Portland Gamers say hello

By player666521, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

A friendly hello to you all, from Portland. Well, Hillsboro really, but no one really knows the place.

A post here to share our Facebook page with plenty of pictures with comments from our Descent campaign. I'll try to take some pictures each week when I'm not busy dropping blocks of stone on the wizard or trying to find where I can spawn my ferrox. I'll probably include our Battlestations game and others as they come up.

www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357

Thanks for reading,

Tom / Doc4

Really cool and atmospheric pictures! It's not difficult to see the fun you had playing. That's exactly how it should be.

I'm looking forward to your coming pictures.

Another week into the campaign as the heroes reached the bottom of the Hatchlings rumor dungeon. They prevailed with few losses now that they have access to silver treasures.

After the dungeon, they spent a ton of time strategizing with me out of the room about their overland plan. When I sat back down, they acquired a new rumor and placed it next to Olmeric's Hut. On my next turn, I smiled, and played my plot card that Destroyed Olmeric's hut. They glared at me, tossed me out of the room, and started to frantically put together a new plan. Muhahaha.

Catch our pictures at: www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

Hello Portland Gamers!

Nice pictures and I loved the captions. Great painting job too! Good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the comments!

Another week of dungeon delving on the Portland Gamers facebook.

The heroes started out in a dangerous outdoor battle, which...they ran from only to go toe-to-toe with the first Overlord Lieutenant, Lady Eliza, in a climactic melee which...she ran from.

The party then used their hatched dragon card won from a rumor a week back to instantly fly to the next Legendary dungeon available in the silver campaign level.

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

Another week of dungeon delving at the Portland Gamers facebook. 35 new photos are up with thrilling comments!

The Fool's Rapids, the second legendary dungeon, was plundered during this adventure. The heroes continued at the second level, made it down to the fourth, and acquired its tasty secrets.

While the first two levels were a breeze, the third floor saw several deaths as did the finale.

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

Descent Game 12/02/09

The campaign moves into the Gold level and things get interesting real quick. The Valley of Lost Souls is the new legendary dungeon the heroes delve into. They used their new skills to great effect, but worked as a team even better. On the Overlord side of the game, I delivered the biggest blow in the campaign to date without dealing a single point of damage.

23 new photos showing last nights game.

Come take a look,

Tom / Doc4

Curious: why the house rule on Other items?

We crash through the last two levels of the Valley of Souls in the gold campaign level. The heroes light things up with powerful gold magic items. At the bottom of the dungeon, a very powerful but unknown treasure awaits them. 24 new photos with excruciating commentary.

Catch our pictures at: www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

The heroes tackled a lieutenant head on, stumbled about in the woods, and then battled three enemies in one small room that almost wiped the party. 30 new photos with invigorating commentary.

Catch our pictures at: Portland Gamers Facebook

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

The last bit of a random dungeon brings in some gold for the heroes, but an old friend corners them in the wilderness. 16 new photos with effervescent commentary.

Catch our pictures at: Portland Gamers Facebook

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

The heroes make their last attempt to grab some money and experience before the final battle, while the Overlord manages the gaining of experience carefully so as to maximize his potential power for the coming confrontation.

Catch our pictures at the Portland Gamers Site .

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

I gotta know: how does a non-leader monster survive long enough to get 7 burn tokens on it?

If I recall correctly, it was a diamond creature. He was hit by a burn spell that didn't get hurt him too much. The player then chose to spend tons of surges on extra Burns. And then I think he was hit a second time in the same turn with a Battle action by the same spell.

Either that, or Dark Priests need to wear something other than dry linen robes.

Tom / Doc4

The grand finale of the Descent Road to Legends campaign is here. The heroes scour the Sorcerer King's lair in their last attempt to bring justice to the world.

One way or the other, it ends tonight.

25322_424617459357_203774624357_5251419_

25322_424617334357_203774624357_5251401_

Check out the 44 new pictures here at Portland Gamers .

Thanks for dropping by,

Tom / Doc4

Great pictures, but did you really put down the web tokens in that Dungeon straight from the start for the heroes to see? It makes the whole idea of the level kind of pointless...

I always thought (and played) that everything in the dungeons except the red crosses was public knowledge.

We play that anything a player could read in the rulebook is public knowledge for all, at least in the dungeons (Keep, Legendary, Rumors are different). Even knowing where the webs are made the level tricky, since the players had to be careful and plan ahead where they were moving. Also, knockback was great in that level :)

-shnar

shnar said:

We play that anything a player could read in the rulebook is public knowledge for all, at least in the dungeons (Keep, Legendary, Rumors are different). Even knowing where the webs are made the level tricky, since the players had to be careful and plan ahead where they were moving. Also, knockback was great in that level :)

-shnar

...Except that there is no monster with knockback on that level. serio.gif

On top of that, the level says any hero entering a marked space is affected by a web token, not monsters. Putting them straight on the map makes it look as if every figure would be affected.

It seems obvious to me that heroes are supposed to discover the pattern of web-trapped spaces. If a trap is visible for all to see, it's not a trap anymore.

1) It seems obvious to me that when things are "obvious" to you it comes across as condescending whether you intend it or not. Smile. Have fun. Life is short. Have a cookie.

2) Definite knockback opportunities in every level of Descent, and it happened to us on this very level and more than once.

3) Well you can debate the value of revealing X's or not, but to read aloud the special text of the dungeon (as must be done per page 17 of the rules) the next question the players are going to ask is "So where are these X's?". This would start to get into a grey area of violation of Wheaton's Law at our house.

When you drop by our place you can harass, maim, and kill your fellow players to your heart's content, but everyone MUST follow Wheaton's Law at all times:

"Don't be a ****."

Tom / Doc4

Ispher said:

shnar said:

-shnar

...Except that there is no monster with knockback on that level. serio.gif

On top of that, the level says any hero entering a marked space is affected by a web token, not monsters. Putting them straight on the map makes it look as if every figure would be affected.

It seems obvious to me that heroes are supposed to discover the pattern of web-trapped spaces. If a trap is visible for all to see, it's not a trap anymore.

I think I would have to agree with you, although if other people wish to play the other way, more power to them, though I do believe it largely defeats the purpose of the level.

Doc4 said:

1) It seems obvious to me that when things are "obvious" to you it comes across as condescending whether you intend it or not. Smile. Have fun. Life is short. Have a cookie.

I was merely pointing out something that seemed illogical to me with rational arguments. It's called constructive criticism I think. Sorry if it came across as condescending, even if on that topic you seem to play in quite a better league than I. gran_risa.gif