SWSheets - Under New Stewardship

By sparker, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

When I started SWSheets in the summer of 2015, I never guessed it would see any adoption outside my local EotE group. Today, the site has almost 10K characters and continues to grow – nearly half of the site’s 7500 users joined in 2019. Seeing this community grow and adopt the site has truly meant a great deal to me.

However, my career changed in 2017 and left little time for side projects. I’ve continued to pay the monthly bills for the servers, but that’s been the extent of my stewardship. Since 2017, I’ve been waiting in my hut in the desert and looking for the one to bring balance to the force.

A New Hope
This past November, Nick “ @duffn ” Duffy started contributing new features to the site at a furious pace. Here’s just some of the highlights of his work:

• FINALLY allowed Knowledge: Warfare and Lightsaber in all systems (you have no idea how many people asked for this over the years)
  • Added the “Adjustments” column on skills to track your automatic boosts and other modifiers
  • Added ranks to talents
  • New look & feel on the site
  • Added private notes to characters & vehicles
  • A bunch of smaller “quality of life” enhancements that you may not notice

Through this work, Nick has proven himself to be a good steward of SWSheets. As such, I’m handing over ownership of the domain and the servers to his care.

What This Means For Users
Nick pays the bills on the site and is the new benevolent dictator of its future. I will always care about this site and this community, so I’ll continue to have access in case he goes rogue or has questions.

What This Doesn't Mean for users
The site and all content on it is licensed as CreativeCommons-NonCommercial, so Nick cannot decide to start making money off of SWSheets without launching a brand new site. Likewise, the site is still entirely open source so anyone can contribute.

In short, you’re getting a better steward and more new features, but you shouldn’t expect a major change in the site’s direction.

Thank You
While finding a new owner is the obviously right thing to do, this is still a hard decision for me to make. This community’s adoption, suggestions, and contributions over the years has always meant a lot to me. I hope in a few years’ time that I can get back to making fun roleplaying tools for all of you.

I cannot wait to see what @duffn does with the site. Assuming his posts start getting approved by moderators, I'll let him reply below with his thoughts.

Edited by sparker

I've always thought it would be fun to put my PCs up on this site, but they're all saved in OggDude character generator format and they're high level enough that it would be exhausting to copy all those talents over by hand.

Thank you for imagining this incredible project @sparker . It's been amazing contributing and I only hope I can do as much for the SWRPG community as you have!

21 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

I've always thought it would be fun to put my PCs up on this site, but they're all saved in OggDude character generator format and they're high level enough that it would be exhausting to copy all those talents over by hand.

If I can get a 1800+ XP Force user with over 5 specs and 13 Force powers on SWSheets... :P

21 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

Hmm, first request for @duffn ? An XML ingest of an Oggdude's character export. :D

14 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

Hmm, first request for @duffn ? An XML ingest of an Oggdude's character export. :D

If only Oggdude provided an xsd.

Or better yet, switch to JSON.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, kaosoe said:

You can export characters as xml. That should hopefully make it easy to import. I haven't touched xml in years, but I remember it being pretty structured.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, sparker said:

I cannot wait to see what @duffn does with the site. Assuming his posts start getting approved by moderators, I'll let him reply below with his thoughts.

Does anyone know how to get forum / mod help around these parts? @duffn would really love to be able to reply to these posts, but his replies seem to be permanently stuck awaiting moderation.

Until that happens, any feature requests for the site will have to go straight to Nick via the SWRPG Discord Server

It's probably because he has not posted anything. It's likely a measure to prevent spam bots.

6 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

It's probably because he has not posted anything. It's likely a measure to prevent spam bots.

Not from the PM I got. It's simply because he's still considered a "new" member. I'm not sure how long that lasts for.

20 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Yeah, it seems like he cannot post because he is moderated because he has never posted, so I'm not sure how new users escape that cycle.

Anyway, if anyone was serious about the OggDude request and would like to follow-up with him, that will have to be done via the SWRPG Discord until such a time where that is sorted.

When I first got on, I posted and then there was a waiting period of ~20 hours, if I remember correctly, before the post went up. Same for someone else who was new.

I don't know if this situation is different though.

I know on the FaQ it says that you aren't adding a spot for custom skills, but since you're updating anyway and have added Lightsaber and Knowledge (Warfare) to other systems, would you be willing to add a slot for custom skills? It would be useful for optional skills like Cybernetics and Beast Handling (that are technically RAW, just an optional rule) aside from just having a spot for custom skills, which the RAW character sheet does have.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, DaverWattra said:

This is a popular request and something that I'm tracking!

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I know on the FaQ it says that you aren't adding a spot for custom skills, but since you're updating anyway and have added Lightsaber and Knowledge (Warfare) to other systems, would you be willing to add a slot for custom skills? It would be useful for optional skills like Cybernetics and Beast Handling (that are technically RAW, just an optional rule) aside from just having a spot for custom skills, which the RAW character sheet does have.

I think this can be revisited. Look for an update to the FAQ coming soon. 🙂

Welcome to the forums Duffn. 😃

On 1/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, kaosoe said:

On 1/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, Ahrimon said:

You can export characters as xml. That should hopefully make it easy to import. I haven't touched xml in years, but I remember it being pretty structured.

XML is fine. Would anybody with a pretty fleshed out character be willing to send me their export for to use for experimentation?

9 hours ago, duffn said:

XML is fine. Would anybody with a pretty fleshed out character be willing to send me their export for to use for experimentation?

The only version I have is a PDF . I can't use Oggdude's generator myself because I use a Mac.

10 hours ago, duffn said:

I can.

28 minutes ago, Ahrimon said:

I can.

Excellent, thanks! I'll PM you.

Hey, I had an idea. Could you add Group Sheets for the different systems? It would mean creating a whole new template, but it would be a very useful tool for GMs, especially if there was an option to link the players' character sheets, and maybe a couple vehicles for ease of access (possibly with a way to show the characters and vehicles' thumbnails?).

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Hey, I had an idea. Could you add Group Sheets for the different systems? It would mean creating a whole new template, but it would be a very useful tool for GMs, especially if there was an option to link the players' character sheets, and maybe a couple vehicles for ease of access (possibly with a way to show the characters and vehicles' thumbnails?).

Yes!

If I'm reading you right, this will be a key feature of "starring/lists/favorites" or whatever it will be called and I've been toying with a few things in the last week. It's being tracked here: https://github.com/swsheets/swsheets/issues/32.

You add characters and vehicles to a list, say your "Under a Black Sun" adventure, then you have an easily accessible list of all the characters, NPCs, vehicles that you have in that campaign/adventure. Also you'd have a summary page that shows the most important information so you can identify at a glance what is everybody's current wounds, for example.

Is that along the lines of what you're thinking?

46 minutes ago, duffn said:

Yes!

If I'm reading you right, this will be a key feature of "starring/lists/favorites" or whatever it will be called and I've been toying with a few things in the last week. It's being tracked here: https://github.com/swsheets/swsheets/issues/32.

You add characters and vehicles to a list, say your "Under a Black Sun" adventure, then you have an easily accessible list of all the characters, NPCs, vehicles that you have in that campaign/adventure. Also you'd have a summary page that shows the most important information so you can identify at a glance what is everybody's current wounds, for example.

Is that along the lines of what you're thinking?

Sort of, I was thinking more along the lines of the RAW group sheets, where its got a list of Obligations, resources, etc.

I do like that feature, though, and it would fill the purpose somewhat.

To clarify, I'm not talking about just the RAW group sheet, I was also thinking about adding some of the features you mentioned such as WT/ST tracker. Basically an enhanced Group Sheet.

Thanks for the alternating colors on the Talents! That wasn't even something I'd considered, but it fits with the overall scheme and is a nice quality of life update.

7 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Thanks for the alternating colors on the Talents! That wasn't even something I'd considered, but it fits with the overall scheme and is a nice quality of life update.

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad it's helpful.

There wasn't anything major in yesterday's release, but there were a number of small tweaks like this.