Energize/Brainwave

By Canadianized, in Talisman Rules Questions

Energize says: "Cast on yourself at any time. Your Strength value is doubled until the end of the turn."

Brainwave says: "Cast on yourself at any time. Your Craft value is doubled until the end of the turn."

There are 2 of each spell in the spell deck, and as it happened, I was playing the Warlock and managed to get both Energizes. I came across a losing battle for me, and so I cast both in succession. (Warlock starts as a Str: 2 Crft:5) The way I saw it, the first Energize doubled my strength to 4. The second one doubled it again to a Str. value of 8, allowing me to easily win the battle. I want to make sure I played this right. If I did, my group very quickly realized the potential to have both Brainwaves + Psionic Blast (Add your craft value to your strength in battle)!

Probably no on the double-casting the same Spell the same turn, would seem to fall under duplication.

"Duplication"? Is there a rule I've been missing somewhere?

Canadianized said:

"Duplication"? Is there a rule I've been missing somewhere?

It's not a rule, it's a (still unofficial) clarification given on this forum. When we finally get the FAQ for Talisman shortly after the release of Frostmarch (keep looking on these pages), I hope there will be the final word on this issue. And I hope they will cancel this confused rule about "cards with the same text don't stack their effects", because is neither clear nor useful.

Canadianized said:

Energize says: "Cast on yourself at any time. Your Strength value is doubled until the end of the turn."

Brainwave says: "Cast on yourself at any time. Your Craft value is doubled until the end of the turn."

There are 2 of each spell in the spell deck, and as it happened, I was playing the Warlock and managed to get both Energizes. I came across a losing battle for me, and so I cast both in succession. (Warlock starts as a Str: 2 Crft:5) The way I saw it, the first Energize doubled my strength to 4. The second one doubled it again to a Str. value of 8, allowing me to easily win the battle. I want to make sure I played this right. If I did, my group very quickly realized the potential to have both Brainwaves + Psionic Blast (Add your craft value to your strength in battle)!

Using 2x energize in the same turn, can not work.

You can't duplicate the same effects.

Same for 2x Brainwave/

BUT it should be possible to use psionic blast+ Brainwave because they have both a different text.

That would mean..Wizard with strength 2 and 5 Craft ( using brainwave =10 craft + psionic blast= strength 12 in battle !

Nice combo gran_risa.gif

Hello guys! We still need an official clarification about Double-casting spells like Energize.
-Can you cast the same spell twice in a combat?

And, i've another issue here:
Rules for combat says that during a combat/battle/psychic (...) you can cast spells that modifiy Craft or Strength only before the roll.
Energize says that you can cast it "any time" . Given this,
-can you cast Energize after the roll?

Have a nice weekend! :)

costolaz said:

Hello guys! We still need an official clarification about Double-casting spells like Energize.
-Can you cast the same spell twice in a combat?

Don't think there's anything preventing that.

costolaz said:

And, i've another issue here:
Rules for combat says that during a combat/battle/psychic (...) you can cast spells that modifiy Craft or Strength only before the roll.
Energize says that you can cast it "any time" . Given this,
-can you cast Energize after the roll?

All Spells that affect the combat have to be cast during that Step of the combat sequence. "Any time" means you could cast it at the start of your turn, after landing in a space, but before entering a space, after drawing an encounter that checks for Strength/Craft (non-combat), etc. Forbidding (only before the roll) effect overrides other abilities and effects.