If I gain the Wyrdling mutation, do I gain the Basic Technique?

By Mr Adventurer, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

You can gain Wyrdling during character generation from the Mutation table. It says "The mutant gains 2 Psychic Techniques of its choice from a discipline of its choice".

Does the now-psyker gain the Discipline's Basic Technique as well as the two Techniques of his choice from that Discipline?

If not, and he wants to be able to use the Basic Technique, does he need to select it with one of his two choices?

I am playing it that yes you can use the basic technique, since the basic technique is sort of the basis of all other techniques in the tree.

While you certainly could run it that way, and arguablity the basic techniques aren't over powered. The wording in the rules states you get 2 techniques. The real question is do you need preqs? I'm sort of torn on the question myself, but none of my players has taken the mutation so it's moot for me right now.

PS- Unless you are a psyker already the Wyrdling mutation seems like a really bad idea. You are an unsanctioned psyker with no way of ever being sanctioned short of being hauled on a blackship. Your use of the powers uses the bottom row of table 6.1. Which means if you use your power at full strength you have a 10% chance of rolling on Psychic Phenomena with a +10 on your roll. Giving you a 45% chance of getting onto the perils of warp table. This of course is assumes that that your party doesn't shoot you, or turn you over to the =][= the 1st time you openly use your power or manifest an obvious phenomena. (Which if I was a player I would do.) I'd be careful what power you choose. Powers that aren't obvious and can be used at a psi of 1. Precog is really the way to go.

Dalnor Surloc said:

This of course is assumes that that your party doesn't shoot you, or turn you over to the =][= the 1st time you openly use your power or manifest an obvious phenomena. (Which if I was a player I would do.)

Rogue Traders are supposed to operate outside of society. Thye are known to have mutants and xenos among their companions, so an unsanctioned psyker isn't too odd to accept. If I was the RT in a group where one PC turned on another PC like this, I'd wait until the Inquisition was done - that the rogue psyker is going to get killed or taken is almost a given - and then I'd promptly maroon or execute the untrustworthy bastard that turned in the psyker. The player of the psyker makes a new character and the player of the bastard gets booted from the group for being a ****.