First time running Anima, I need a little help

By Sachael, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

What is the best way to determine what challenges and creatures your players should be able to handle?

There is no precise way (as with most RPGs). The best eyeball is by level, as both monsters and PCs use that concept to some extent.

So, the total of the levels of the PC would be the best (4 level 1 characters should be able to decently handle a combination of creatures up to total of level 4)?

Sachael said:

So, the total of the levels of the PC would be the best (4 level 1 characters should be able to decently handle a combination of creatures up to total of level 4)?

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Three level 1 heroes won't necessarily be able to face a level 3 elemental, for example (as I had to learn in my campaign).

For a group of, let's say 4 level 1 heroes, you could try several challenges, i.e.:

• 4-5 level 0 thugs, trying to round of the characters
  • 3-4 level 1 adversaries, i.e. a group of competing adventures
  • 2 level 2 natural creatures could be a though challenge
  • 1 level 3 being between worlds could make a good end boss for an adventure

Of course, this depends also on the style and creativity of your players, as well on the overall "munchkinity" of your players :) But with the rule of thumb above you can check and balance things out in later encounters.

Also, it's important to check, how the enemies are going to attack - one assassin might be deadlier than 3 honourable warriors of the same level.

One mistake often made is to think that enemies fight to the dead. Why should they do that? Most people (and creatures) cling to their live and will try to run or give up, if they are hurt. The other way round, many humans don't want to be murderers and will give their enemies a chance to surrender. For this I like the keep at weapons point maneuver, by the way ;)

In my campaign, to finish this thought, I made up some really tough NSCs (Level 8 and 15) which the heroes are going to follow around and try to sabotage their schemes. At the moment, the player characters can't think of winning a fight - but the NSCs also have no intention of killing the group, but rather are going to knock them down (and tie them up). Fighting isn't always about killing ;)

Sachael said:

If you want a 50/50 chance of survival, then yes. The two sides wouldbe roughly matched. However, having PCs lose once on average every 2 combats is unlikely to be a good idea.

Level for creatures means the same thing as it does for PCs, as a rough measure of power. I would recommend that for a level X group, you aim for 1 opponent of the same level and a few of levels below (depending on how you want to mix up the encounter and how hard you want it to be).

Thanks everyone, I think, have a good idea on how to balance it now.

So do you just make creatures and npcs as characters witht the adition of the monsters powers and traits? or is thewhole system for npcs and creatures diffren?

There is a creature creation section in the back of the book. Something that iv noticed while running an anime game. If your NPCs dont have at least 1 guy in the group that has an attack and defense, equal to or greater than the players, they are going to get face stomped.