Reflection spell

By Daemon22, in Talisman Rules Questions

If A character cast a summon spell (like "Summon Phoenix"),

Can I Reflect that spell with "Reflection", and dose it mean that the character that just cast that spell need to fight the phoenix?

Can someone tell me which spells can be reflected and which one cannot?

Daemon22 said:

Can I Reflect that spell with "Reflection", and dose it mean that the character that just cast that spell need to fight the phoenix?

Don't think Summon Spells are reflected. General rule of thumb, if it directly affects you or is cast at you (Random, Mesmerism, etc), you can Reflect. If it affects the caster (Transference, Psionic Blast), can't reflect. Latter I'd say goes for "neutral" spells like Barrier and Hex.

Daemon22 said:

The reason to cast reflection, is to prevent you from harming.

If you reflect a summon spell, the spell effects still the caster, and he can still cast it.

So it is useless to use that spell on it, unless you want to get rid of it.

But you can better use it for random spells or other spells that will harm you.

I will tell you the situation:

A character draw a 5 srt enemy and use the "Summon Phoenix" spell,

I'm using the reflection spell on that one, so the spell will reflect back to the caster, so now he will have to encounter a 10 srt enemy,

Is this possible?

Daemon22 said:

I will tell you the situation:

A character draw a 5 srt enemy and use the "Summon Phoenix" spell,

I'm using the reflection spell on that one, so the spell will reflect back to the caster, so now he will have to encounter a 10 srt enemy,

Is this possible?

no, i don't think so.

From how i see it, the spell that the caster cast is coming back at himself.

If the spell is positive, nothing bad happens, but if the spell has a negative effect, then something will happen to the caster.

Summon Phoenix has no negative effect.

From reaper expansion, the spells, that should have a negative effect with reflection should be:

Shatter,sleep, transmute,gust of wind.slow motion,

From base) Nullify, Random,Immobility

From Dungeon: weakness, finger of death?

This is how i see it..

Thanks for giving me your point of view, sounds logical.

Daemon22 said:

yes, but if somebody cast the mesmerism spell, then you can use it at least to defence against the spell, but it will not effect the caster.

The caster cannot steal a follower from himself. that would be weird..

If i cast the reflection spell on the mesmerism, wouldnt it allow me to steel a follower like as i cast that spell on him?

Velhart said:

Daemon22 said:

yes, but if somebody cast the mesmerism spell, then you can use it at least to defence against the spell, but it will not effect the caster.

I don't thin Mesmerism and such Spells can be legal targets for Reflection. Mesmerism is used at the start of the spellcasting Character's turn and gives him the chance to take a Follower from the chosen Character. Even if it not explicit, target is the caster himself (can't reflect in this case). Reflection is not a Counterspell with optional effects.

The way i see it is that if you cast the Mesmerism spell on a character and hypnotizing him, that will allow you to steel a follower,

If that character reflect that spell he will hypnotize you and will be able to steel a follower from you.

Am i getting this the wrong way?

The_Warlock said:

Velhart said:

Daemon22 said:

I don't thin Mesmerism and such Spells can be legal targets for Reflection. Mesmerism is used at the start of the spellcasting Character's turn and gives him the chance to take a Follower from the chosen Character. Even if it not explicit, target is the caster himself (can't reflect in this case). Reflection is not a Counterspell with optional effects.

yes it is. ( the only difference between counterspell and reflection is, that counterspell negates the whole spell, and reflection turns the effects back to the caster)

Reflection says that it can turn any spell that has been cast back to the caster.

Somebody cast mesmerism, and the other use reflection, so the ( caster) can not steal a follower from him, so he gets the effects instead, but those effects will not work against him gui%C3%B1o.gif

Daemon22 said:

The way i see it is that if you cast the Mesmerism spell on a character and hypnotizing him, that will allow you to steel a follower,

If that character reflect that spell he will hypnotize you and will be able to steel a follower from you.

Am i getting this the wrong way?

Reflection is only turning back the effects to the caster himself, it's not that the victim will cast the spell back at him..

But the effects from mesmerism don't work against the caster, so he is lucky, but you have prevent him from stealing a follower from you gui%C3%B1o.gif