X-Wing™ Second Edition Organized Play Questions

By Lomiat, in X-Wing Organized Play

Hello!

The recent announcement of X-Wing Second Edition has generated a lot of excitement—and it’s likely generated a lot of questions as well.

This thread is a place for you to ask your questions about the second edition Organized Play program, but before you post, please read the thread rules:

• This thread exists to share your questions with FFG. We will not answer the questions through this thread.
  • This thread is not a place for community discussion of the questions. If you want to answer a fellow community member’s question, you must start a new thread.
  • Please familiarize yourself with the content of the announcement article , the faction articles, and the Organized Play article before you share your question. You will likely find that many of your questions have already been addressed.
  • If your question concerns the second edition products and design, please post that in the thread, Share Your Questions About X-Wing Second Edition Here .

We will review this forum to make certain we are addressing all the most pertinent questions to the best of our ability. These answers will not appear in this forum, but rather through the articles published in the months to come as we build toward the release of the new X-Wing Second Edition Core Set and Wave I.

Thank you.

So the main question I have is what will happen to the alt art cards. Are they completely worthlless now or will there be a way to use them in the new xwing ?

Will the new 2.0 ships have articulation? Like the B-Wing S-Foils and Fang Fighter rotating wings?

Will the app (or a list printed from the app) be legal for FFG-sanctioned events?

Watched the live stream, read the FAQ, still a little confused on the “center line” on the movement templates: will the new templates (and that line) be necessary for Second Edition, or will First Edition templates still work?

If I want to use my 3 B-wings or 3 A-wings, or 4 X-wings or 3 Y-wings will I have to buy a core set and two upgrade kits for $140?

Likewise if I want to use my TIE swarm or 3 TIE defenders, etc will I need to buy 2 upgrade packs for a low, low cost of $100 for zero new ships on top of the above $140?

And I have scum too, so at least another $50?

Nearly $300 for a lot of cardboard (and one X-wing and 2 TIEs that I don't need)?

You really think people will do that?

Will huge ships finally be legal obstacles in official organized play events? Or are we stuck stupidly flying into asteroid fields like some cocky space smuggler?

How will scoring be handled? Are we still going with half points on large ships? That would be off considering there are now medium ships.

13 hours ago, marcnelsonjr said:

Will the app (or a list printed from the app) be legal for FFG-sanctioned events?

This is the most important question for new edition. I hope they will make it legal...

Special events have been mentioned when the squadron builder app was discussed. What kinds of events are being planned? Will events include special thematic scenarios? Will there be mass-market thematic or competitive campaigns?

Will Latin america have organized game now?

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-02 at 23.18.14.jpeg

What about all the cards (demage deck, pilot cards etc.) I got at System Opens in april in germany? Did thy become in may already useless for the 2.0 Edition? This would be very disappointing.

Edited by cbmainz
addition

What about National Championship 2018; They begin in V1 ... in V2 after september or still in V1 until the end of the year !!!

Will the tournaments be limited by the waves? Or veteran players can play with any ship that is available in the kits?

Edited by DarkRay
14 hours ago, DarkRay said:

Will the tournaments be limited by the waves? Or veteran players can play with any ship that is available in the kits?

The kits contain cardboard for all ships listed in the announcement along with pegs and bases, but not models. I'm thinking yes, but you never know.

Is there any thought about releasing a few conversion kits for individual ships? There are a handful of ships that people fly more of than are covered by the conversion kits so it would be good to have individual kits for these - mostly early waves like X, Y, B, A, TIE fighters, interceptors (hopeful these will be good again), Defenders, and advanced.

Will there be any major changes in the tournament formats? Will 2.0 add objectives to the game or will it be the same 100v100 75-minute dogfights that is the current tournament scene?

Could you make an article explaining which countries you have the licence to sell star wars products and which not and thus able to provide tournament support. In addition let us know if you are planining/negotiating to get the licence for areas curently not supported?

The outer rims want to host tournaments and the only way to get some kits for them is through the smuggling routes!

Edited by tsondaboy

How does one go about holding the 2.0 Launch Party event. I just started running events at my LGS and would love to hold this.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:32 PM, Djbst75 said:

So the main question I have is what will happen to the alt art cards. Are they completely worthlless now or will there be a way to use them in the new xwing ?

I think it would be really cool if they had card sleeves with the new stats that have an overlay on it to cover up the old stats/info with the new stuff but leave a "window" for the art. But that's a big stretch I'm sure.

If this has been discussed already can someone point me to the right thread.

I just got my Scum conversion kit and it appears to be missing the dual turret cardboard piece described in the paperwork and it also appears FFG did not include any shield tokens in the kit even though they redesigned the token altogether.

Has anyone ran into this issue or other missing components?

1. How do we proceed with the kits? Do we plan events in order, event 1 being the quick build, 2 being the themed, and 3 being the Championship?
2. The Challenge Missions. Can all three be completed in 1 game, or can you only do one per game?
3. For the Challenge Missions, how do we "Verify their goals"

4. Quickbuild Party: do they just decide who they want to play, or is it a tournament structure of assignment?

5. When is the cutoff for each wave kit. Is the cutoff when the next wave releases? When is the cutoff date to complete the Wave Championship?

Our store is looking at playing an 8 threat-level quick-build tournament next month, 01/2/19. However we can not find rules regarding how to score players for each round. Is it by threat levels, if so do you count 1/2 levels for ships that 2-for-3? Is it 25 pts per threat level? Do you round up? A prompt response would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Gundark Squadron

Can a retail store hosting an official X-Wing OP event, choose to modify the number of rounds required? For example, if the store decides that they can manage to host 70 players for an Advanced Structure event but they decide to cap it at 5 Swiss rounds and a Top 8 cut (instead of the required 6) because they want to keep the event in the 12- to 13-hour range (and not go into two days)?

Also, does OP provide any suggestions for the number of Marshals/Judges based on the size of the event? I've never seen an actual OP kit contents above store championship so I'm not familiar with what's included in the bigger ones.

Thank you

@Slugrage For Regionals and above, I woudn't dare change the number of rounds without FFG's approval. You're effectively going to hamstring/neuter some players by not playing the correct number of rounds and cut.

Using Top Cut Calculator, with 6 Rounds and Top 8 cut:

(Based on 70 players, 6 rounds of Swiss, and a top 8 cut.)

6-0 — 1.09

5-1 — 6.56

4-2 — 16.41

0.34 players with a record of 4-2 will make top cut and 16.06 will miss. All better records should be safe.

Now for your suggested modification of 5 Rounds and Top 8 Cut:

(Based on 70 players, 5 rounds of Swiss, and a top 8 cut.)

5-0 — 2.19

4-1 — 10.94

5.81 players with a record of 4-1 will make top cut and 5.13 will miss. All better records should be safe.

You've effectively ruined the chances of half of the X-1 players to make the cut, and it'll be entirely based on their squad's ability to preserve MoV.

If the store is worried about the event taking too long, have them either start earlier, or make it a 2 day event.