Series 3 Planes bigger?

By dorb2, in Wings of War (WWI)

Anyone else seem to think the Series3 planes are a little bigger? I really want to like the Albatros D.III but just seems to big. I think it may be the landing gear that seems larger than it should. Wondered if anyone else thinks this or am I just crazy?

Well, you are right. Compared to my Skytrex Albatross DII and DIII have the Wow albatross slightly longer nose, maybe 2 or 3 mm.

Also with a look on the Blueprint can you see that it does make the shape a little off. This is however not that much.

If it disturbes you I can reccomend Revirescos Albatross instead but it is really a minor thing, I never actually saw it myself until you pointed it out.

I just got a bunch of planes from Reviresco, they are actually very good, with better details than both Red eagle and the Wow miniatures. More work to assemble and no decals unless you buy them separate, but they do look great (well, I got them a few hours ago so I havn't actually assembled any of them, but they look great from what I can see:).

There is also the SRAM resin kits, I have ordered a few including a Caparoni bomber and a Albatross CXX from them. It is however a long time to deliver them, once I got them too I will make a thread comparing the planes. I fear that the Caparoni will be a nightmare to assemble but I need a heavier allied bomber than the Breuget for some of my scenarios.

The other series 3 planes look OK as far as I can tell, so I'd assume the D3 is too. I've got a couple of Red Eagle Nieuport 17s and they are practically identical in size to the WAW series 3 ones I have. Compared to the Red Eagle Albatros D3, the WAW model's wings are the same size but the body is fatter. The Red Eagle version's body just looks like a less-streamlined D5, which I think is incorrect. I think you might be right that it's the bulkier landing gear that gives the impression that the model is oversized.

IRM said:

The other series 3 planes look OK as far as I can tell, so I'd assume the D3 is too. I've got a couple of Red Eagle Nieuport 17s and they are practically identical in size to the WAW series 3 ones I have. Compared to the Red Eagle Albatros D3, the WAW model's wings are the same size but the body is fatter. The Red Eagle version's body just looks like a less-streamlined D5, which I think is incorrect. I think you might be right that it's the bulkier landing gear that gives the impression that the model is oversized.

Well, the nose do look a little wrong to me compared with pictures but just a little. They are made for minature gaming however and are not exact models, if you want a 100% right model there are some resin kits made for modelers instead of gamers but they are really expensive and hard to assemble. I have ordered some and are waiting for them but not because I dislike the Wow planes, but because they have some rarer planes I want, like the Albatross CX, Caparoni Ca33 and Fokker DVI.

The landing gear is bulkier but that is just of practical reasons, making it in plastic forces you to make a compromise between durability and looks. I think they made the right decision here, it could snap if it closer to the original.

I just did get my models from Reviresco, and they are actually more detailed and looks more correct than the Red eagle and Wow planes. They are also somewhat harder to assemble but I am getting pretty good at it now. Too bad that the decals are not included in the price for them. Still they are a good alternative for anyone that thinks the Wow albatrosses looks a bit off. The red eagle however are not as good looking as the Wow planes and needs a lot of work to look just right.

The Wow Nieuport 17 is another matter, it looks really good and close to the original even if the landing gear is somewhat larger on it too.

After looking at them again side-by-side and face-to-face, I believe its the landing gear. Which for some reason it looks fine on the Albatros D.Va but too big on the series 3 for some reason. I have not bought any 3rd party planes, everything I have is WoW just not sure why some of the series 3 are bigger.

Guess not really a issue, just an observation.