Least Known Rules

By Hybrid, in CoC Rules Discussion

Are you aware that ? ;

if you gain control of an opponents character with an attachment

the opponent technically still has control of the attachment?

there is a 'mulligan' rule in COClcg?

you have the right to see what cards your opponent has resourced?

Just curious how many players are aware of these. #1 and #2 caught me

by suprise and additionally I completely disagree with #1.

1. er no, but if you have control of the character it wont make any difference to the oponent as he cant use the attachment elsewhere

2 yes in ccg, could not find it in lcg

3. yes

as long as you control the attachment it's still yours to use if you can. so it does matter in some cases. say you take a character with rabbit's foot.

Miskatonic University
Rabbit's Foot
-
- Steadfast [MISKATONIC] -
Type : Support
Cost : 0
Subtype : Attachment. Item.
Game Text: Attach to a [Miskatonic] character. Response: After attached character commits to a story, reveal the top card of your deck, then put that card into your hand. If the revealed card was a character card, C struggles do not resolve at that story this phase.

you may have the the character but you cant use this response, but i still could if i wanted to.

I knew about 1 and 3, but what's the mulligan rule?!

bad opening hand so you get to reshuffle and draw a new starting hand.. you'd only get one, so you cant keep calling mulligan. but it would be a nice rule for when you draw nothing but turn 2-3 characters....

PearlJamaholic said:

bad opening hand so you get to reshuffle and draw a new starting hand.. you'd only get one, so you cant keep calling mulligan. but it would be a nice rule for when you draw nothing but turn 2-3 characters....

Warhammer:Invasion has that in the rules. I've been thinking about it for CoC as well.

You might be suprised.

Just one example, you take control of an opponents' character

and are all happy that it will finally put you over the top but then

your opponent uses the 'Shotgun' attached to the character to

blast all your comitted characters! sorpresa.gif wah wah wahhh

darknight said:

1. er no, but if you have control of the character it wont make any difference to the oponent as he cant use the attachment elsewhere

What other suprising and obscure rulings are out there?

PearlJamaholic said:

i dont really see how you can control the character but not an attachment with him, its the character has been given whatever, so should go with the character, that is just sensible

you place bite marks on an opponents character, you give them control of the attachment??? now what are the chances they will ever trigger the card?

now you could use repo man to also get the attachment if you wanted it bad enough after you took control of a character.

but taking a character doesnt give you control of anything but the character. but you have to look at each attachment though, while you might not control it in some cases you can still use it. shotgun "attached character gains..." that ability is all yours to use, but if a sac an attachment effect happens you cant pick it cause you still dont control it.

Faq p.7

"When an effect causes control of a card to change, control of any attachments on that card does not change . The attachments remain attached to that card and will continue to affect that card as described in their card text. They also remain under control of the player who originally played them ."

You don't control the attachment but a passif effect is always on, The character still have the bonus from an Alhazred Lamp even if you don't control the lamp attached, for example. It's important in case of attachment with a triggered effect like an Action, Reponse or Interrupt : only the controler of the card can trigger the effect.

but do you see what i mean, in a real life sort of way, for example you have drank a potion giving you super human strenghth, suddenly i mind control you, you are still strong, i cant get rid of that, just like if you had a powerfull gun, you would still use it, ok you could it but you know what im saying, it seems more sensible if you control the character its him or it with all its powers

It' s may be logical but it's not the rules for this game.

1 : Totally agree with Dadajef, he's correct

2: No muligan rules exists, BUT : Servitors may allow players who are ok (the two had to be) to do a mulligan. It's not strictly games rules, it's sportmanlike attitude. I do accept it in my tournaments, even if i don't see a lot for year's ...

3 : You must do so, as opponents might change the way ressources are placed (dockside speakeasy) and might interfer with the ressources.

i know its not in the rules, i was just saying that would be a sensible way, thats all, no biggie happy.gif

PRODIGEE said:

Of course he's 'right' but as darknight made clear it's counter intuitive and the Call of Cthulhu LCG

would do best to strike a balance between simulation and playability.

2: No muligan rules exists, BUT : Servitors may allow players who are ok (the two had to be) to do a mulligan. It's not strictly games rules, it's sportmanlike attitude. I do accept it in my tournaments, even if i don't see a lot for year's ...

Just because you haven't personally found the mulligan ruling doesn't mean it doesn't exsist.

A number of our players were told at GenCon that the mulligan rule exists in the tournament rules

and this was from Nate/Eric.

3 : You must do so, as opponents might change the way ressources are placed (dockside speakeasy) and might interfer with the ressources.

Well, tournament rules are an entirely different beast. There's the game rules, there's the FAQ and then there's the league rules...

Where do I find any current tournament rules? And aren't they different for each tournament?

Hybrid said:

You might be suprised.

Just one example, you take control of an opponents' character

and are all happy that it will finally put you over the top but then

your opponent uses the 'Shotgun' attached to the character to

blast all your comitted characters! sorpresa.gif wah wah wahhh

darknight said:

What other suprising and obscure rulings are out there?

Actually, with the shotgun, it is worded very carefully so that the controller of the card it is attached to gets to use it, not the controller of the attachment. In this case it says "Attached character gains 'pay 1 to blah blah'" So even though Player A played the shotgun before Player B took control of the character it was attached to, player B can use the effect since it is now "on" the character, not the attachment.

Yeah, as PearJamaholic pointed out earlier my example doesn't apply

however my point remains, you gain control of the character but not the attachment.

Again this seems counter intuitive and I can't figure why such a ruling would be neccessary.

Since I'd imagine a decent number of players are unaware of this rule It would be very easy to reverse it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

As far as 'Tournament Rules' are concerned, these are the rules that govern play for Worlds

therefore I would think they'd be considered the ultimate version. Certainly local events could

deviate from this as the Servitor deems wise.

KallistiBRC said:

Actually, with the shotgun, it is worded very carefully so that the controller of the card it is attached to gets to use it, not the controller of the attachment. In this case it says "Attached character gains 'pay 1 to blah blah'" So even though Player A played the shotgun before Player B took control of the character it was attached to, player B can use the effect since it is now "on" the character, not the attachment.

KallistiBRC took the words right out of my mouth - for the most part if an attachment logically enhances the character it's attached to then the benefit will not go away even if control of the character changes. Text such as "Attached character gains..." is not control-sensitive and is quite common.

On the other hand, interesting attachments which are curses (or cursed) or otherwise have effects which can be negative are excellent options for subtle play when either played on an opponents' character or on your own prior to it being controlled.

The rules are quite clear and logical - and with the exception of the mulligan rule nothing in this post is new or unusual. I have no idea where the mulligan rule can be found in the rules or FAQ, though.

Hybrid said:

PRODIGEE said:

Of course he's 'right' but as darknight made clear it's counter intuitive and the Call of Cthulhu LCG

would do best to strike a balance between simulation and playability.

Just because you haven't personally found the mulligan ruling doesn't mean it doesn't exsist.

A number of our players were told at GenCon that the mulligan rule exists in the tournament rules

and this was from Nate/Eric.

Don't get me wrong, but, concerning the mulligan's stuff, I still say that it's not on the rules. I took a look at this (Organizing rules, players rules from all edition and did'nt find anything. Tell me where is it and I'll deeply apologize, but I don't take care of a ruling made on a tournament if it's not reported on a faq or anything else.

No need for apologies.

I'm just passing on what we were told by Nate/ Eric a couple of months ago.

You might want to talk to one of them if you need confirmation.

PRODIGEE said:

Don't get me wrong, but, concerning the mulligan's stuff, I still say that it's not on the rules. I took a look at this (Organizing rules, players rules from all edition and did'nt find anything. Tell me where is it and I'll deeply apologize, but I don't take care of a ruling made on a tournament if it's not reported on a faq or anything else.

Nate and Eric are not beings of omnipotent power - they could say that there's a rule that FFG employees always win, yet this would not make it so unless it got published in an official FAQ or other documented material. (Babylon 5 CCG had an equivalent promo card, "Surprise!" which was quite cool)

Regardless of what they may or may not have said, verbal 'rulings' are not available to players internationally (or even nationally) who weren't in the room with them at the time and any repetition of their purported words is hearsay and probably unverifiable.

I'm not suggesting that they didn't talk about a mulligan rule - perhaps that's an unwritten thing they've always assumed - but I reject the notion that it's part of the Call of Cthulhu CCG (or LCG) rules unless it's actually written down and made officially available to players everywhere. Or, at the very least, until I get a signed letter from Nate or Eric informing me of this new rule. gui%C3%B1o.gif

i do believe agot does have the mulligan rule printed. not 100% on that though since i havent played in years. so if coc did have the rule id imagine they would have printed it for coc....

Wow.

Do what you will. I just provided some info.

Ignore it , implement it or E-mail someone if your curious.

I really could care less. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Muzar_Nulus said:

Nate and Eric are not beings of omnipotent power - they could say that there's a rule that FFG employees always win, yet this would not make it so unless it got published in an official FAQ or other documented material. (Babylon 5 CCG had an equivalent promo card, "Surprise!" which was quite cool)

Regardless of what they may or may not have said, verbal 'rulings' are not available to players internationally (or even nationally) who weren't in the room with them at the time and any repetition of their purported words is hearsay and probably unverifiable.

I'm not suggesting that they didn't talk about a mulligan rule - perhaps that's an unwritten thing they've always assumed - but I reject the notion that it's part of the Call of Cthulhu CCG (or LCG) rules unless it's actually written down and made officially available to players everywhere. Or, at the very least, until I get a signed letter from Nate or Eric informing me of this new rule. gui%C3%B1o.gif