Looking for a copy

By raphael76, in War of the Ring: Collector's Edition

I realize this might be futile, but mom always says it never hurts to ask. I'm trying to locate a copy of the game. If anyone knows where I might be able to purchase it, please let me know. Also, if there's anyone on the boards who is considering selling theirs (I know, not likely), please let me know. I've heard some folks mention they picked up 2 copies, so if any of those folks might be willing to throw (I can't say a bread crumb with something of this magnitude, more like an entire field of wheat) my way, I would greatly appreciate it. You can contact me either on this forum or at [email protected] .

Thanks in advance to any and all that reply.

I hate to say it, but you're definitely late to this party. I think your only bet at finding unclaimed copies at retail prices is at actual brick and mortar stores. All the regular online stores have it listed as out of stock. I've found three stores all within 30 minutes of where I live who are getting copies. Two of the stores said they had at least one copy coming in that wasn't yet spoken for. One store had two copies in and neither were spoken for.

I know that most of the people who bought multiple copies did so in the hopes that they would be able to make a profit, and with the prices I've seen, they are. The copies that show up on ebay are listing at $700-$800 and are usually gone within a day at the most.

I wish you luck on your quest. Now I must return to fawning over my own copy which only just arrived yesterday.

Thanks for the info Tsugo. I checked with my local game shop and he's going to see if he can get me one. I figured it would be a long shot, but it's always worth trying. If he happens to come back and say he is out of luck, would you mind providing me with the names of the stores you mentioned in your post? You can hit me with them at [email protected] .

Thanks

Well, I just learned that of the 3 FLGS in my area, one has sold out of the copies and I'm waiting to hear from the other. One of the stores that I thought would be carrying it decided that the profit margin was too small and decided not to stock it. Incidentally, where are you located in the event that the one of the stores has an available copy?

I'm located in Anderson, IN, which is just a few miles north of Indianapolis. Where are you located? Depending on where you are, I'd be willing to either drive or pay for shipping. Thanks so much for checking for me, I really appreciate it.

Well you definitely don't want to drive out here. I'm in California. There is a store that is supposed to be getting in two more copies and I know he ships. I'll post when I hear more.

I would be shocked if anyone that has a copy to sell would even part with them right now for retail price. They are going for a whole lot more on auction sites and don't stay up very long before someone snatches them up. :( Maybe in 6 months or so the price will go down or used sets will come up for sale but i am betting they won't.

Well, my plan is if worse comes to worst, I will see if I can pick it up at GenCon. But I'd love to get it sooner than that so I can get my new board game friends playing and up to speed on the rules and such. Still looking for it so any leads are appreciated.

One local store won't be getting their two copies until the second wave. I'd be surprised if you found any copies at Gencon. If there were any, they'd get scooped up as soon as the dealer's room opened.

I hate to say it, but if you really want it, you're going to be paying eBay prices. I've not seen it less at auction than $600.

Good luck.

It’s quite unclear to me… is the second wave also sold out?

Yes. All retail copies are sold out. I imagine the resellers will charge no less than $600. As soon as those early copies go, then the price is sure to hover around $700, maybe $800.

Bummer. Thank you.

Along those lines, has the second wave shipped yet? I've seen some folks selling the second wave stuff before they receive it, but wasn't sure if this was legit or a scam to get a down payment out of someone. anyone know when the second wave is supposed to ship?

I believe the second was is shipping in April. I would not bid on anything, let alone pay, until the seller has a copy in hand.

when i placed my order - the day wave 1 shipped.

Got it and I have your order setup in the system and will send you one as
soon as they come in. I've been hearing April, but don't have any concrete
date yet, and probably won't until a few days before they ship to us.
Hopefully it will be on time. Thanks for the order.

I wanted to see how the wave 1 version looked before i placed my order as preview pics of the minis didn't thrill me too much.

Now I'm glad I have it coming in April / May.

Good luck to those of you still looking for a copy.

The owner of the local FLGS told me that he got a confirmation email from FFG that he'll be getting his two copies in the second wave. I have no idea what price he is going to sell them for. I know he has an ebay store, so shipping isn't an issue, other than the probable $50 shipping charge.

Yeah, $50 seems to be the going rate. Just missed out on grabbing one at a shop in Indy. Had I been there an hour earlier, it would have been mine. Thanks for the continued updates.

What is his EBAY store?

I only just found out about the CE copies but would really love one.

Thanks.

Warriormonk said:

What is his EBAY store?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what his eBay store is, but I could send you his store information. I was just in there last night and he told me he's gotten at least 4 people interested. One person lives about an hour away, the others are all out of state. I have no idea what they are going to be sold for, but I'm sure they will be more than the MSRP.

Tsugo said:

Warriormonk said:

What is his EBAY store?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what his eBay store is, but I could send you his store information. I was just in there last night and he told me he's gotten at least 4 people interested. One person lives about an hour away, the others are all out of state. I have no idea what they are going to be sold for, but I'm sure they will be more than the MSRP.

Yes, please send me his store information.

Thank you.

Warriormonk said:

Thank you.

Hmmm. I don't see any way to send private messages here. Do you have a BBG account? I can send you the store's info there. Tsugo is my user name at BBG as well.

Tsugo said:

Warriormonk said:

Thank you.

Hmmm. I don't see any way to send private messages here. Do you have a BBG account? I can send you the store's info there. Tsugo is my user name at BBG as well.

Just sent you a message on BGG.

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .

Wow, you guys are right, the price for this on ebay and such sites is outrageous!

Hello,

I've got a copy I'd consider trading, possibly selling. Primarily looking to trade it though, for a collection of D&D minis, or even more remotely, for a collection of Hexon II tiles.

Try me at [email protected], if you want to know more.

Cheers!

Rob