Your opinion about rights, new edition and all

By Hemux, in Battlelore

Hi all,

This game is definitely on my wishlist ; thing is, I think I read somewhere FFG bought the rights from Days of Wonder (a company Im not interested in). Is that correct ? A bit like tannhauser, then, if it is true. Furthermore, there are many expansions to buy with the original game (I don't know how many, by the way, is it a bit like arkham, six of them ? or more ? is it, kind of, collectible ****, sorry, collectible stuff ?) because im a collector, plus I read everybody thought the exps brought great improvement to the base game, so I wanted them all too, but if there is a second edition "pure FFG" style, that is launched like, in a year, I'd be sad to have bought everything in the current edition.

Here amongst the battlelore fans, has anybody more news ? Good opinions about it ? That could reassure me, or convince me to buy now, or something else ? Cheers everyone.

FFG owns the rights to Battlelore and they are continuing to develop the game. They are planning to reprint the bases game ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp ), not release a 2nd edition. I don't know if it will be an exact reprint of the DoW version.l I would actually like to see it in a bigger box that could hold all of the expansions. The C&C system is pretty well tested and it works well in Battlelore. Battlelore doesn't seem broken and there are not a lot of errata for the game. The great thing about Battlelore is that any changes can be made by adding new cards, as was done with the Sling and Cattle Riders. Therefore, I don't think we will ever need a 2nd edition. So, all 10 expansions are still useful. While many of the expansions are out of print, they are all still available if you look hard enough. The most collectible aspect of the game are the first creature promos, the Hill Giant and the Earth Elemental.

Buy a used copy of the game. Try it. If you don't like it, sell it.

I would be very surprised if FFG made any rules or box content changes for the 2nd Edition reprint of the base game. I do expect changes to packaging given their treatment of the Heroes expansion. FFG opted for a plastic "bin" design to hold the miniatures as opposed to DoW's individual "form fit" trays. This change doesn't really bother me at all. So long as FFG keeps up the quality of the components, I don't mind if they put the game in a paper bag...well, okay, I would have a problem with that. Otherwise, as has been pointed out elsewhere on the forums, the quality of the components in the Heroes expansion is at least as good as DoW's releases.

I think the situation with FFG's treatment of Battlelore is distinguishable from Tannhauser. I haven't played Tannhauser but the BGG forums are full of complaints about some aspects of the game mechanics. Overall, the game sounds great (and is on my Christmas list) but I think FFG correctly feels they have an obligation to revise the rules with a 2nd Edition release. On the other hand, Battlelore's game mechanics are sound. The command and colors system was developed/tweaked with Memoir 44 and, in my opinion, perfected with Battlelore. So, if it ain't broke, there's no reason to fix it.

Got to agree with the above. When FFG do get round to reprinting BL, I really can't see them making any major changes. The game is already balanced and running like a dream. But the real reason for believing this is that it would be daft for them to release Heroes, Dragons & Monsters only to then release a shiny new, altered 2nd edition. Mr. Borg seems to already have a gazillion ideas he wants to share with us Battlelore loyalists, so why waste time with fixing what ain't broke? :)

Men, I hear you all. A plain sensible talk indeed. I'll get my copy soon then :)

Hem said:

Men, I hear you all. A plain sensible talk indeed. I'll get my copy soon then :)

Welcome!

Richard Borg

....holly sweet cheesy-pancake rotting under a toadskin-sofa on a winter rainy afternoon !!!

Mister Borg himself ! Well, how do you expect me NOT to buy this game after THAT ?!

To arms !! My whole kingdom for a copy of this game, and quick ! To hell with the second edition ! I want it NOW !

(will have to find a FFG copy of it, though, which might prove itself hard to be done in this frenchy french country of mine where Days of Wonder copies only are everywhere to be found...)

There are now FFG copies of the Base Set yet. They will all be labeled DOW as FFG has not reprinted it but are running on stock they purchased from DOW.

That should read there are NO FFG copies of Battlelore yet, they will all have DOW packaging still as FFG has not reprinted it.

.......aaaarrrggg !!!

Hem said:

....holly sweet cheesy-pancake rotting under a toadskin-sofa on a winter rainy afternoon !!!

Mister Borg himself ! Well, how do you expect me NOT to buy this game after THAT ?!

To arms !! My whole kingdom for a copy of this game, and quick ! To hell with the second edition ! I want it NOW !

(will have to find a FFG copy of it, though, which might prove itself hard to be done in this frenchy french country of mine where Days of Wonder copies only are everywhere to be found...)

Yes Richard does lurk here in the forums and answer questions from time to time.

As for if there is a FFG reprint of Battlelore, the only things that might be changed, if anything might be the additional card holders (1st edition of Dow had 8, 2nd had 6) and probably how the figures are held in place, if at all.

But those are just my opinions and have no basis for that.

Cab