Oad on the Crown of Command

By Daemon22, in Talisman Rules Questions

I i cast a random spell on the player that is on the crown of command and he roll 1 and became to a Toad, Can he still cast the command spell?

Becase a Tode cannot cast any spells.

Daemon22 said:

I i cast a random spell on the player that is on the crown of command and he roll 1 and became to a Toad, Can he still cast the command spell?

Becase a Tode cannot cast any spells.

Well, Crown of Command is not the same as a spell, but If you become a Toad, then you can also not use the Command spell.

This happened yesterday to my group!

Wizard was on CoC and had already defeated the Prophetess when she also arrived on CoC to challenge.

Next to reach the CoC was the Assassin. The Assassin and the Wizard were slugging it out. The Assassin was doing allright, but the Wizard was getting the best of him, and it was clear that the Assassin would not win in the long run.

From out of nowhere the Minstrel casts Random on the Wizard - hoping to even the fight out long enough for him to reach the CoC also.

The Wizard rolls for the Random effect and lost all of his Strength - giving the Assassin a much easier time in Battle against him. So the Wizard decided that was no good and opted to spend Fate to re-roll.

POW! Toadified! partido_risa.gif

The Assassin stomps the toad to death and then finally manages to finish off the Minstrel before he can reach the CoC.

katana_one said:

The Wizard rolls for the Random effect and lost all of his Strength - giving the Assassin a much easier time in Battle against him. So the Wizard decided that was no good and opted to spend Fate to re-roll.

POW! Toadified! partido_risa.gif

The Assassin stomps the toad to death and then finally manages to finish off the Minstrel before he can reach the CoC.

Not knowing the stats involved (Str, Craft, Lives left), but I would've probably taken the Strength loss, hoping to cycle more Spells (Healing maybe) and just wailed on the Assassin in psychic combat on my turn (generally assumable that Wizard will win that, Assassin will win battle).

Both were down to only 1 or 2 life, with the Wizard having a 1 life lead, iirc. Wizard had enough Craft to auto-win when attacking the Assassin in Psychic combat, but was down to only a single useless spell (don't remember which) and therefore couldn't cycle. However, the Wizard's Strength was high enough that the Assassin could not auto-win when the Assassin attacked. Losing all of his Strength tokens I think was enough to give the Assassin an auto-win in Battle (he lost 5 or 6 Strength).

He realized in hind-sight that he made a mistake in re-rolling the spell's results. It was only his 2nd game ever.

Didn't make it any less funny.

katana_one said:

He realized in hind-sight that he made a mistake in re-rolling the spell's results. It was only his 2nd game ever.

Didn't make it any less funny.

Hopefully he'll live and learn.

And Toadings are never less funny partido_risa.gif !

Dam said:

Hopefully he'll live and learn.

To his credit, he's a pretty smart guy - he plays in my D&D game so I know he can crunch numbers on the fly. Also, I don't have a perfect recall of how the final battle went down. After thinking about it more, I remember that they were rolling the Psychic combat, so it wasn't an auto-win for the Wizard, just a very likely win each turn (vice-versa for the Assassin and Battle). But when he was faced with losing his Strength and giving the Assassin the auto-win on Battle, he might have panicked, since he only had a 1 life lead and didn't have the comfort of an auto-win on his next turn.

In the end, everyone had a blast, so that's all that mattered. gran_risa.gif