Missionary and Flamer

By Einbauschrank, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hi there!

Is it correct that the Missionary doesn't automatically get the Flamer (Universal) talent even though he can begin the game with a flamer weapon?

Moreso the Flamer talent is one of the 500 XP one, which are normally reserved for the "inclusive" talents ...

Is this something to be errata'd or is it as it should be?

I believe it's written as intended. Might be something to e-mail FFG about though.

Flamer (Universal) allows use of all classes of flamer ... pistol, basic, and heavy. Thus, it costs 500xp like all the other Universal weapon talents. I imagine that they allow a missionary to start with a flamer due to the fact that a missionary can spend their initial 500xp and buy the flamer talent. I do know that a lot of GMs will probably allow the missionary player to swap out flamer for basic to start as well.

[Remember also, Basic Weapon Training (Universal) includes proficiency with Basic Flame Weapons.] It's a little odd the way some of the weapon trainings work out in RT .

EDIT: Upon further review, the above bracketed comment is off-sides. Flame is the only one not covered in Universal for the Basics. That will remind me to double check before I post.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Also, you still have a good chance of setting people on fire even without the Training, given that it's an automatic hit and they have to make an agility test (with +20 if you don't have the training) to not get hit.

Several careers also start with the option for Primitive melee weapons, not covered by the Melee Weapon (Universal) talent, so this seems quite possible.

MILLANDSON said:

Also, you still have a good chance of setting people on fire even without the Training, given that it's an automatic hit and they have to make an agility test (with +20 if you don't have the training) to not get hit.

The +20 to their AG IS if the one firing does not have the training for flamer. Not everything will have the Dodge talent. Burn away.

Thaddius said:

The +20 to their AG IS if the one firing does not have the training for flamer. Not everything will have the Dodge talent. Burn away.

Isn't dodge a basic skill ?

Bilateralrope said:

Thaddius said:

Yes, except that the flamer uses Agility, rather than Dodge. You don't use Dodge to avoid the flames, just straight Agility.

Except that they also get a chance to Dodge, assuming they can get out of the area of effect with (their Ag bonus) in metres.

So? Most of the time, that's still better chances than you would have with any other untrained weapon. Assuming enemies with 35 agility or less, you'd need a BS of 65+ to have the same chance of hitting someone. And you hit everyone in an area, not just one person.

MILLANDSON said:

Bilateralrope said:

Thaddius said:

Yes, except that the flamer uses Agility, rather than Dodge. You don't use Dodge to avoid the flames, just straight Agility.

Bilateralrope said:

Thaddius said:

Yes so untrained you are at 1/2.

Rules as written that I understand:

If you use your dodge, you get two opportunities to escape. One is the Agility roll, +20 if the attacker is untrained with a flamer. This is free, everybody gets it. Then a straight dodge roll if you want to spend a reaction. Since it is an area attack, an unaffected area must be in Ag meters to be possible - just like a grenade.
Flamers are still great weapons if your BS stinks.

Remember - regular reliability flamers jam on a damage roll of 9. I often forget this one.