Pre-constructed andventure or not?

By xe3r, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

This will be my second gming and in the first one I used the illumination adventure..I am not very good in using this type of adventures but I don't know how much experience i need to create one of my own..What do you suggest?

xe3r said:

This will be my second gming and in the first one I used the illumination adventure..I am not very good in using this type of adventures but I don't know how much experience i need to create one of my own..What do you suggest?

IMHO the book-written scenarios offer alot of flexability so a GM can still be a GM, not simply a narrator. In addition, if you are new to the roll of GM, running every book written scenario in chronological order is a great way to get started off. Illumination> the three in Purge the Unclean> The House of Dust and Ash> Tattered Fates> the unreleased two of the Harlock Legacy. After completeing them in that order do you as the GM understand your players, and the players understand you, and from there the game can be fun using elements from Creatures Anathema and Decipels of the Dark Gods.

The Edge of Darkness is good, though you need to read it thoroughly and be very familiar with it. The Purge the Unclean trilogy suck. House of Dust and Ash + Tattered Fates look ok.

The problem is that i have a problem translating it in my language,thus I cannot do a good narration..

In my experience, if your native language isn't english, don't run the game straight out of the book. Write it down like you were designing your own adventure.

That way, you will already have translated everything in your own head and have an easier time narrating the story. You will already have thought about names, story hooks etc., in your own language.

Works for me, anyway. :)

I started to use the english "Rejoice for your are true" last weekend while my native language is german. My advice for using "foreign material"

- make translations (or near-translation) from every "read/paraphrase" text. You cannot make them up or translate them on the fly
without loosing atmosphere
- make a "map" in your own language about "what happens next"

Besides (out of curiousitiy), what is your native tongue?

I've only run one pre-constructed game (Illumination), and I re-wrote substantial bits of it. Ironically, I chose to run it because I was having a busy time at work and didn't really have the spare time to write for my game, but I think I ended up doing pretty much the same amount of work as always. llorando.gif