How are you playing Kilik?: An honest question about a heavy control character.

By darklogos, in UFS General Discussion

We had our store championships last week. I got a Kilik. At first when I sat down to design him I had a primarly chaos/water hybrid going on in my head. I was going to use chaos foundations and assets. I was going to use water attacks and action cards. As I built the deck chaos worked less and less. Yes Mishima Z Leader, and a few other chaos cards stand out but they didn't seem to pull anything out of Kilik. I looked to change my foundation focus to All gaining some card draw and some other nice perks. I looked at all's attacks and I found myself returning to stunville. I turned to look at water as a person looks at leftovers and I found something interesting. I found the ability to tank. Using cards like Irong Body and Relaxing model I found I could knock out more attacks in a turn then I expected. I also found myself using Water's reversal access to play more like Astrid without the pummel smash. I found that Kilik could build on his turn, and attack on his opponents turn. If his opponent didn't attack he would take the time to build some more. Without card destruction, Kilik gets to a place of strong lockdown. I was hoping that by adding in some chaos cards to give me some destruction edges I would be able to control tempo a lot more. All I found that I was left with was a swollen deck that needed to be cut down a lot. How do you feel about actually playing Kilik? What are your design ideas for the character? Do you think All and Chaos are better ways to go with him?

With a lighter. > :( . I hate that card.

I find he is quite fun off of water, actually. With Pendant of the Western Paradise, and a little of Yi Shan's foundations, he can return any attack from the discard pile, and draw a card as an essentially free F. He also shares two of Christie's symbols, so if you wanted to start breakdancing, I haven't found it too hard to do.

Addressing the character himself: Kicking cards out of a card pool, while a good defense, is hardly what I'd consider control. As for ALL stun decks, those add the element of control.

While I'm happy for you having the card already, there may be many who don't have it yet, so to get a true response to your question, you might be a bit premature. As for "how would I play it once I got it"? I'd probably go CHAOS, but that's because I've loved CHAOS for longer than anyone else playing the game. I'll admit it's nice to see it becoming strong again as it was in early Block 2. TDRT, ETFR, ZMWK, DiHW, backed by For the Money is a good place to start...but then again that's fun for any CHAOS character.

Kilik F + Pendant on the Western Paradise, you say?

Wow, not gonna lie, that's much like Unorthodox Style days of yore. Increases his handsize for shizzle, but running him off Water just feels so weird.

Never the less, seems like a viable enough strategy.

Without having build the deck yet, I am probably going to adopt an aggro build with him honestly. The card pool clearing e, while broken, really doesn't it lend itself to being relied on at this point in the meta. However, the deck shines in that it gets to play an aggro game with an all stun suite and then controlling tempo by kicking out 1 or 2 key attacks a turn. With the huge amount of stun in this format i dont feel that he is going to be hard locking people as much as you might think. But he can keep great pace and the card draw ability is great for an aggro build. Just what I am going to try. Who knows, hes probably garbage lol!

I just think that all hes going to do is change the way everyone plays thier deck anda isnt really going to be good for anything but a mild annoyance

People are just going to make sure they get thier speed buffs down early and just start speeding up thier attacks.....at least thats what i would do if i were playing against him.

His Draw power might be where he shines but i dont see how drawing is going to help him all that much when there is alot of draw in the format already in his symbols and he doesnt have a super reliable kill like breaker or dragons flame

I guess most of us are going to have to wait and see how he plays honestly i dont see him working well enough for me to want to work with him....maybe if we get some kind of speed reduction in the new set he might be a contender

MarcoPulleaux said:

Wow, not gonna lie, that's much like Unorthodox Style days of yore. Increases his handsize for shizzle, but running him off Water just feels so weird.

So, Kilik with Yi Shan support... but you have to commit one foundation each time you want a face-up momentum.

Uh in how is that a viable strategy?

i find Kilik5 very playable, using a Chaos/Water variation should give you a ballance of what you need, momentum and damage redux thru Christie & YS, i have a deck on my cpu built to maximize the potential on both the card pool clearing ability that Kilik3 wishes he had and the card draw abilites; to answer your question hatman, simple gain a few momentum thru other means, then go Iron Thunder, place ALL attacks that you can face up in momentum and start profiting from them, both help with a kill turn and also use them to reduce damage[Repentant Hero] if you don't have your speed redux out, just wish i had the money to get one myself, sux not having a job... and a league about to fall apart.

N.J.

Homme Chapeau said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

So, Kilik with Yi Shan support... but you have to commit one foundation each time you want a face-up momentum.

Uh in how is that a viable strategy?

Better then nothing, I guess.

There's always Tien Lei, Iron Thunder.

Ryken said:

Better then nothing, I guess.

There's always Tien Lei, Iron Thunder.

The biggest problem with TL;IT is that you must have it in hand and must build momentum prior. I can see the merits of the build, but I'd wait until QfS hits before even considering it.

Zhao Family Discipline adds attacks to momentum face-up if they deal damage. Atoning for the Past hastens this.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Zhao Family Discipline adds attacks to momentum face-up if they deal damage. Atoning for the Past hastens this.

Even then, you're still overcommitting for a so-so combo.

Homme Chapeau said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

Even then, you're still overcommitting for a so-so combo.

Not to mention you wont want to discard that momentum you worked so hard to get with his first ability at that point which i think is his stronger suit anyways

Personaly I was thininng about running mine off all just from Paul and Astrid's support. Lots of card draw and damage pumps. but I'd like ot see what comes out in the next set before I make my decision.

blades0fbl00d said:

Personaly I was thininng about running mine off all just from Paul and Astrid's support. Lots of card draw and damage pumps. but I'd like ot see what comes out in the next set before I make my decision.

Yeah, Water is getting some stuffs.