aura

By mordak5, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

if a main level monster attacks a hero that has aura 4, and the monster only has 4 lives left and therefore dies, do the heros get to claim the kill, given that they have not delivered the killing blow?

mordak5 said:

if a main level monster attacks a hero that has aura 4, and the monster only has 4 lives left and therefore dies, do the heros get to claim the kill, given that they have not delivered the killing blow?

FAQ pg 8
Q: If the Leader of a level dies without any hero landing the killing blow, does the party still receive the reward (Conquest, Gold, Red Runekey)? What about Lieutenants: if a Lieutenant dies without any hero landing the killing blow, does the party still receive the reward for "killing" the Lieutenant?
A: Yes they do.

Basically, the 'Killing blow' thing is a vanilla ruling, necessary becuase vanilla rewards are mostly individual and it can be difficult to keep track of exactly which non-killing-blow effect killed a monster.
Since in RtL all rewards are party rewards, the killing blow rule is no longer as important, though it is still significant for unnamed Master monsters and Black Curse.

Thanks Corbon,

I remember it being in vanilla. The monster will die on the hero's next turn, without getting an attack of its own in, so I was looking to deprive them of some goodies, by basically killing it myself, ah well.

mordak5 said:

Note that Aura actually inflicts damage when you move adjacent to the hero, NOT when you attack him. So if it's a melee monster, it will die before it makes the attack, and if it's a ranged monster, it can attack without being hurt at all.

Regarding the level leader rewards, I would tend to view that as an extension of the vanilla rules; in vanilla, you still win the quest when the boss dies, regardless of how it died. There are simply some effects that are dependent on who does the killing (master monster bounty, Black Curse, etc.) and other effects that are not.

yeah its a melee attack, I will have to move it away from the hero's and hope it survives long enough to get an attack in. Stupid monster has the mask that takes all the damage from melee or ranged attacked, so the hero have hit it with magic attacks which is a bit of a pain cos they are faster than the monster.