The Ice Queen

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

Following the release of the latest web content for the Frostmarch expansion, I am now able to release a little something (or should I say someone) that I hope you will find interesting.

ti_theicequeen.png

More over at Talisman Island !

Most definitely fans of the Reaper (and others) are going to love it.

Awesome idea aplauso.gif

The best homebrew card i have seen ! aplauso.gif

Thanks chaps!

Just to note that, in response to feedback, I have added a small line about her starting in the Crags. I thought it wasn't really important as she teleports around the place, but at least it gets her playing piece onto the board. Everything else is the same.

That's good tweak, though. Appropriate to the persona.

I only want to change number 5

Winter gift !

Roll one die

1: Gain 1 fate

2 Gain 1 gold

3 Gain 1 life

4 Gain 1 strength

5 Gain 1 craft

6 Gain 1 spell, or teleport to any space in this region

If we have the Frostmarch, and we have play that expansion, then i want to add the new Ice queen card to the game to see how it will turn out, with these small adjustments.. gran_risa.gif

People cannot choose for strength and craft anymore demonio.gif

Only if the Ice queen finds them really worthy...

Jon, this is awesome!

I think we'd all love to see this show up on an official variants secion on the support page. How cool would that be?

crimhead said:

Jon, this is awesome!

I think we'd all love to see this show up on an official variants secion on the support page. How cool would that be?

i agree.

But let's play test the card first. gui%C3%B1o.gif

@ Velhart - As we discussed, you can feel free to alter anything you like in your game, but I wanted to keep the card standard in that is what a normal "wish" is in Talisman. I see nothing wrong with being to choose a Strength or Craft as that is the basic point of the game anyway, and I think if you have risked life and limb with The Ice Queen then you deserve the choice!

@ Crimhead - I wish!! gran_risa.gif

talismanisland said:

@ Velhart - As we discussed, you can feel free to alter anything you like in your game, but I wanted to keep the card standard in that is what a normal "wish" is in Talisman. I see nothing wrong with being to choose a Strength or Craft as that is the basic point of the game anyway, and I think if you have risked life and limb with The Ice Queen then you deserve the choice!

Hi Jon,

i know, but this was just a new idea, so people cannot choose for strength or Craft anymore.

Now they must earn it from the Ice Queen.

What for gift shall we get today?

Maybe it's they lucky day gran_risa.gif

Hmmm... I can see both V.'s and Jon's points, as I'm not sure about the whole "wish" thing in this case. But overall, Jon's mechanic is simpler and cleaner for an uber-Enemy running around the board instead of waiting at the endgame. And it will appeal better to the younger and newer players who've just discovered Talisman in the 4ER version.

Sorry for gravedigging an old thread here, we just played with the Ice Queen and she was a great added game element! There was the Reaper, Toad King, and her running around to much hilarity. I got the brunt of her attention, I think she came a'callin' 4 times to me, and sure didn't like me taking out that Frost Giant! We also had her leer at me whenever I cast and icy spell ;) The ending turned out to be the Ice Queen herself so it was all quite epic. Excellent card and wonderful addition to our game! I'm using a Runebound character for her right now but will be looking into getting her own distinct fig this week :)

Old topics never die here, so don't worry!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed playing with the Ice Queen NPC. It sounds like you had a lot going on in that game!

For a miniature you might want to look at the Ice Sorceress from Freebooter Miniatures . She's a limited edition from 2008, but they have plenty left.

I had mine painted up by Steve Dean and it looks rather impressive (I think!)

sd_icequeen-finish.jpg

I had an idea for a new take on the Grim Reaper last night. I shall ponder some more and mock a card up soon!

There's a lot of nice figs on that site... if I can't find anything suitable then she looks like a perfect candidate :)

It was a fun and chaotic game, having 3 NPC's running around was great and sometimes your actions would set more than one off. They definitly had an impact on the game!

Her Royal Glacier was pretty busy in tonight's game and a question was brought up.

What we've been doing is any time there was a combat, whether it was win, loose or draw, you then had an encounter with IQ. This happened whether or not it was a card you picked up from the Adventure deck or one that was already face up on the board.

Then her Palace showed up, and I'm wondering, does she show up everytime you visit her Palace? Or is it just the first time when you draw the card?

How we played it was everytime you visited as well, and this went for any card in the Adventure deck. Does the encounter only count for the first time or every subsequent encounter?

I'm using this figurine right now, but on the lookout for something else still:

BloodWars05.jpg

She's serving quite well for now especially as she's the only coloured figure in our as grisaille collection

I'm glad she's causing a bit of havoc for you!

You are correct to play it like that. She comes a knocking whenever you have encountered a card bearing the Frostmarch icon. This includes face up cards, and whatever the result of any combat is.

Just be thankful that there isn't a second table that you have to roll on if you actually KILL one of her minions!!

That miniature looks pretty good to use for the minute. I actually had another mini painted up which I thought might be more readily available. She is "Snowbird" from the HeroClix range. She might look a little "superheroesque", but she would do at a pinch.

ice_queen_tower.jpg

Usually she's up in my grill, I have a tendency to attract her ire. However this game, my wife was frozen and fell down several crevices whereas she was granted me a couple of wishes ( as did Reaper once along with 2 rolls of 5 ( visit another player... )) which I used to teleport to a quickly dwindling Pool of Strength in the Hidden Valley. I broke a several game loosing streak with a crazy overkill in Str by the end, something like 14 base and 23 in combat ( Gladiator with lotsa Followers ( & 3 Talismans... ) ) to her Knight's base Str 8, 12 in combat, good times :) ( Crown & Sceptre ending, merciful and quick )

That's a nice figure too! I'm thinking that there will be some painting on the horizon, as you can have pretty much any figure and the colour scheme changes everything. It was nice having her Palace pulled because then she would occasionally visit it to see what was going on ( along with the Knight & Reaper, quite the convention at times )

inkblob said:

Then her Palace showed up, and I'm wondering, does she show up everytime you visit her Palace? Or is it just the first time when you draw the card?

Funny question lengua.gif

Thinking about it... it's a bit weird if you have visit her in the palace by rolling the die, and after that, she comes back and you must roll again gran_risa.gif

Why should the ice queen npc be triggered, if you have meet her already in the palace...mmm preocupado.gif i know it's a frostmarch card but.......

Think of it as the Ice Queen kicking you in the pants as you leave her castle.

Yeah, that would make it difficult, if she has change you in a toad gran_risa.gif partido_risa.gif

I love this option from Talisman Island! Great concept. To make things easy I just took the Alastiel Elf Sorceress from REAPER miniatures to create her. I cut out her sword, added some green stuff, and painted her with lots of gloss. She works perfectly!

l.jpg

That's pretty cool!

I think I need to put up a gallery of Ice Queen's that people are using to depict her in-game.

gran_risa.gif

talismanisland said:

For a miniature you might want to look at the Ice Sorceress from Freebooter Miniatures . She's a limited edition from 2008, but they have plenty left.

I had mine painted up by Steve Dean and it looks rather impressive (I think!)

sd_icequeen-finish.jpg

Excellent suggestion. I got mine in the mail today (# 918). Looking forward to painting it and try the talismanisland Ice queen-rules =)

So I found as decks got more complicated with more icons we often neglected her royal shiverness. What we've been doing the past couple of games to an interesting effect is she is activated every time someone uses a fate token. then player who used fate rolls for her. Play her like werewolf at night where she stops on a player in her path and she encounters them.

Made it a lot easier to keep track of her with minimal oops I forgot and a decent amount, but not too much, action by her on the board. Made fate rolls, which were usually already dramatically heightened, even higher stakes.