Movement question

By player673924, in Ad Astra

Hi, I have a question about movement typically when you break down the movements.

For two fuel you can move from a planet in one system to a planet in another system as depicted on the movement card.

For one fuel you can move from a planet in any system to deep space.

for free you can move from deep space to any planet in the two depicted systems

So is this legal? and it also saves fuel

Position 3 on the Action Track. Fred has played a movement card, your card is next and it is also a movement card and you want to move one of your starships from your water planet with a colony to find a new ore planet. From Freds movement card you choose to spend one fuel to move into deep space, the rest of the players move their ships. Position 4, is your movement card and you choose to pick a new planet from one of the systems on the card you do this with out expending any fuel.

Something does not sit right in my mind about playing a system jump like this, my mind thinks another it shoudl cost another fuel. but I suppose splitting the cost over 2 actions sort of covers this and it makes a good way of making cheap jumps.

Andy.

I believe the way you described it Andy is correct, since you are splitting it over 2 actions, and you also can never be sure you'll get another travel action to buddy off of.

Yes that is a legal sequence of actions. If you're worried about a buddy not playing a move before you, you can always play two movement cards yourself - just make sure the system you want to go to is pictured on the card that comes up second. If you want a logical reason for why it's cheaper, it's because your ship is moving slower. Each card on the turn sequence represents a certain amount of game time, so if your ship wants to get from point A to point B in "one unit" of time, he needs to burn more fuel accelerating to a speed that will get him there fast enough. If he's willing to take his sweet time he only needs to accelerate fast enough to reach a feasible interstellar speed and then drift until he reaches the destination.

Remember, in space constant thrust equals constant acceleration, so if you're willing to move at a slower pace you can shut the engines off sooner, thus saving gas. =)

Thanks guys for the replies, again I had a little daemon in my mind telling me that I was missing something when all was good. That'll teach me to open a gate to Yog-Shoggoth happy.gif