my first expansion ana da question about it

By DarkAmbient, in Talisman Home Brews

Hello,
I have made my first expansion it's called Arch Demons or Erzämonen. It is in German, but i will translate it in english, as soon as possible.
I wanna upload it, but i have a question about the Copyright. Can i have any Problem with that, because i have taken many Wizard of the Coast Pictures.
Here is an example for one of my characters

golemvorderseite.jpg

Thanks of answers !
and sorry, my english is not very good

Hi D.A.

An interesting idea, and it seems to have good balance. You just need a little help with your English. Here is the card's text with some corrections that keep all that you want this character to be... and add some more to make certain game details more clear.

=============

Special Abilities:

Your skin is like Armour . If your are defeated in Battle and just lost a Life, roll 1 die. If you roll a 5 or 6, then you did not lose a Life but still lost the Battle.

You must repair yourself to replace lost Lives. Pay 2G to the Doctor in the City or the Healer in the Village to heal 1 Life. You may still gain Lives like other characters during the game.

You may upgrade yourself in the City. Pay 5 Gold there to gain 1 Strength.

You can never be turned into a toad.

============

I would change one thing, as a suggestion.

A Doctor or Healer could not repair a magically created golem. It is logical that healing is done through the Doctor or Healer, but that is not what the Golem is doing. He is being repaired and would need to visit the Blacksmith in the Village to fix its metal body. He might also visit the Alchemist instead in the City, who has the power to turn Objects into gold, so might be able to do the opposite to fix a golem.

This does not change what he is doing; it just makes it more logical. A special note could be added to keep him from interacting with the Blacksmith or Alchemist in other ways if he is getting repaired. Here is how I would word it...

You must repair rather than heal to replace lost Lives. Pay 2 gold to the Alchemist in the City or the Blacksmith in the Village to repair 1 lost Life. You may not do anything else there while being repaired .

You may gain Lives like other characters during the game, and any Spell or Magic Object that heals lost Lives will repair you as well.

On whether or not you can upload this for others to download, that is a question with mixed answers from different people. Legally, you have stolen copyrighted property (the artwork / image), as it is owned by the artist, and the publication that used it has purchased protected rights by contract. You have not been granted the right to use and redistribute it from both of them. From most countries in the world, it would be illegal to distribute this card, but that has not stopped 90% of people who make home made stuff for Talisman . So, you will need to decide for yourself.

hey
thanks for the hints. You have right, i must add some more certain game details.
The Idea with the Blacksmith (or alchemist) is very good, its make the repairing more logical.
However here are two characters, which are in my expansion.
I have translated as good as possible, but i don't know if there special abilitys are clear

The first one is the poison maid, in German it is Giftmischerin , but i don't know how to translate it.

poisonmaidvorderseite.jpg

The second one is the Kensai, he has a little bit of the swordmaster form the 2nd edition, i think

kensaivorderseite.jpg

Thanks for answers

HI D.A. I'm glad I could give you something of use. And all my comments are just my views and you should always do what you want.

I do not speak any language except English, but I do have some heavy duty translation software I use from time to time. "Giftmischerin" translates as "poisoner" in all of them. For your English version, I would go with "Poisonous Maiden" or "Venom Maiden."

"Kensai" is a very common western spelling for the term on that character. But by the International Standards Organization, ISO, the more correct Anglicization (turning eastern language symbols into words with letters) would be "Kensei," which means literally "the sword's saint" and figuratively "sword saint".

Here are my English edits for the two new characters... with some suggestions mixed into them:

========

Poisonous Maiden

When you attack another character, you may choose Psychic Combat. You may not do so when you are attacked by another character.

[JC's Note: this your text with some editing.]

When you attack another character in Battle, you may choose to use poison as well. Roll a die:

1-2) Miss, and you lose 1 Life.
2-3) Weakening Poison; your opponent suffers -1 Strength for the next 2 rounds.
4-5) Deadly Poison; your opponent loses another Life.

[JC's Note: this is how I might do it, though it takes more words.]

When you attack another character in Battle, you may choose to use your Poisoned Staff instead of any Weapon or any Armour . If you win, your opponent cannot use any Armour and you roll 1 die:

1) You slip and poison yourself; lose 1 life.
2-3) No effect.
4) your opponent suffers -1 Strength for the next 3 rounds.
5) your opponent loses 1 Life.
6) your opponent loses 2 Lives.

[JC's Note: this is your text with some editing.]

When you visit the Enchantress in the City, you may add 2 to your die roll.

[JC's Note: this is how I MIGHT do it, though it takes more words.]

When you visit the Enchantress in the City, after your first roll, you may choose to re-roll your die. If you re-roll, you must accept the second roll.

===========

Kensei

You begin the game with a Sword. Take one from the Purchase cards. You may not use any Armour while using any Special Ability.

When you attack another character in Battle, you may use an Invincible Strike . Resolve the Battle normally. If you win, your opponent loses 2 Lives.

[JC's Note: this is how I MIGHT do it, which includes details taken from historical tradition.]

When you attack another character in Battle with any Weapon labelled as a "Sword," you may make an Invincible Strike . Resolve the Battle normally. If you win, your opponent loses 2 Lives, and only 1 Life may be saved by Armour . If you lose, you lose 2 Lives.

If you lose in Battle, you may attempt a Parry by rolling a die. If you roll a 6, you did not lose a Life but still lost the Battle.

[JC's Note: the following is how I MIGHT do it, considering the Sword is being used beyond what rules allow.]

If you lose in Battle, you may attempt a Parry by rolling a die. If you roll a 6, you did not lose a Life but still lost the Battle. If you roll a 1, the Sword breaks and you must discard it.

===========

That is all I can offer. Do what you want to with it. I like that you try hard to make interesting characters without making them silly in having too many super powers. These are better than most home made characters I have seen in a while.

Hey ,
thanks for reply. I have taken some of your advices like the List of the Poisonous Maiden .
And of course i renamed the Kensei.
It's nice to hear that you like my work, the idea behind this is, that you can play with them in all expansions or just with the base game. Maybe some people find these are a little bit "boring" because they have no great Megapowers, but i like so much better.

By the way i translate now all of my created adventure-cards, but it's a lot of work.
Well here are two other characters, in my expansion there are 7 new Characters.

The first one is the Beast Master

beastmastervorderseite.jpg

The second one is the witch hunter, i don't know if he keeps some of his abilities, because they are based on Cards.

witchhuntervorderseite.jpg

Greetings

Hi again. I tried to do a reply yesterday, but the forum ate my post again. So, I'm back for another try.

DarkAmbient said:

Maybe some people find these are a little bit "boring" because they have no great Megapowers, but i like so much better.

Agreed. If some want to play a fantasy "super hero/villain" from the start, they can go find themselves a video game and a list of cheat codes.

DarkAmbient said:

By the way i translate now all of my created adventure-cards, but it's a lot of work.

Yes, I can only imagine... since I only speak one language (embarassing in our growing muli-lingual world). I have someone in Germany that I'm working with to translate one of my expansions.

Here are some comments back on the two new characters.

First off, you might change Beastmaster to something else. I'm not certain at all, but I believe another character was created with that title. Maybe it was just another homemade character, maybe not. Some notions come to mind base on his features. Feral Lord/Thane ("thane" means "lord" in most Gaelic tongues")? Forest Lord? Neither notion is really that good, as I can't think what other name would really work as good as Beastmaster.

============

Beastmaster

Enemy-Animals will not attack you, if you do not attack them.

You may try to lead an Enemy-Animal you encounter. If your Strength is greater than the animal's, it joins you as a Follower and adds its Strength to yours in Battle. You may have only one Enemy-Animal Follower at any time.

[ JC's option: You may try to dominate an Enemy-Animal you encounter. Roll as for Battle without Weapons . If you lose, you do not lose a Life. If you win, it becomes your Follower and adds its Strength to yours in Battle. If you lose a Battle in which it aids you, you may discard the animal instead of losing a Life. You may have only one Enemy-Animal Follower at any time.]

You need not roll a die in the Forest. If you choose to roll, you must accept the result.

[ JC' additional option: You may lose a turn to heal 1 Life when you are in the Forest.]

You may evade Enemies and other characters while you are in the Woods.

============

Witch Hunter

You do not lose a Life in the Graveyard.

[JC's additional option: You may never have or use Spells. If another character casts a spell at you or directly at your current space, it must first defeat you in Pyschic Combat. This does not include the Command Spell. No lives are lost, but If you win, the Spell has no effect and is discarded.]

You are unaffected by the Hag, Poltergeist, and Little Belinda. If you draw any of these cards, discard them immediately.

When you land on a space with another character, you may accuse it of witchcraft . The character must discard all spells.

[JC' option: When you land on a space with one or more other characters, you may accuse one of them of witchcraft . That character must discard all of its personal Spells and any held by its Followers. ]

If any player draws the Inquisition card, you gain 1 Fate.

Hey there again.
First of all, I didn't find a Character who was named as Beast master. I have looked on Talismanisland.com and didn't find him under the Official Site and not as a Homebrew Character. The only Thing i found was the Beastman in the 3rd Edition, but he has nothing in common with my character, so i keep him as Beast master.
So here are my last two characters. They are my "Problem-Kids" , I have very often changed their abilities. But now i find it's okay.

The first one is the Death Knight, he has the ability to dominate Ghosts, but then i created the Beast Master and both characters were too similar. So i make a new version of the Death Knight.

deathknightvorderseite.jpg

The second one is the Elementarist, she should have Abilities that based on the four Elements.

elementaristvorderseite.jpg

So that's all of my characters, i consider to post the next time some of my Arch Demons( the middle-piece of my Expansion.) But I'm not so happy in the moment with their Appearance, because i cannot make them with strange eons or Photoshop

DarkAmbient said:

I didn't find a Character who was named as Beast master.

Great! No problem then... and it wasn't a serious concern anyway. Here's my edits and options on the two new characters. Do whatever you like with them.

===============

Death Knight

You may heal all Lives in the Graveyard. If you do so, you cannot pray or replentish Fate in that same turn.

While in the Fields, you may scare away (dsicard) a Stranger that you draw or is already there.

When you attack another character in Battle, you may roll an extra die and choose one not to use. You may not do so when you are attacked .

[JC's note: better to make it an "extra die" rather than "two dice"; some spells, objects and cards allow rolling an extra die, and players would get confused if this card states only two dice. They might think they have to roll two and discard one instead of being allowed to roll three and discarding two under those conditions.]

You may ignore any change to your alignment; you are always Evil.

[JC's option: Just a little something extra if you like it.]

If you lose your last Life, you may still take your next turn. If you can reach the Graveyard and heal , you do not die.

============

Title Correction: Elementalist

You begin the game with one spell.

The power of Earth lets you enter the Crags without rolling. If you choose to roll, you must accept the result.

The power of Water lets you enter the Desert(s) without losing a Life.

The power of Fire lets you draw an extra spell when you draw a Fireball spell.

The power of Air lets you teleport. When you roll a 6 for movement in the Outer Region you may move to any Fields in that region.

Hey there again,
JC, I wanna thank for your Corrections, I have assumed the last two Characters 1:1, you were being a great help.

So now I want to present two of my Arch Demons. These are Enemies with high power, that cannot be drawn, only summoned. The Idea behind this is, that if you don't wanna slaughter the other Players all the Time, this could be a Challenge.

I have seen that you created Quest with a familiar Background (like the Dragons Terror).But am very inexperienced with Talisman Quest, so I make it that way

You can summon an Arch Demon by:
- losing all your Faith points
- being ignored 3 Times by your Prayer at the Church or Graveyard
- making a special Spell
- drawing a special Adventure Card

So here are two of them (in the ende, there a 10) , about the Problem to creating the Cards, i have written at the last message.

gottchaosenglisch.jpg

gottkrankheitenglisch.jpg

Greetings

HI D.A.

Sorry it has been a few days. Got caught up in some work and other projects and didn't have time for a lengthy posts.

Here's some English edits on the two demons so far. I am not completely sure how they are brought into the game.

DarkAmbient said:

I have seen that you created Quest with a familiar Background (like the Dragons Terror).But am very inexperienced with Talisman Quest, so I make it that way

My Talisman Tasks is mostly for hardcore old school players interested in the game's play and adventure more than the game's end. They are not as hard as they look once people read the "Forced March" rule packaged with those cards.

Barb and I played last night and I drew the Serpent Queen quest. I finished that quest in 6 turns, picking her up at the Castle and getting her to the city without getting jumped by the assassins coming after her even once. I took the alternative reward on the card, since it was early in the game and I didn't need a talisman. I got to pick 2 Purchase Cards at the City: the "Compass" (from my In the Balance expansion) and some Armour. Pissed my wife off horribly, because she had a quest half finished and wanted that Compass, but there is only 1. You get to roll an extra die for movement and discard one die not to use; I was off and running!

DarkAmbient said:

You can summon an Arch Demon by:
- losing all your Faith points
- being ignored 3 Times by your Prayer at the Church or Graveyard
- making a special Spell
- drawing a special Adventure Card

Hmmm... some of these look too easy or happenstance. Discard all Fate isn't tough enough, since some characters start with a Fate of 1. I might put the following costs on them

- Evil characters discard 1 Fate in the Graveyard;
- Good and Neutral discard 2 Fate in the Ruins;
- Any character anywhere else discards 2 Spells and 1 Fate.

And now, here are my edits.

==========

Chaos

While this arch demon is present in the Land, all Spells are discarded and no new Spells can be drawn. The only Spell that still works is the Command Spell.

Each time Chaos is encountered, roll two dices for its current Strength and then its current Craft.

If you defeat Chaos, you choose to gain 1 Strength, Craft, Life, Fate, or Spell.

===========

Kahli

While this arch demon is present in the Land, no character can heal or gain Lives by any means, either from board spaces or cards.

If you defeat Kahli, you choose to gain 1 Strength, Craft, Life, Fate, or Spell.

==========

NOTE: The average Strength and Craft roll for Chaos is only 7 and most rolls will be between 5 and 9 with a chance of some real low ones. If he rolls a low Strength he will likely be killed off very easily. I think that's a bit low, even for a "chaotic" monster. I would suggest changing "roll two dice" to something like "roll a die +6". That would give him a range of 6 - 12, making him somewhat tough even on a low roll.