Killer’s eye

By Feuerphoenix, in Rogue Trader

Hey guys,

i have a question concerning Killer's eye, a talent of Man hunter:

as it states the critical damage is inflicted “immediately". Does that working imply this damage can not be evaded by any means? Because finally this would make called shot a worthwhile choice in a fight.

what do you think?

Killer's Eye (Talent)

The Explorer can find the weaknesses of his prey with only a few moments of observation. When he makes a Called Shot attack and scores a number of Degrees of Success on the attack roll equal to or greater than the target’s Agility Bonus, he immediately inflicts a 1d5 critical damage result on the target in addition to any normal damage. Roll on the appropriate Critical Hit table for the damage type and location struck. Any modifiers to critical damage from Talents or other sources apply as normal. However, the Critical Damage inflicted from this ability does not stack with actual Critical Hits.

Dodge

Type: Reaction Subtype: Defence, Movement

Dodge is a Reaction that a character can perform when it is not his Turn. After a character is hit, but before Damage is rolled, the character can attempt to avoid the attack by making a Dodge Skill Test. A character must be aware of the attack in order to make the test. If the test succeeds, the character gets out of the way at the last moment and the attack is considered to have missed (and thus no Damage is rolled). If the Dodge Skill Test fails, the attack connects and deals Damage normally. Dodge can be used to avoid both melee and ranged attacks.

I would say no. Immediately does mean you can inflict a critical on a target which still has wounds left (remember this is rogue trader, not Only War/Black Crusade/Dark Heresy II, where you cannot normally inflict criticals without reducing a target to 0 wounds first), but it doesn't specify that it cannot be dodged. A successful dodge reaction means that the attack is counted as having missed, meaning you haven't "scored a number of Degrees of Success on the attack roll equal to or greater than the target’s Agility Bonus".

Hostile Acquisitions post-dates the Deathwatch Core Rulebook and the existence of the Killing Strike talent (which clearly specifies 'cannot be evaded') - if this was meant to do the same thing I would expect it to say so explicitly.