit quiet) to say what a great little game i thought it was. I can see it getting a great deal of play in future (as long as we have 4+ people - I can't imingine it working that well with less).

I've seen quite a few positive reviews; there's a translated version in the nearby store, and it's cheap, so I'm thinking to pick it up just for curiositiy.

Yeah the first time I played it was just against my brother. It wasn't nearly as stellar or as exciting as more players, but it's a good way to learn and still playable.

The first time I played Citadels was with my 7 old sister, I was on 17 and she won, so don't underrate the kids gran_risa.gif I had the chance to play with maximum players, all were near 18 years old, and i can only say - more excited game I have never played! So, if you have the chance to play with so much people - do not miss it! happy.gif

My now 12 year old daughter has loved this game for a couple of years. We've never managed to get my wife to play, but hopefully someday. I still haven't found the right balance of original and Dark City characters, but I usually just let the kid pick the ones she wants.

I actually quite enjoy three player games as you get a choice of two characters that way. I think it adds a neat little extra to the game and an extra component to think about.

sepayne7l said:

My now 12 year old daughter has loved this game for a couple of years. We've never managed to get my wife to play, but hopefully someday. I still haven't found the right balance of original and Dark City characters, but I usually just let the kid pick the ones she wants.

Personal opinion, all of one set or all of the other. I have disliked every game I have played with mixed characters sets.

myrm said:

Personal opinion, all of one set or all of the other. I have disliked every game I have played with mixed characters sets.

Really my group and I have found some othe Expansion characters more or less game balancing. We switched to the Witch over Assassin. Tax Collector over Thief, and Wizard over Mage. All others we left out because they are in our opinion overpowered. We also went through and selected all the purple areas to throw in that add more variety fro achieving victory points, but left out anything seemed overpowered once again and so far it has made the game much more enjoyable.

I used to mostly play this just with my gf. After I'd played it a good 8-10 times, I played it with three others. I like how the tactics change, and how you sometimes, but not always, have to pick the less obvious choice for your card. I especially like the thief in larger games, if you're one of the early pickers. If it's fairly obvious what cards the later people will choose, you can take your pick of whose pockets you want to empty. Nothing better than the warm fuzzy feeling of getting lots of gold, AND watching their plans fall apart.

Yes, I love Citadels. It is a great game, and is even better with more players. I don't think I've ever played Citadels with 2 or 3 players. I think the smallest group I've played it in was at least 4 players, so I can't attest to how good or not good it is as a 2 or 3 player game. And I wouldn't knock playing it with your gf or kids, especially if they are gaming geeks!! I'm a chick and a big gaming geek!! But yes, I agree playing with others who are playing at the same level as you adds to the challenge. Most of the people I've played Citadels with are the gamers from my game group, so this isn't usually something that is an issue.

might have to try this one out? preocupado.gif

Playing Citadels 2 player with another experienced player is quite a mind bending experience. I think it is the best 2 player game I have played, you have so much knowledge of what your opponent could have but that knowledge is not complete. Hence the potential for bluffing and counter bluffing is immense. I think there is a slight issue with the 3 player variant which gives too much knowledge and therefore game control to the crown but there are variants to resolve this. Also because with the 2 player game allows 2 characters per round the game play is fast and frenetic, I love it.

simulacra said:

Playing Citadels 2 player with another experienced player is quite a mind bending experience. I think it is the best 2 player game I have played, you have so much knowledge of what your opponent could have but that knowledge is not complete. Hence the potential for bluffing and counter bluffing is immense. I think there is a slight issue with the 3 player variant which gives too much knowledge and therefore game control to the crown but there are variants to resolve this. Also because with the 2 player game allows 2 characters per round the game play is fast and frenetic, I love it.

Totally agree with you here, only played 2 player and it can get pretty tense :)

Gutts said:

simulacra said:

Totally agree with you here, only played 2 player and it can get pretty tense :)

I am glad to hear this. I just bought the game thinking it might only be good with a lot of players. Now I can't wait to try it with just 2!

This is a solid game. My group has always played with four or more but I'd try it with less.

So if this game is good even with two players, is it play-with-your-gf good? And how good? Like, Lost Cities good, in that respect? Or Dominion good (works with two players but damned if most women want to play it... 'cept maybe Elektra.)

I'll concur - I actually PREFER it with 2 or 3 players! :)

I had fun playing this as well. My only criticism of the game is that it would have been nice to have at least a small summary character sheet to refer to. We spent quite a bit of time looking up all the characters in the rulebook when picking a character card. Mainly it was trying to deduce what other players picked so we could pick one. Maybe we were a little to competitive and we should just pick a character and see how it all plays out. I am sure that eventually when the players become familiar with the characters we will no longer be looking up characters in the rules or have use for a sheet. But it would be a nice add in for new players to quickly refer to.

Absolutely love this game.