Glory Seeker/False Grail

By Canadianized, in Talisman Rules Questions

Glory Seeker: Str 3, "If you are defeated, in addition to losing 1 life, you must discard all your quests. If you defeat the Glory Seeker, you may accept 1 Warlock's Quest. He will remain here until he is killed."

False Grail: "You must take the Grail and discard all of your quests until you rid yourself of the Grail by visiting the Castle. You may then discard it."

What I want to know is, for the sake of the Warlock Quests Alternate Ending (essentially, first person to reach CoC with 4 completed quests wins), will these cards take away all your quests, completed and not? Usually completed quests are removed from the game, but this endgame states "Whenever a character completes a Warlock Quest, it is not removed from the game. instead, the card is kept in the character's play area facedown." I saw this and ruled that they do make you discard all quests, completed and not, because they remain in your play area.

I was playing with my wife on this one, and she had completed 9 (!) quests, and picked up the False Grail on the way to the Portal of Power, and with the ruling I saw, she was robbed of the victory condition and had to start over. I want to make sure I made the right call on this one, because that was painful!

I think that's the point of them. With 9 completed Quests, didn't she have stats to head for the finish?

Yeah, easily. At the start of the game, she drew the quest "Kill One Spirit," which was her 7th quest to complete. The last two were forced upon her via spells, so FINALLY having no quests left to complete, on the way to open the Portal (She landed on the Hidden Valley), she picked up the False Grail. THe rules for Frostmarch state "Alternative Ending cards replace the base game's victory conditions, offering players new ways to win the game. When using Alternative Ending Cards, characters on the CoC must encounter the Alternative Ending Card and follow the rules printed on the card - they cannot cast the Command Spell or encounter other characters on the CoC unless the Alternative Ending Card specifically states otherwise."

In other words, even though she had the stats to reach CoC, it wouldn't matter, she couldn't win, without having 4 completed quests with the Warlock Quest ending out.

Dam said:

I think that's the point of them. With 9 completed Quests, didn't she have stats to head for the finish?

She was exactly doing that, but fate (?) has been harsh on her. I don't have the expansion yet, but I'm sure that such cards (especially the Grail) have been intended as "game equalizers" when you're playing with Warlock Quests Alternate Ending. It' more or less what Hag, Random and 2nd Edition Raiders do for the basic game.

Spells giving other characters Warlock's Quests sound nice. One minute you're sitting at 4 completed Quests, next, you have a new one to do before you can finish demonio.gif .

Path of Destiny: "Cast on any character that does not have a quest at the start of his turn. That character must draw and accept a Warlock Quest Card."

For the sake of actually being able to cast that spell, with the Warlock Quest ending out, We took it as a character that didn't have an uncompleted quest.

Canadianized said:

Glory Seeker: Str 3, "If you are defeated, in addition to losing 1 life, you must discard all your quests. If you defeat the Glory Seeker, you may accept 1 Warlock's Quest. He will remain here until he is killed."

False Grail: "You must take the Grail and discard all of your quests until you rid yourself of the Grail by visiting the Castle. You may then discard it."

What I want to know is, for the sake of the Warlock Quests Alternate Ending (essentially, first person to reach CoC with 4 completed quests wins), will these cards take away all your quests, completed and not? Usually completed quests are removed from the game, but this endgame states "Whenever a character completes a Warlock Quest, it is not removed from the game. instead, the card is kept in the character's play area facedown." I saw this and ruled that they do make you discard all quests, completed and not, because they remain in your play area.

I was playing with my wife on this one, and she had completed 9 (!) quests, and picked up the False Grail on the way to the Portal of Power, and with the ruling I saw, she was robbed of the victory condition and had to start over. I want to make sure I made the right call on this one, because that was painful!

Yes, you play it right.

With the False Grail, you must discard all your quests ( also completed ones)

Bad luck i gues gui%C3%B1o.gif

Don't forget, that you can't open the Portal of Power if you have a unfinish quest gui%C3%B1o.gif

Canadianized said:

Path of Destiny: "Cast on any character that does not have a quest at the start of his turn. That character must draw and accept a Warlock Quest Card."

For the sake of actually being able to cast that spell, with the Warlock Quest ending out, We took it as a character that didn't have an uncompleted quest.

Very nasty spell then. demonio.gif

If someone is almost ready to go to the inner region, you can give him a warlock card, that prevents him to enter the inner region haha gran_risa.gif

But it's indeed difficult to cast, if you have it at the beginning of the game, and you play with the warlock ending card..

Then you are stuck with it.. bad luck..

Velhart said:

But it's indeed difficult to cast, if you have it at the beginning of the game, and you play with the warlock ending card..

I would call it a major bug, not bad luck. sorpresa.gif It's absurd that you can't cast a Spell for a big part of the game because of the general rules!

What would we have thought if they had added some text in a basic game Spell that prevents you from casting till a Character has reached the Inner Region? What will the player do, just complain for his bad luck or blame game designers for their mistake?

I think this Path of Destiny Spell needs to be fixed ASAP. Just remove the part "that does not have a Quest at the start of his Turn". When I receive my Frostmarch I won't use this Spell as it is written. preocupado.gif

To me it makes sense except for when the Warlock Quest ending is in effect (which is a 1 in 3 chance right now with the new endings sad.gif ). It reminds you in the rules for Frostmarch: "All other rules governing Warlock Quests continue to apply when Warlock Quest Cards are used: only one quest can be accepted at a time," etc. Because only one quest can be taken at a time (usually), the spell's wording makes sense. I find that the Warlock Quest ending just provides too many problems with other rules and cards.

The_Warlock said:

Velhart said:

I would call it a major bug, not bad luck. sorpresa.gif It's absurd that you can't cast a Spell for a big part of the game because of the general rules!

What would we have thought if they had added some text in a basic game Spell that prevents you from casting till a Character has reached the Inner Region? What will the player do, just complain for his bad luck or blame game designers for their mistake?

I think this Path of Destiny Spell needs to be fixed ASAP. Just remove the part "that does not have a Quest at the start of his Turn". When I receive my Frostmarch I won't use this Spell as it is written. preocupado.gif

Well, if someone has easy warlock cards, then it is possible that they finish it soon, and they don't know that the other player has the path of destiny spell, that gives him a extra warlock card..

But if you increase your craft, then you can take 2 extra spells with you, so keep it for that one moment..

AND.. you can also cast it on yourself..

If you have difficult quests yourself, then you can try to take a extra warlock card, so that you can try to finish 4 quests as soon as possible, and then run through the dungeon and try to land on the ending space by defeating the dark lord..

But it;'s not a easy spell to get rid of it, if you have the warlock ending card

Velhart said:

But if you increase your craft, then you can take 2 extra spells with you, so keep it for that one moment..

If you have difficult quests yourself, then you can try to take a extra warlock card, so that you can try to finish 4 quests as soon as possible, and then run through the dungeon and try to land on the ending space by defeating the dark lord..

But it;'s not a easy spell to get rid of it, if you have the warlock ending card

Basically you're forced to have a Spell you can't cast until somebody has finished his 4 quests, which can be too late to do anything, or you need to cast it on yourself and take the risk to receive a quest that's difficult to complete. It's not very funny, but it keeps you moving. What if you're playing without the Dungeon and have no other way to pass into the Inner Region than Portal of Power?

You may leave it as it is, but it isn't the best of Spells.

The_Warlock said:

Velhart said:

Basically you're forced to have a Spell you can't cast until somebody has finished his 4 quests, which can be too late to do anything, or you need to cast it on yourself and take the risk to receive a quest that's difficult to complete. It's not very funny, but it keeps you moving. What if you're playing without the Dungeon and have no other way to pass into the Inner Region than Portal of Power?

You may leave it as it is, but it isn't the best of Spells.

That's true..

Without Dungeon, people have a big problem..

But there are also adventure cards, like magical vortex, that discard all your spells ( then you are lucky) or nullify spell..