Tahlia's ability

By cogollo, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Maybe it has been answered before, but I cannot find the answer in the forum (and I've read my lot) so my question is:

Tahlia's ability: is Tahlia able to move before and after the attack (for a total of 3 Movement Points, of course)? or is she able to move only after or before the attack... in other words, the "or" used in her ability is inclusive or exclusive?

It's exclusive, she moves her speed either before or after the attack. She can't split it.

Also, she can only move that many squares. It's not an actual move action nor does she have movement points, so she could not drink a potion, trade gear, etc.

That´s not quite correct. She receives 3 MP (if her speed is still 3) which she can spend freely for all legal movement actions. See the GLoAQ thread for that. And nothing on the card implies to me that she has to keep a strict order of attack - move or move - attack.

Sorry, I didn't realize a designer had gone against the wording of the card and had his email copied into an unofficial thread, but never moved it to the FAQ.

The reason I said she can only move that number of spaces is that she is not taking a move action, which is normally how you get movement points. The reason I say she has to split them is the wording on the card, which says she moves X spaces before or after. If the "or" is inclusive, then english grammar would allow her to move x spaces both before and after, for a total of 2x movement, which is clearly not the intent.

But the "stealth errata" from Kevin makes my reasoning moot, since it turns her power into a full move action, with all the movement-point goodness that entails. At least in groups which use that thread and not just the official FAQ.

James McMurray said:

At least in groups which use that thread and not just the official FAQ.

Of course, that thread IS an official faq since its been repeatedly edited by both Kevin Wilson and JR Goodwin before, and all the answers there are OFFICIAL answers from the game designers.

Then why aren't they in the FAQ in the support section so that anyone who wants support for the game can easily get them? Granted, FFG is hardly a model for how best to organize your information, but having multiple sources for possibly conflicting answers it supposedly frequently asked questions is an incredibly bad idea.

James McMurray said:

Then why aren't they in the FAQ in the support section so that anyone who wants support for the game can easily get them? Granted, FFG is hardly a model for how best to organize your information, but having multiple sources for possibly conflicting answers it supposedly frequently asked questions is an incredibly bad idea.

I fully agree with you that some of that stuff should be in the FAQ and some of it has made it into the FAQ. Anything you see in the GLoAQ that is also in the FAQ started off in the GLoAQ first. But yes there is a bunch of stuff, that despite the best efforts of some, they have never put in there. After the last FAQ we got them to at least try and update it since there were several contradictory changes between the FAQ and the GLoAQ.

It does suck, but its what we've got. Maybe if I have time I'll see if I can turn it into a pdf and put it on BGG so people can print it out.

For what it's worth, the "move X spaces" wording is also used in the descriptions for Run, Advance, and Ready actions, so if those give you movement points, then saying that Tahlia's ability grants movement points is consistent. But I agree that it's a poor choice of words in all cases.

(At least, the rules pdf uses that wording, it's possible they changed it in a later printing.)

Thanks for the answers... It would be a good thing if an explanation of Tahlia's ability went into the FAQ.