Folenn — A Fantasy Setting

By HedgeWizard, in Your Settings

Hey gaming friends!

Creating this as ground zero for sharing my content for my home brew setting—Folenn. It's a relatively generic fantasy setting. The genesis (ha!) is I started my kids with D&D 5e some time ago, but I've always preferred the narrative dice system, and after playing some Star Wars, they agreed it would be fun to switch. Anyway, this world is a cobbled together mish-mash of D&D tropes and peppered liberally with content and characters from some of their favorite fantasy books/stories.

Anyway, I'll start adding links here to content that could be useful to other fantasy folks. Feedback is welcome!

Note: All the art in screenshots I share are inspirational/springboards for my kids, and will not be part of the documents I share as I obviously don't own the rights

Edited by HedgeWizard

PS. Most content (like PDFs, etc.) are optimized for my tablet which I have handy at the table.

a few folks on other threads have asked what my GM workflow is, so I thought I would share here. Everything here is for the fantasy game I am running, but I also have a workup for the sci-fi setting I run friends through (think cowboy bebop meets the expanse with splashes of mass effect & shadowrun).

I work up sessions using Trello (awesome tool - especially for people who think visually), and I leverage the 35 Min Prep concepts in the awesome Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master . Essentially each area covered in the 35 min prep guide is a column or stack, with entries in cards.

Here's an example of my Folenn Trello Board

The great thing I've come to love about using Trello at the table, is I can click on an NPC card, or Monster card, or Location, or Encounter card and have the details right at my fingertips. For example, in a latest scenario they squared off mobs of Zombies and Skeletons and a Nemesis Necromancer. Since the monster cards I created are pngs (see below), and you can attach any number of images or pdfs to a single card, I can click on the 1 Encounter Card (say Necromancer) and have all the undead beasts as my finger tip.

image.png.b3497d5c8ee49bc2401725bdfb8bc386.png

I've added my map of the northern part of the continent of Folenn.

A teaser image:

1527813991_FolennMasterMINI.jpg.81fdc6837fad6299817322d371547028.jpg

How are you creating your NPC cards? I really like how clean yours looks. I've been making mine in OneNote initially to get stats down but now want to move them into a more presentable format. I'd like to eventually make my own "Monster Manual" and have been looking for an easy to use template.

I use something that makes zero sense, but it's been part of my design workflow for years. I use Curio on OS X. it's essentially a whiteboarding/brainstorming app for Mac. But it allows you to layer and create shapes, etc. I've been using it so long, I can quickly work these things up, rather that learn Photoshop or some specific art program.

Map created with?

This looks nice and the layout is really clean. I like it very much. Keep up the good work 🙂

On 5/17/2020 at 4:34 AM, Sturn said:

Map created with?

Wonderdraft - like any cartography software, it's got its quirks. I was up and running quite quickly, and now that I know a few of the quirks (like how to quickly/easily get some variegated trees in a forest), I am enjoying using.

I might also try Inkarnate too.

3 hours ago, HedgeWizard said:

Wonderdraft - like any cartography software, it's got its quirks. I was up and running quite quickly, and now that I know a few of the quirks (like how to quickly/easily get some variegated trees in a forest), I am enjoying using.

I might also try Inkarnate too.

I like the painted look.

Just added a small PDF with environmental encounter cards.

I was hoping to add an image of one of the cards here, but without hosting that image separately somewhere, it looks I can't share it here.

Also added the first part of my 4 part bestiary .