Before we go...let’s speculate one last time. What do you think the next cycle will be?

By Mimi61, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

On 12/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Mimi61 said:

I will start it off with a vote for a Mountains of Madness theme. It’s been three cycles since we have had an expedition.
Since Leo Anderson was in the Forgotten Age as expedition leader and Monterey Jack was mentioned in set up, it stands to reason that Monterey Jack would be the de facto Expedition Leader for a Mountains of Madness expedition and Leo Anderson would be mentioned in the set up.

What do you have against Ursula? 🤔

I too would very much enjoy Mountains of Madness to be the next cycle.

17 hours ago, Daedalus said:

What do you have against Ursula? 🤔

I too would very much enjoy Mountains of Madness to be the next cycle.

Yeah, that was my oops! I forgot to add her in my haste to share my Montgomery Jack theory. 😳
I really liked playing her! She saved our hineys in TFA with The Gold Pocket Watch. It was one of those epic endings that came down to the last action and we won. World Saved ✔️

Edited by Mimi61

I don't use the forums half as much as I should but will miss them when they're gone.

I hope they do a big Call of Cthulhu campaign soon, would be great to see mechanics and ideas such as explore, vehicles, hidden cards and divergent multi investigator games (dreameaters) all come together in a truly terrifying campaign!

As for investigators I hope to see more ideas like Norman Withers, 0 level in their own class but build in another. I've seen it mentioned that Lily Chen would be great as a guardian or mystic, why not start 0 mystic and build into a formidable fighter? Same with Jack, start out as a ropey rogue and build into a proficient seeker?

so this means the next chapter can be the last of this game ? i thought the game was going well.. kinda sad that after the star wars lcg the only lcg game i kinda cared is getting done too.. oh well..

@gmcc There's no indication the game's ending anytime soon. In fact, the opposite is true. But they are shutting the forums down, unrelated.

9 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

@gmcc There's no indication the game's ending anytime soon. In fact, the opposite is true. But they are shutting the forums down, unrelated.

hum hope ur right about that.. but why are servers going down ? dont come here for sometime

Because running forums is a huge cost with little easily realizable benefit.

It's not a zero cost obviously since boards need to be maintained, hosted and moderated. If they wanted there to be more of a perceived value to community building in their own space then they could certainly work toward that, but clearly they want to lean more on social media.... which is not a good thing in my opinion but it is the time we live in currently. It is certainly cheaper.

As to concerns about AH:TCG's health don't be concerned. Even if they shut FFG down for some catastrophic reason Asmodee would keep the profitable products that are working alive using some other studio probably with the same people if they can help it. We've seen precedent for that already with for example the RPG products and we've gotten every indication that AH:TCG is one of their better performing products. So they've be literally insane to shut that revenue stream off. This all feels like big corporate belt tightening. Clearly they are making FFG as lean as possible, and that's been a constant theme throughout 2020 and into 2021.

19 hours ago, gmcc said:

so this means the next chapter can be the last of this game ? i thought the game was going well.. kinda sad that after the star wars lcg the only lcg game i kinda cared is getting done too.. oh well..

No, the game is doing incredibly well. I’m sure it comes down to cost. It’s too bad, because the big forums feel so much less like a community. I’m not a major fan of social media. This one has been a gem!

3 hours ago, phillos said:

It's not a zero cost obviously since boards need to be maintained, hosted and moderated. If they wanted there to be more of a perceived value to community building in their own space then they could certainly work toward that, but clearly they want to lean more on social media.... which is not a good thing in my opinion but it is the time we live in currently. It is certainly cheaper.

As to concerns about AH:TCG's health don't be concerned. Even if they shut FFG down for some catastrophic reason Asmodee would keep the profitable products that are working alive using some other studio probably with the same people if they can help it. We've seen precedent for that already with for example the RPG products and we've gotten every indication that AH:TCG is one of their better performing products. So they've be literally insane to shut that revenue stream off. This all feels like big corporate belt tightening. Clearly they are making FFG as lean as possible, and that's been a constant theme throughout 2020 and into 2021.

so where is people going to discuss the game now? 😕
good to know , but aren't they getting out of material ?

They have investigators in the queue for at least three more cycles and plenty of themes to explore left in the cycles themselves so realistically if they keep adding more original investigators and cycle themes they could go on for several more years easily. LOTR LCG still has a longer run than this game so there is precedent for it to still have a healthy life ahead of it.

As far as where to go for discussion I am a part of the various discord groups for the podcasts that cover the game. I mostly look at the Mythos Busters discord and the Team Covenant discord for the game. I believe Drawn To The Flame also has one but I think it's for Patreon subscribers only (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Mythos Busters is by far the most active one I am a member of currently. Both TC and MB have live chats for when they stream their games. Also I have posted on BGG in the past though it's a wider audience and less moderated board. So I preferred here, but I do still look over there often.

Edited by phillos

Does anyone think that the art on Eye of Chaos is supposed to be Lily Chen?

On 1/25/2021 at 1:17 PM, gmcc said:

so where is people going to discuss the game now? 😕
good to know , but aren't they getting out of material ?

Several are going to BGG or are already there. Some are on Arkham LCG subreddit. I have never really used either site, but may have to troll them now! I will miss our little get togethers!

Edited by Mimi61
13 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I thought this. I suppose being the "chosen one" during the endtimes and squaring off against the Ancient Ones is probably a bit of a curse too. Cursed Lilly deck? Hmmm.

12 hours ago, Soakman said:

I thought this. I suppose being the "chosen one" during the endtimes and squaring off against the Ancient Ones is probably a bit of a curse too. Cursed Lilly deck? Hmmm.

Hmmm. Interesting notion.

I'd definitely like to see a curse equivalent of Mateo, but I'm not sure if Lily's the right choice. For starters, most of the curse cards involve knowingly entangling yourself with dark forces to exploit them, rather than being unwillingly cursed. More importantly, the curse tokens are in Innsmouth, so any future investigator would need that box in addition to their own deluxe to work. That was okay for Mateo, whose trait access was more of a flavor thing at the time, but it'll be harder to swallow when it looks like FFG's deliberately locking out most of their deckbuilding options.

My expectation is that we'll see Cursed 0-3 as a parallel deckbuilding option for an existing investigator. My money would be on Calvin, since his entire backstory is that he's willingly become Nyarlathotep's pawn, believing he can exploit his role to save Joao (and the rest of the world in the process).

The obvious one for a Curse-based investigator would be Rex, who starts off cursed in Eldritch Horror etc.

If he had an ability that was essentially reverse Mary (adding a Curse every round), he'd even be reasonable with his pre-taboo ability!

I am kinda hoping Parallel Rex is high on the list after the core set investigators. Would be nice to see a more interesting approach to his Cursed themed.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, Mimi61 said:

Eye of Chaos Hypnotic Gaze Healing Words

I think Lily is the only investigator to be on art for 3 different card and not yet be a playable investigator.

Is that Lily on Hypnotic Gaze? Aside from the red dress it doesn't seem like her - the hair is all wrong. Definitely seems like her on Eye of Chaos though.

23 hours ago, phillos said:

I am kinda hoping Parallel Rex is high on the list after the core set investigators. Would be nice to see a more interesting approach to his Cursed themed.

You would think they want to fix him in some way, so that seems totally logical.

I don't think that's Lily on Healing words? That woman seems to have a much broader face.