Old player, thinking of heading back, had a few questions.

By rockman2, in UFS General Discussion

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a few years, and haven't played since before the new rules had been introduced. I'm thinking of getting back in since a friend of mine has shown interest in the game, and I'd like to show it to him.

My questions are as follows:

1.) What's the earliest set available that is fully compatible with the new rules?

2.) If I were to use a legacy deck against a new block deck, how well would each fair? Are the addition of so many block value cards and lowering of Control numbers a big advantage to new block players?

Thanks in advance!

~Rockman

The oldest of the new sets are Soul Calibur IV (Tower of Souls) and ShadoWar.

Legacy as a whole is way stronger than the current block. The game is very much like the original block was. Not many great blocks, neutered stats overall (there are no 6 check foundations), many cards without blocks.

That may sound negative, but it's actually good, it brings the game back to actually having costs for abilities and a balance between offense and defense. The new keyword (combo) is a fun and encourages attacking.

While there are strong cards available (Path of the Master), the overall power range is lower than Legacy (especially compared to Block 3).

Welcome back, by the way. happy.gif

Thanks for the quick reply! =)

That clears a few things up, but leads me to a couple more questions.

1.) Street Fighter or DarkStalkers... are either of these considered useable? Or do they fit into the original blocks? I had intended to get a DarkStalkers deck going and Street Fighter is always welcome in my decks, but I don't want to waste my money if these just don't work with the new rules.

2.) I saw some Tekken 6 stuff... Are there starters? Or do you build them simply out of boosters? If so, which characters are available so I can plan accordingly. =)

Thanks again, and I apologize for having so many questions. =)

~Rockman

1) If it makes things easier, anything with a 5-pointed Shuriken is legal in the current block. Anything else is part of Legacy.
2) Tekken has no starters and is a 99-card set. There have been 4 Tekken promo characters and 5 characters within the set. The characters (and how they play) include:

PROMOs:

Jin Kazama - CC bump and damage pump. One of the most comfortable and aggressive characters in the game.
Bryan Fury - Balls-out damage pump.
Heihachi Mishima - Themed damage pump. Most recently placed 2nd at a large event.
Steve Fox - Punch-themed speed pump and damage redux.

Pack Characters:

Christie Monteiro - Kick-themed speed pump and card draw. Has a unique loop.
Kazuya Mishima - Can destroy all non-character cards at once. Character-themed aggro.
King - Tutors and plays Throws for cheap or free. Arguably the best character in the game (I don't think so, personally)
Nina Williams - Removes threats before they see play, rigs opponent's checks.
Paul Phoenix - Stun-themed aggro, damage pumps.

If you want to get into this game for cheap, your best bet is to buy the newest Fight Life kit. For 50 bucks plus shipping, you get:

-1 Box ShadoWar
-1 Box Soul Calibur IV
-2 of the following promos: Heir to the Storm, The Devil Within, Clash of the Ages, and Power of the Edge

Having said that, the following cards have been re-printed and are playable for the new game:

-Cursed Blood
-Close Throw
-Martial Arts Champion
-Mark of the Beast
-Power of the Edge

Rockman said:

Thanks for the quick reply! =)

That clears a few things up, but leads me to a couple more questions.

1.) Street Fighter or DarkStalkers... are either of these considered useable? Or do they fit into the original blocks? I had intended to get a DarkStalkers deck going and Street Fighter is always welcome in my decks, but I don't want to waste my money if these just don't work with the new rules.

2.) I saw some Tekken 6 stuff... Are there starters? Or do you build them simply out of boosters? If so, which characters are available so I can plan accordingly. =)

Thanks again, and I apologize for having so many questions. =)

~Rockman

Questions are cool we all love seeing new players or old players showing intrest again things are finally looking up for the game and i think its going to take off again

That being said....there are no street fighter or darkstalkers sets legal right now but everything(minus banned cards) are legal in legacy so you can always play whatever you want but as for standard you are limited to:

Soul Caliber IV- the base set and the upcoming set at the end of november
Shadowar- A New License made by FFG some really cool Characters and idea also part of the base set
Tekken 6- The newest game license and newest set printed

The rules have been updated some you might want to look them over again just to get familiar but all the old cards still work along with them as they havent changed that drastically

MarcoPulleaux said:

You lie.

She has a loop that everyone can have access to so long as they share one symbol with her cards and a particular promo card.

Homme Chapeau said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

You lie.

She has a loop that everyone can have access to so long as they share one symbol with her cards and a particular promo card.

I don't mention cards I feel will be banned

Also not cards newbies will ever have access to.

MarcoPulleaux said:

I don't mention cards I feel will be banned

It's not banned yet. Not mentioning that possibility is a disservice.