Couple of procedure questions

By AWAD, in Citadels

Played for the first time tonight and a couple of items came up that I just want to make sure I got it right.

1) The ability of the Merchant/ Bishop/etc to pull extra gold occurs at any time during his turn. So he can play the appropriate district and then utilize his ability to get an extra gold, correct?

2) Thief only steals what is in the players bank. So if the King will get extra gold due to his ability the thief will not get that as he steals the gold at the very beginning of the turn, correct?

In general I was not sure up front but after a few hands the game in general has a very interesting feel. Love the fact you can finish 8 first yet still loose.

For my eight year old he was able to pick up basic mechanics and simples ideas and strategy pretty quickly. So he did OK with the adults. Wonder how this plays with a horde of 12 year olds/.

Thanks in advance

AWAD

1) Yes, you are doing it correctly. It also means that sometimes you can make free building, t.i., build for one gold, get one back.

2) Yes, you are correct.

And i haven't tried Citadels with bunch of kids as i don't have any myself yet, so i don't know how it would play out with bunch of 12 y.o.'s :)

I already did with 4 other 11-years old (pupils in the open-air school some two years ago). It was quite okay... which really surprised me.

Regarding #2, the theif steals everything that the player has at the start of that player's turn . Any gold acquired later, through an action or special ability, is immune. So you are correct.

You are correct about #1 as well.

I have a questions about an expansion character: Queen. The rules say that the Queen gets extra gold if siting near the King. What does it mean? The player who has the crown, or the player who's character is King? Because this character may not be chosen.

Pjovejas said:

I have a questions about an expansion character: Queen. The rules say that the Queen gets extra gold if siting near the King. What does it mean? The player who has the crown, or the player who's character is King? Because this character may not be chosen.

Well... it seems like a rules questions are ignored by those who publish the game... sad...

Seeing as she's used in an 8-9 player game (and the Emporer) I go with either/or. Then if that player's beside both they get 2 gold, making the Queen slightly less useless.

Pjovejas said:

It is the player who holds the King/Emporer card. The token is just the crown that represents who goes first next round. And whent eh King is playing, this will bet eh same person - for the new King is revealed at Step 4 and immediately takes the crown. The Queen does not get her gold until it is her turn at Step 9. (Or "step 10" so to speak when a dead king is revealed after the Queen has played).

Again, with the Emperor, it is the crown that is passed around. But the Queen only benefits if she is sitting next tot he player who took the emperor card.