Out of Print?

By tworekthomas, in Dead of Winter

Today the FFG store lists all Dead of Winter products as Out of Stock. This is a little concerning. Since the acquisition of this property from Plaid Hat Games there has been only one announcement, and that was to announce the acquisition from Plaid Hat Games. I am hoping that this series will continue, but the silence from FFG and now the shelf status of the entire franchise does not inspire confidence.

This series needs more content. Just look at the long threads on BoardGameGeek.com discussing potential expansions. The fandom is there. I am ready to buy more products in this line. Perhaps Fantasy Flight Games can change the way expansions are released. Perhaps they would rather sell smaller collections of new characters, crossroads and tokens instead of something the size of Warring Colonies or even The Long Night. As far as I can see this franchise could benefit from new releases every year, perhaps multiple times each year. Hope to see some good news soon!

On 10/18/2020 at 6:53 PM, tworekthomas said:

Today the FFG store lists all Dead of Winter products as Out of Stock. This is a little concerning. Since the acquisition of this property from Plaid Hat Games there has been only one announcement, and that was to announce the acquisition from Plaid Hat Games. I am hoping that this series will continue, but the silence from FFG and now the shelf status of the entire franchise does not inspire confidence.

This series needs more content. Just look at the long threads on BoardGameGeek.com discussing potential expansions. The fandom is there. I am ready to buy more products in this line. Perhaps Fantasy Flight Games can change the way expansions are released. Perhaps they would rather sell smaller collections of new characters, crossroads and tokens instead of something the size of Warring Colonies or even The Long Night. As far as I can see this franchise could benefit from new releases every year, perhaps multiple times each year. Hope to see some good news soon!

Who knows how much Covid has affected printing and distribution and other plans? It's probably something like that. Or maybe they're planning a second edition. The only thing I can't imagine is them keeping the rights after letting Plaid Hat go only to stop producing the game.

I hope it is merely a production slowdown or packaging delays during these uncertain times. They wouldn't obtain the rights to simply let the IP languish, but I would love to hear some reassurance that DoW is still moving forward.