Was Magnus the Red an attempt to splice the Navigator gene into a Primarch?

By weaver95, in Dark Heresy

Call it random speculation while bored at work - but could Magnus the Red (the primarch of the 1000 sons chapter) have been an attempt by the Emperor to create a primarch spliced with the Navigator gene? I could see the advantages to that experiment....a primarch that could see the warp and use it to guide his actions, but remain uncorrupted by what he saw. Or at least better protected anyways. If Magnus hadn't been lost to the Emperor I wonder how it might have otherwise turned out....

Interesting idea and would explain why Magnus seems to be the only explicitly Psychic Primarch before the Heresy.

Question is how to link that in to a Dark Heresy adventure?

Maybe a Navigator Family that venerates Magnus as a Saint and has dealings with the Thousand Sons....

Visitor Q said:

Interesting idea and would explain why Magnus seems to be the only explicitly Psychic Primarch before the Heresy.

Maybe a Navigator Family that venerates Magnus as a Saint and has dealings with the Thousand Sons....

well...when it comes to genetic experimentation in the 40k universe, I think 'Fabius Bile'. Or more specifically in this case, Bile's notes on genetic augmentation. I could see a group of radicals using Bile's notes and ideas to try to engineer themselves a cadre of 'super soldiers'. Can you imagine the uses of a group of space marine navigators? just that warp eye blast thinge alone would be horrific on the battlefield. Not to mention all the other abilities of being a navigator.

I guess after reading Rogue Trader and some of the up and coming details on the radical handbook i'm just thinking of things for various tech heretics to do with the navigator gene.

Visitor Q said:

Spoiler for Purge the Unclean:

The Serrated Query seems to work for one of Magnus’ original tutors, now an ancient Sorcerer of Chaos. So this could be a next-step into and adventure involving him, perhaps attempting to recreate the original experiment that led to the birth of his best student using Navigator DNA and Chaos Space Marine geneseed.

********** End Spoiler Buffer *******