Admiral Sloane’s TIE Menagerie

By Ronu, in X-Wing Battle Reports

So Today starts a long experiment for me and Admiral Sloane. This will be a running tally of list and results as I play through my local league. I have been thinking and putting together so many list and variations that I really want to log them and try it out.

First list pretty basic:

Lambda -class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 60
Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
•Admiral Sloane (9)
Shield Upgrade (4)
ST-321 (4)

TIE/ln Fighter - Academy Pilot - 23
Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

So first match of this new league season was against a brand new player. Like only played maybe a dozen games between 1.0 and 2.0 combined new. What a list for this person to have to run into for their first really competitive game of X-Wing. He brought Dutch, Gavin, and Kyle Katarn. Won’t get into a lot of details on this battle, a new player made new player mistakes and the swarm lost only one ship while swallowing his list. Interesting to test the stress reroll mechanisms and about it honestly.

So picked up another game against another list that was used in league today. This was a Gavin Darklighter with R4 and Crackshot. 2x Grey Squadron Pilots with R4’s, dorsal turrets and VTG’s and a Gold Squadron loaded same as the grey’s. First 3 rounds was spent working up the side of the map we ended up taking and finally turning around and into a combat area in the middle of the Asteroids and debris fields. Did a really good job with keeping Sloan’s outside of 3 of my opponent but able to keep the swarm in her bubble. First round of shooting my opponent did 2 damage to 1 TIE with 6 attacks between primary and gunners. Stripped the shields off of one Grey y-wing and brought it to half from range 2-3 with my 5 shots at it. Sadly his defense die was just working for him keeping that Y wing around longer than it should have honestly.

Next Round the Swarm dove in hard got blocks and jammed up the middle crating a mess where almost his entire fleet failed to move and was left modless. Again lost of shots from unmodded guns by the rebels resulted in 1 blinded pilot that also took a second damage and nothing more. The damaged Y wing was finished off and heavy damage to the gold Y-Wing. (Shields and 3 Hull) and 2 shields off Gavin. With no ships gone and okay trading shots I stayed in the furball rather than try to unwind out of it mostly. One ship did K turn into position behind Gavin and the Ywing. Lost 3 ties when My opponent realized how bonkers Sloane is in that situation. The Gold Squadron went down in flames. Gavin was taken to 2 Hull and the other remaining grey Squadron was slapped for 5 damage total. My opponent conceded about the same point we would have gone to time anyways. Noted Gavin was likely going nowhere with all his stress. And the Y wing would likely not hold up against 3 TIEs and an undamaged Sloane Shuttle.

Overall consistent and solid outing. Sloane 2 Rebels 0. Thoughts here. The swarm at 6 is like a typical swarm maybe better with a long range Howlrunner in Sloane. Opponents weren’t so willing to try to use linked actions and giving free rerolls away. ST-321 was basically a non factor given Sloane’s Shuttle could also use her rerolls. So likely swap that out for something else. Now curious what some other ships that have some punch to hem can do thoug they may have smaller numbers overall to really Jam things up with.

Edited by Ronu

Subscribed. Interested to see what this evolves into. I've been enjoying Sloane a lot!

This week in the Menagerie, Admiral Sloane takes on a contingent of Republic Fighters.

Sloane changed it up and brought herself an Ace wing of Planetary Sentinels.

Lambda -class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 56
•Admiral Sloane (9)
Shield Upgrade (4)

TIE/sk Striker - Planetary Sentinel - 34
Planetary Sentinel - (34)

TIE/sk Striker - •“Duchess” - 42
•“Duchess” - Urbane Ace (42)

Total: 200/200

The republic sent Sinker, with a pair of Gold Squadron V-19’s and a pair of Naboo Handmaidens to act as Sinkers decoys. Sinker as had C-3P0 riding shotgun.

So the republic formed up in a tight formation in the SW corner of the map. Sloane and her TIE’s setup in the NE corner of the map, wanting to draw the republic through the clouds/Debris. The first two rounds were fairly uneventful. The republic 2 banked towards the center the 3 straits towards the center of the map. The strikers took a S turn and the strait up and turned in giving a bit of room to draw in the incoming force.

Round 3 is where it got interesting. The hand maidens came hard and then boosted trying to get flanking positions. One striker moved to keep from blocking off the others but ended up just on the leading edge of a debris cloud and took a crit for his troubles (Fuel Leak). Another not wanting to bump decided rather then the ailerons right and then his straight just went Straight. Taking him past the flanking hand maiden and into an opportune position surprisingly. One gold squad two banked in but stopped just short of the Striker that had been on the debris. The other did an aggressive 3 bank (Red) and bumped one of the other strikers. Sinker got gutsy not wanting to end up on the debris does a 4 strait (red) and the Striker that early changed his move now was in position to trap Sinker on the debris for a double stress and as an added bonus no shots on anyone. Dutchess swung up and the went after the stressed V-19 upon firing. 2 hits 1 crit, and his own fuel leak lots of fire from the republic saw Dutchess get hit and take a weapons failure, and the other damaged Striker take another damage. The strikers got the earlier damaged v-19 and put 3 into the other.

The next round saw Sinker try to avoid an obvious kill box by 2 hard turning and holding his stress. The hand maidens further came about on the flanks one endup blocking Sloane’s Shuttle. The strikers worked to get into position taking down the other V-19 in exchange for the heavily damaged Striker. Leaving the board looking as such.

72881799_10157531716694536_7324788860418

Next round saw Hand maiden 1 try to stay in the fight and Talon roll to the right. However this also blocked Sinker who was wanting to get away. The other hand maiden banked 2 right to clear stress and boost around trying to get back into position. The Strikers worked around pounding into Sinker. Duchess broke off to get a better angle on the next turn. By the end of the round sinker was on his last Hull with a Striker in persuit and Duchess ready to turn back in.

Sloane ordered her ship to two bank onto the debris cloud but past the hand maiden trying to clog things up and prevent Duchess from having a route to close on Sinker. Sinker not wanting to be predictable again held stress to 2 turn to the left away from the perusing Striker that took a higher position on the upper right. Dutchess was able to Alieron left and 2 Turn left end in up with an easy broadside Shot on Sinker. Electing to focus rather than deal with her weapons failure. Sinker Exploded, and Handmaiden 1 took 3 damage.

72170749_10157531716809536_3064664817320

The final round ended here. Handmaiden 1 blasted by 8 (Far left). My opponent going his Handmaiden against this group was doomed and simple conceded from here.

Thoughts : Strikers do what they do and create opportunities that they don’t always deserve. The extra Hull even with just two dice seemed plenty in this matchup. The Shuttle also is a cagey play here as it’s larger base keeps up well with the strikers as needed. The idea of dropping Dutchess down for Cienna Ree is also appealing here using the Shuttle to coordinate after the fact to turn in a dime or even shut off the Ailerons when using them might be disadvantageous.

So Admiral Sloane brought a new kind of terror to the Galaxy today. After her Shuttle took a physical nose dive and broke we traded the large base for a smaller medium base in the form of a TIE Reaper. She also sent Duchess away and brought on a second Reaper and some ISB slicers. Being familiar with my opponent for league this week I decided to prepare for what I would likely face. Defenders and a Palp Shuttle. So our list now looks like so:

TIE Reaper - Scarif Base Pilot - 44
Scarif Base Pilot - (41)
ISB Slicer (3)

TIE Reaper - Scarif Base Pilot - 54
Scarif Base Pilot - (41)
•Admiral Sloane (9)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 200/200

However the expected matchup would wait as a challenge from a newer Resistance player was made. He brought Ello Atsy: Daredevil, Autoblasters, S-Foils. Kare Kune: Heroic, S-foils, Auto Blasters, Pattern Analyzer. Greer: Heroic, Daredevil. Zari: Heroic Daredevil. Admittedly Sloane might have been Salivating seeing Daredevil on 3 ships, plus the RZ-2’s natural willingness to stress for actions.

So set my forces to middle right on the map to be flexible once the higher Initiative squadron was set. Zari and Kare set up about 3 base lengths from the opposite right corner, Ello and Greer about the same from the left side. Kare and Zari being closer was my initial target. Small s moves towards that direction to setup my initial engagement. Sloane does a 1 bank then a 3 straight ending up R1 of Zari and Jams. The strikers work into position and the other Raider came up just out of R1 of Zari and so just focused. Zari swung past Sloane and then used her Daredevil but ended up too far forward for a shot on her. Kare came up R1 of Sloane and a Striker wingmate, S-foils closed. The Others banked but we’re too far out of the fight. Kare elected the R1 Autoblasters Shot against the Striker rather than shoot at Sloane......ok. Kare gets 1 crit through. Othing more. She takes 5 damage from Sloane and the Striker’s retaliation shot.

The second Raider and Sloan 1 bank and sloop around. The strikers swing around looking for the opposing ships to zoom in or turn to get away. Kare obliges and swings with a Talon Roll and parks R1 of the Striker she had shot at with no return shot possible. Greer turns to go after the non Sloane Raider which blocks Ello. Zari ends up in a odd spot without a shot still jammed. Kare burns down, 2 shields on the non-Sloane Raider. Ello takes 4 Damage, Greer 2 shields.

The fight lasted about 4 more rounds Ello would get taken out the next round, Greer ran a bit but eventually caught and taken apart staying stressed. Zari would end up popping never getting stress cleared while trying to chase Sloane who disengaged allowing her wings to turn back in.

Then our Main Event! So remember what I said he would Bring? Yeah sneaky changed it up well kinda. Patrol leader Decimator, w/ Vader and Dauntless Title. Onyx Squadron Pilot TIE Fighter. Rexler Brath: FCS Juke. Making things better or worse depending on your perspective he brought 3 Debris Fields.

I setup near the left side of the obstacles but inside the lines of them however to draw those ships into that field where my maneuvering should have an advantage.

First couple of rounds were posturing. However the second round I stayed slow waiting to get Rexler to turn in and come to the obstacles. Rexler did and was a bit too far out with only a R3 shot on a Striker and was easily evaded. The TIE Fighter get in too deep and was blasted by 2 ships. Then the real engagement happened and I couldn’t have botched this any worse. Both Reapers were on either side of a debris cloud only one striker had mods, one was way out of position, the 3rd striker was just blocked.Rexler jammed in hard R1 focus Evade of my beached whales. The Decimator turned in ready to shoot. Rexler shoots: 2 blanks 1 hit 1 focus. Staring at 4 shots 3 R1 he saved his tokens for defense. 1 shield off the ISB Raider. The Decimator got nothing on it’s shot. 3 shots into Rexler 4 shields stripped.

Than that botched engagement became a coffin for Rexler and the Decimator. Sloane stressed only does a 1 bank in and parks right behind Rexler, Jammed. The ISB Raider same move, fits and again Jams Rexler. The strikers work around as the can with their crap positions from the previous round. Rexler 4K’s in the obstacle course and lands on the corner of the right corner debris cloud nearest to me, Stressed and still R2 of the ISB Slicers. Rexler gets 2 damage on a Striker Vader does another 2 more damage into Rexler and shields into the Decimator.

Rexler clears stress the next turn as the Raiders and Strikers zoom past the other way save 1 who was able to get back into the fight catching Rexler again. Rexler pops taking 2 hits and a direct hit. The Decimator managed to get more damage into a striker. The was in scramble mode with 2 strikers and two raiders trying to close in. The Decimator got another Striker, and eventually the ISB Raider. However the striker and Sloan’s Raider were still good going to time for the match. Sloan’s winning 157-129 another round likely sees the Decimator at 10 Damage explode from fire from the 2 remaining ships.

So a Third game happened Sunday but was too tired at the time of posting to go over it.

so one of our vets brought me: Triple Silencers: Kylo: Hate, Pattern Analyzer. Recoil: Predator, PA. And a naked SJE.
He brought Debris clouds and kept initiative as only his SJE was tied with my list.

So setup a bit center left. Opposite his SJE through the Debris Field. He setup Kylo and Recoil further right to swing in on a flank. Used Ailerons to bank left the swing straight up to widen the gap Kylo and Recoil would need to get to my flank.

Initial engagement saw the SJE vs 2 raiders and Two of my strikers. Recoil came up short and blocked Kylo. The SJE whiffed on shots at The ISB Reaper. But took 5 total including a Stunned Pilot crit.

Then my opponent made a gargantuan mistake IMO. He 4 K’s with the SJE. My Sloane reaper disengaged to swing around and coordinate the ISB an evade. The ISB Jammed the SJE while stressed expecting it to survive because other targets would need to be dealt with first. Kylo and Recoil turn Right (Away from the fight) their backs to the Strikers who would be able to come around the next turn and taking no shots. The SJE did 2 to the ISB raider, who was easily taken down in return.

Next round Recoil 4K’s and Focused with his PA, as my ISB raider and two strikers swung up to chase, Sloane and the other striker continued board left to take an escape route away. Kylo attempts to Talon Roll and is blocked by the 4K of Recoil. Recoil does no damage and saved his token for defense. Kylo too 4 damage from 2 Strikers. Recoil ended up taking 2 from the Raider.

Kylo tried to run but the two Strikers were able to pursue. The Raiders worked around and caught Recoil along with the 3rd Striker. The ISB raider took heavy damage from recoil brining it to 1 hull. Kylo still no shots took 1 more bringing him down to two hull.

Recoil would kill the ISB raider but the two stress caused him to end up way out of the fight and position. Sloane and the strikers focused on Kylo trapping him in a corner and finishing him off though it did take a couple of turns. With only 1 hull left on Recoil against the untouched Strikers and Shieldless Sloane conceded.

so currently Sloane is 6-0 in October.

Thoughts: Those Reapers do work. The Jam action especially at I1 is not as difficult to pull off as I might have thought, though knowing how to get the Ailerons and movement right to get there can be tricky.

Sloane really seems to like 5+ ships in her squad not sure I want to go less than that for any reason. I kinda want to try Interceptors maybe teamed with the strikers for a bit of a slower knife fighter paired with the blitz of the Strikers.

Biggest thing I notice is how much Sloane who should be dictating both fire and Choice of maneuvers and actions has been largely ignored. She has huge control and punishes an opponent for ignorance or ignoring her. Smart flying keeps her relevant while also forcing opponents to either take a target they don’t want or end up in bad spots for trying to force an issue.

You may have helped FFG with a sale here. I never imagined I needed a 2nd Reaper, but now it seems like a wise and prudent choice!

Well this weeks use of the Menagerie might be an exercise in theory craft and not much more. So our League leader threw everyone a curveball this week. 2v2 match ups. Sloane called up some Guns for this as it was going to be a fight.

TIE Reaper - Scarif Base Pilot - 50
Scarif Base Pilot - (41)
•Admiral Sloane (9)

Alpha -class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 40
Nu Squadron Pilot - (32)
Passive Sensors (3)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Autoblasters (2)

Alpha -class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 40
Nu Squadron Pilot - (32)
Passive Sensors (3)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Autoblasters (2)

Total: 198/200

My Partner brought Guri: Advanced Sensors, Autothrusters, and Crackshot with 3x Cartel Marauders.

Our Opponents brought Rebel Heavy's. One list was Ten Numb w/Marksmanship. Braylen Stram, Marksmanship Cassian Andor Crackshot, and Benthic. The other half of that team was 4 Rebel Grey Squadron Pilots: Seismic Charges, VTG, Ion Turret Cannons, and R2 Astro's.

So here is the Setup board.

72782899_10157573518914536_3129616680024

So our plan and outlook was those Rebels probably want to joust and the K-Fighters and Guri can rush in from the side and Flank and possibly pull away those Y's. Plan A Failed Miserably. Every Single Rebel Ship banked to the right (as Above) and came hard at the Reaper/Strikers and ACSW. This caused a huge Monkey Wrench as the Y Wings bombed the Debris and Asteroids behind slowing down the Approach of Guri and the K-Fighters. Eventually the Scrum came to this:

74450519_10157573518999536_8783519419549

They were implementing their Plan A. Now you cannot see Ten Numb in this photo but he is just outside of the far left Striker. Ever Single Rebel Ship is going to shoot at the Reaper. 10 Total Shots in all. 9 ships fire at Sloane and she tanks them all only taking 7 damage. Y-Wing labeled 2 is the last to fire as they have the initiative. He rolls hit Focus and spends his token on his primary weapon Shot at R3. Then their Plan A Failed.......Sloane Rolls Natties (yes that Reaper tanked the entire 400 points and lived)..... The Whole game changed because of that. The two strikers take out Braylen (behind the U Wings) and the Y-wings start to take a pounding of their own. So that Failed Plan we had initially... um... Might still work!

Rebels do get Sloane the next turn but all kinds of bad positions for the Rebels who committed so hard just to get Sloane off the board.

74895970_10157573519074536_3233669744603

They do Manage to take out the Central Striker. However the K-fighters are now fully able to engage as well as Guri and the Pain is going to come quickly as the Calvary arrives even if it's a bit too late to Save Sloane.

73357287_10157573518974536_7379965540766

The K-fighters block and blast Benthic then Block and Blast Cassian who is finished off by the #14 ACSW who SLAMmed around getting a R1 Autoblaster shot right into the side, though it didn't matter as no crits were rolled, but Cassian still at 3 strait up damage.

After Cassian and Benthic and 2 of the Y-wings went down it left the board as such.

74354460_10157573518959536_6526911780818

Takeaways: Apparently my Admiral Sloane needs to be given Force Tokens along with her Ability because she refused to submit. The Passive sensors really were a non factor as the Matchup didn't show there was any need for them. I could also drop the ADV-Slam if I wanted and include 4 in place of the strikers. They are certainly capable of keeping up with the TIE Reaper. Even though I never got off the AB ability it was both a deterrent and concern for opponents such that they were at least mindful of positioning as to no get lambasted. There is certainly potential in the list as it carried the battle against 400 points for the Majority of the Game and was still kicking. and the hull and shields of the Star-wings made them uber tanky. Perhaps the Star Wings with basic TIE l/n's? Again really tough to gain too much information given it wasn't a usual format.

Edited by Ronu
Plans failed....Badly

So this weekend I tried again with 2 Reapers 2 Strikers and swapped one out for Star Wing with an Autoblaster.

Not going into detail on this battle as it was a complete CF. Not sure I could have flown much worse without just flying with my dials face up and letting my opponent pick my moves. It was lambs to a slaughter, conceded after about round 4 it was that bad. Add to that my opponent might have had one of his best outings in a while and yup easy loss.

So didn’t take much from that match. The Star Wing alone as a compliment yo the list wasn’t really a solid option. The higher Initiative coupled with lack of being able to turn around easily just didn’t seem to mesh with the list. This could also be in part to my poor flying so not dismissing this as an option just yet.

so played a second match. Went back to the 3 Strikers and Two Reapers.... should have stayed home and painted my ships instead. Again just bad bad bad flying. opponent was good with his flying and choices and chewed me up and spat me out. Again conceded early seeing where things were going quite decisively.

So positives from yesterday? Not many, save this. Those Reapers and indeed Sloane in any form wants to be aggressive and in your face as soon as possible. I was trying to be cagey and slick with my flying and just failed. The Reapers were often out of position, the Strikers in poor spots or too far to get help from others. They don’t need a formation but they do want/need a way to leverage the advantages they can get.

Edited by Ronu
On 11/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, Ronu said:

They don’t need a formation but they do want/need a way to leverage the advantages they can get.

Edited November 4 by Ronu

Ronu, I think a big factor for the Strikers is having information and maximizing that 3-die gun. Sorta like alpha strike tie fighters.

I'd experiment with Blacks at a higher initiative and Crack Shot (marksmanship if Crack goes up).

But otherwise, having at least one or two basic Academy LNs would probably serve Sloane well in most games.

30 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Ronu, I think a big factor for the Strikers is having information and maximizing that 3-die gun. Sorta like alpha strike tie fighters.

I'd experiment with Blacks at a higher initiative and Crack Shot (marksmanship if Crack goes up).

But otherwise, having at least one or two basic Academy LNs would probably serve Sloane well in most games.

I have that list ready will be a few weeks before it gets used still. The issue is cost with Academy’s not quite leveling off with other filler ships. So 2 Acadamy’s is worth 1 Striker or Interceptor and then you have 5 points in limbo.

3 hours ago, Ronu said:

then you have 5 points in limbo.

What about Decimator+Sloane+DTs?

_____

RuthlessSloane

(74) Captain Oicunn [VT-49 Decimator]
(9) Admiral Sloane
(6) Death Troopers
(3) Intimidation

(26) Black Squadron Ace [TIE/ln Fighter]
(1) Ruthless

(1) Ruthless

(1) Ruthless

(1) Ruthless

Total points: 200

_____

-They are all I3s

-Death Troopers synergize crazy

-Ruthless overkill trick is one Empires secret weapons...

Yesterday was our annual Diabetes fund raising event. Sloane was in attendance. Went with the two Reapers and 3 Strikers as previously noted. Mainly due to having the most flight time. The event was 4 straight rounds. Sadly due to work constraints I ended up having to bail after round 3. Only on of my opponents (Game 2) was someone I played before. So nice using the list against someone new.

First round was against a very unique F/O list. Avenger, 2X Zeta Squadron Survivors, 3x Episilon Cadets. So having learned from the previous week about needing to be aggressive I was. First engagement wasn’t actually bad. 2 Damage on a striker for a full Cadet. Then it went south. The ISB Reaper ended up in an odd spot and not fully planning ahead I adjusted not realizing how little room I had. Two rounds later and off the map he went. Two of the strikers went down to focused fire over 3 rounds. I had one Zeta Shield less and another down to 1 hull by time. I managed to get the 3 Cadets. His green dice were ridiculously consistent with multiple evades. Lost 134-86 curious what could have been if that ISB Reaper doesn’t go down.

Round Two was an ugly matchup in terms of not dying too fast before leveraging Sloane. It was a Fenn/Boba list.

initial movements I came out with a decent net . Caught Fett but dice variance didn’t help me much. Got a bit cute (still need to learn not to do this) got a striker way wide of Sloane and Fenn 1 shots him no extra stress to help me out.

Fett drops a proximity mine which even with my Ailerons I avoided. Pushed a position to force Fenn into a tight spot where I could get extra time on him if he took down another striker due to the stress. Traded a striker for a hit and Fuel Leak on Fenn. All the while Boba Fett turned away from my squad using his rear arc using slave 1 to turn away from a block.

Sloane turns to pressure Fett who is boxing himself into a corner. The striker and other Reaper follow suit. Again rather than bump Fett turned towards board Edge using Slave 1. Hoping a Prox mine finished off the ISB Raider. It doesn’t. The chase puts Fett in a bad spot and his 1 hard to stay in fails. Big momentum swing on the day and finally some luck on my side. About 3 rounds to work around catch Fenn Rau and take him down. Won 200-124

my final match was against a republic Aces list. Obi-Wan, Plo, and Ric. Admittedly a bit worried with passive mods taking the sting out of the stress. Still I opened up those TIE’s and got in hard and fast.

Sloane got to the aces first and got a bump on Plo. Obi was next to her as was Ric. Who then boosted past her? The duo of Ric and Obi instead of working on Sloane R1 take on a Striker that was R1 if Ric. Plo attempts to assist as well but gets nothing. Obi gets the kill shot and stresses from Sloane. Next round Another striker gets popped by Plo this time but Nearly died himself taking 4 on his 7b as the strikers and Reapers either sloop or K-Turn the ISB Reaper just easing up from the rear to create a box. The two Reapers trade positions and the ISB Reaper gets a block on Plo effectively ending his day. A shot on Obi-Wan results in two shields and a direct hit.

The Reaper banks 1 being stressed the previous round. And Obi not expecting him to stop that short 1 turn bumps and takes a shot from a striker and pops. Ric got Wide if the Reaper and Ran. About 5 turns passed trying to get position on Ric finally a Reaper got a Jam on him and softened him up to be blasted at time. W-200 -72

Very solid overall . the threat of jam actions was interesting to see reactions too. most people were worried there so it seemed. I also think the speed to engage is a bit of a shock to some certainly was with my 3rd match.

This week was interesting. A player getting back into X-wing. I brought something a bit different.

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

TIE/D Defender - Delta Squadron Pilot - 69
Delta Squadron Pilot - (69)

Lambda -class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 56
•Admiral Sloane (9)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 194/200

My opponent brought, Blackout, Quickdraw and Backdraft. My opponent quickly tries to take advantage of Backdraft and 3 sloops and then barrel rolls into R1 of the Defender but also one of the TIEs. Blackout screens up behind a debris cloud and takes out a TIE in one R3 shot. Backdraft fires but is evaded by the Defender. The TIEs and Sloane’s Shuttle pound into Backdraft and make him into space dust.

I tried to be slick by banking with Sloane and was going to coordinate a Boost to the Defender before doing a 4K. Didn’t work and the Defender was on the debris instead and a really in a a bad shooting spot in fact he had no shot as Blackout was behind him and Quickdraw didn’t get up to him. The Defender took shields from two Quickdraw shots and one the TIEs took damage. Traded the Defender for Quickdraw and a turn later Lost a second Tie to Blackout.

Then the positioning race was on. Blackout with so much stress as trying to shake it and had hot green dice avoiding any damage for about 3 turns without a shot back. Blackout gets turned around and goes after the Shuttle as the TIE tried to swing around. Then the Shuttle does a hard stop as Backdraft zooms by and the TIE races into position, and finally gets the shields off Blackout.

Sloane then goes slow and coordinates the TIE who is behind debris to barrel roll and then zooms near to where Blackout should be. Blackout goes defensive taking only a shot from Sloane but takes a Fuel Leak. Blackout would go down a turn later missing a 4K in favor of a Talon roll. With no shot the Shuttle gets Blackout with a Crit setting off the Fuel Leak.

Thoughts : The Defender is interesting in this list at only 194 I could do some things with the Defender or the Shuttle in terms of other upgrades. The sheer volume of even basic TiEs along with Sloane allows for mistakes with some forgiveness. Dropping The Defender opens up 75 points. So lots and lost of options.

Grand write up!

did you so far tried Sloane with an Interceptor swarm?

On 1/3/2020 at 6:36 AM, Tellonius said:

Grand write up!

did you so far tried Sloane with an Interceptor swarm?

To date I haven’t brought squints up. With the points adjustments and availability to get a 4th dial I may review that option.

1 hour ago, Ronu said:

To date I haven’t brought squints up. With the points adjustments and availability to get a 4th dial I may review that option.

It's beautiful:

Scarif Base Pilot (39)
Admiral Sloane (9)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z186X14WWY181X127WWY181X127WWY181X127WWY181X127WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

And they get to play around with I3 generics like a cat with a toy mouse. Just make sure to keep them within R3 of Sloane.

10 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

It's beautiful:

Scarif Base Pilot (39)
Admiral Sloane (9)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)
Predator (2)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z186X14WWY181X127WWY181X127WWY181X127WWY181X127WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

And they get to play around with I3 generics like a cat with a toy mouse. Just make sure to keep them within R3 of Sloane.

Interesting using the Reaper with the Squints. I would personally use OGP. The Squints can more easily stay with, in front, or out of the way of the Shuttle compared to the Reaper. I want to do a Sloane with Ree Shuttle and I1 Squints to see how bonkers that can get with options galore.

We've been doing some testing here too, and I've been a huge fan of the Decimator with Sloane. I'm currently trying to work in death troopers with it. But between a friend and I, we are 6-1 (only lost to that 5x Resistance Awing list) with the base deci, sloane, and 4 squints.

Edited by Jyico

This is what I’ve been doing. Good success so far AND looks LOVELY on the table! 😜

Outer Rim Patrol

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(9) Admiral Sloane
(1) Ruthless
(4) Dauntless

(22) Academy Pilot [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 200

Pointsy, pointsy update!

Now this is possible:

Sloane's Barons (200 points)

Colonel Jendon (49) Passive Sensors (2) Admiral Sloane (9) Shield Upgrade (4) Ship total: 64 Half Points: 32 Threshold: 6

Baron of the Empire (28) Concussion Missiles (6) Ship total: 34 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Baron of the Empire (28) Concussion Missiles (6) Ship total: 34 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

may I say: "IRKS!"