A product I would buy if you sold (Enclosed!)

By Leafwhistle, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Dear FFG,

You want to sell us more, and we want to buy more. Unfortunately, recent events indicate that we aren’t on the same page here. Here’s my modest and succinct “Typed up on a coffee break” proposal. I call it:

Epilogue : Final pages of the Necronomicon

Unless I’m mistaken, we’re done making big updates to Arkham, yah? Well, one of the bigger concerns players have had is dilution. The King in Yellow scares us not, for we will never see all three acts. Make a deal with the Man In Black, because he sure won’t come calling. Creatures from Dunwhich move toward their portals at a far slower rate. And who among us truly fears drawing the “Fight Cthlulhulhulhu” card from the Other World Encounters anymore?

So, I want a booster box of cards that, when shuffled into the complete set, restore the ratios of the various dangerous and good fortunes back to the developers’ original intent. More “The Play Continues” cards, Dunwhich moving cards, and so on and so forth. Heck, since this intended only for owners of the complete set, introduce cards that reference Innsmouth on their top half and Kingsport on their bottom. What a new and exciting twist it would be for two mini-maps to be relevant on the same turn!

By doing this, you remove the necessity of house rules, without the fun of them. Players will be able to experience the entirety the Arkham Adventure every game.

And while you’re at it, package the whole thing with a collection of the Guardians, Heralds, Investigators, and other goodies that were previously only downloadable online. I’m talking Dark Pharaoh Heralds, Tycho Brae, and even AnnArchy.

Need another kicker? Print out the fiction you’ve posted on the website, put it on fancy paper, and start whispering in our ears that “extra chapters” are enclosed in this booklet. No “true” fan could resist that.

You wanted to appeal to the hardcore with your miniature set? Well, I’m promoting a way to do that, continue to sell the product, and wouldn’t involve much more development time than leaning over the designers’ collective shoulder and asking them how often they want each card drawn.
I am but a humble Leafwhistle, so excited for Arkham, I am asking to give you more of my money.

… And now, I humbly present feedback from the community.

Leafwhistle said:

Dear FFG,

You want to sell us more, and we want to buy more. Unfortunately, recent events indicate that we aren’t on the same page here. Here’s my modest and succinct “Typed up on a coffee break” proposal. I call it:

Epilogue : Final pages of the Necronomicon

Unless I’m mistaken, we’re done making big updates to Arkham, yah? Well, one of the bigger concerns players have had is dilution. The King in Yellow scares us not, for we will never see all three acts. Make a deal with the Man In Black, because he sure won’t come calling. Creatures from Dunwhich move toward their portals at a far slower rate. And who among us truly fears drawing the “Fight Cthlulhulhulhu” card from the Other World Encounters anymore?

So, I want a booster box of cards that, when shuffled into the complete set, restore the ratios of the various dangerous and good fortunes back to the developers’ original intent. More “The Play Continues” cards, Dunwhich moving cards, and so on and so forth. Heck, since this intended only for owners of the complete set, introduce cards that reference Innsmouth on their top half and Kingsport on their bottom. What a new and exciting twist it would be for two mini-maps to be relevant on the same turn!

By doing this, you remove the necessity of house rules, without the fun of them. Players will be able to experience the entirety the Arkham Adventure every game.

And while you’re at it, package the whole thing with a collection of the Guardians, Heralds, Investigators, and other goodies that were previously only downloadable online. I’m talking Dark Pharaoh Heralds, Tycho Brae, and even AnnArchy.

Need another kicker? Print out the fiction you’ve posted on the website, put it on fancy paper, and start whispering in our ears that “extra chapters” are enclosed in this booklet. No “true” fan could resist that.

You wanted to appeal to the hardcore with your miniature set? Well, I’m promoting a way to do that, continue to sell the product, and wouldn’t involve much more development time than leaning over the designers’ collective shoulder and asking them how often they want each card drawn.
I am but a humble Leafwhistle, so excited for Arkham, I am asking to give you more of my money.

… And now, I humbly present feedback from the community.

Hmmm... I'd *love* an anti-dilution set and more heralds, ancient ones, investigators (and lets not forget monsters) but, I have to wonder how many gamers have actually bought every piece of Arkham gaming merchandise (as opposed to accessories).

Maybe it can come with a guide stating "If you have X many cards in your deck, shuffle in X many of these booster cards"? That would help it scale.

Leafwhistle said:

But... how would that help? With all the extra boards, you have many more unstable locations, so each of them is going to have less happening at it. If you're using all four boards and you want as many things to happen in Dunwich as would happen if you were only using base+Dunwich, you're going to have to either

a) increase the total amount of stuff that's happening each turn, so two gates and/or extra monsters, or

b) introduce some sort of new Mythos card effect which changes depending on the level of activity on each board.

And (in the latter case) no-one has come up with what that is yet. Plus, of course, it'd be a new rule, so there'd need to be a rulebook.... I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that it's not an easy task.

FYI: I consider myself a fairly serious fan of this game, but I still wouldn't really want to pay money for the fiction extracts or the Penny Arcade investigators or any of the other silly tat that has appeared on the website. :)

My 2c: Id pay for a printed complete FAQ, new PS's, sinister plots, epic battles, dunwich, kingsport and innsmouth encounters amd mythos gate openers, extra next act cards, new guardians, madness and injury, HPL as an ally and always new AOs and investigators.