Expansions, yes or no?

By DXCrazytrain, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

Can I buy the box and be done or will there be expansions?

At this point, nobody knows.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there will be at least one expansion as that is the way FFG does things. But it may all depend on initial sales figures.

I think this game is begging for expansions. New upgrades, new jobs, new characters, ships and even new planets. Otherwise this game looks like it can get repetitive very quick once you get a couple dozen or so games in.

There are almost 40 outer rim planets and most of those in game are actually mid rim planets so it seems to point to there being lots of room to add.

It's first expansions will more then likely just be card packs to add to the game but future expansions can easily make this much bigger than what it will be on release.

You can absolutely buy the box and be done. If they do decide to implement expansions there is nothing that says you have to get them.

PS if you are asking because you know where you can buy it right now, please let me know! ;)

The game was definitely built with the possibility for expansions. The fact that the database card numbering has a ton of gaps in it as well as the game board's physical design lead me to believe the thought of expansions were at least discussed during its development

Additional planets would be awesome, but how would they handle all the current jobs/cargo/bounty deliveries that require you to go to specific planets? Would the new planets just be added to the existing without any being removed, you think?

I can definitely see them adding tons of cards to every deck, including each data deck number, to give each market / planet / contact more variety.

Couldnt help but notice that the difficulty of the contacts had pips 1,2,3 with absolutely room for 4, red color.

Expansions for sure are coming.

Defiantly room for expansions. Databank deck has obvious gaps. Not too hard either to add more planets, contacts, and market items with a small expansion box. Right now it seems very "Light" for a typical game

Expansions are great! I love when you can breath new life into a game and make it feel new again.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the Mandalorian gave us some great content for possible expansions.

You could even do story-based decks. Want to do a "Against the Hutt Cartel" story? Put these cards into your databank deck and use these planets.

Yes... offcourse there will be expansions. :-) And I like.

Personally I also hope for an expansion which will include miniatures.

I will not be satisfied until Dash Rendar and the Outrider are playable.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, thestag said:

At this point, nobody knows.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there will be at least one expansion as that is the way FFG does things. But it may all depend on initial sales figures.

Sadly, that isn’t how ffg does things with their high-quality boardgames. But, there is the Star Wars factor....

On 4/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, Jasonharken said:

Additional planets would be awesome, but how would they handle all the current jobs/cargo/bounty deliveries that require you to go to specific planets? Would the new planets just be added to the existing without any being removed, you think?

I can definitely see them adding tons of cards to every deck, including each data deck number, to give each market / planet / contact more variety.

That is an interesting question. A few likely solutions would include:

1 - reprints of those cards to include additional planets

2 - a "sector" system, where certain packs are played in tandem with each other

3 - they do nothing

I'm sure there will be at least one and probably more expansions.

An easy expansion would include pilots and ships (though I don't think that would add that much to the game by itself).

It really needs more contacts, encounter cards, and market cards (especially gear and mods).

I do not feel the replayability is very high as is... unless you don't mind seeing the same thing over and over and over again.

For a sandbox game the one thing I would like more is a bigger sandbox.

I could see the board turning into a full circle but I can’t help but wonder if that would be too big. Or maybe close it up with a half circle that adds three more sectors (sets of 2 planets) Anoat, Bespin, Endor, Hoth and a giant asteroid field maybe? That and more cards (and Dash) would make me pretty happy.

The game has CLEARLY been designed with expansions in mind.

The deck of databank cards that is used to resolve your missions etc has multiple cards for certain numbers, yet there are massive chunks of missing numbers.

By that, I mean you have card number 1, 2, 3, 4 etc... There may be a couple of "missing" numbers, but when it gets to 52 it jumps to 90, so there is room for an additional 40 cards to be added, presumably with additional playable characters.

The main things the game will need first are just extra cards - mainly cargo and jobs. And a couple of duplicate databanks so that the existing contacts are a bit unpredictable.

Later they could also add in all-player quests (similar to the fallout BG). E.g. the empire needs some coaxium collecting from Kessel and taking to Naboo. Reward 2 fame and 1 Imp loyalty. Any player can do this (its a race) and whilst you are carrying this card other players can attack you and claim it if they win.

Or...just a simple open reward for the first player to destroy a ship from a named faction to gain a reward.

Extra characters and ships are also a distinct possibility. All that ahead of extra planets.

Edited by Gallanteer

So what are the thoughts on this today?

This game definitely begs for an expansion. We've played it twice and it's already too repetitive.

soooo, since FFG is supposed to be getting back to doing board games (they lost all of their miniature games titles) - is there any news that someone is working on expansions to this game?