Sleeves for Character Cards and similar

By JCHendee, in Talisman

Finding sleeves for 5x4 cards is almost impossible. But I may have stumbled onto an alternative....

afv--35112--16481_product_1892102383_thu

They are slightly larger than a character card, but the closest I could find; one could slip a Character sized card (or Endgame card) into one of these, probably trimming excess BEFORE doing so. Perhaps there are other worldwide outlets for these sleeves sold by Artfire . In the meantime, I'm still searching for good alternatives if not an exact fit.

Some additional possibilities... side loading photo sleeves at 4x6 or 5x7 (1/4" tolerance space all around, good or bad, depending on preference). Again, either could be trimmed down. Still haven't found something with at least one dimension exact (no tolerance space).

www.pfile.com/product/par-f-pp

Hey JC, that's a great find.

They have a 4x5 option which looks really useful!

http://www.pfile.com/product/f-pp45/4x5-Polaroid-Photo-Storage

I just cut down a piece of paper as I couldn't quite imagine the size involved, but I think the ones with 1/4" tolerance will be just the job.

character_pocket.jpg

Nice, although the outside dimensions list at 4-1/4" x 5-5/16", so only about 1/8" on each side - so much the better. Fingers crossed, as eventually I may try some to save me some hassle in gluing fronts and backs for character - and endgame - cards.

Wait a sec... it says holds "two" 4x5 photos. I wonder if that's front and back... or side by side / top and bottom for something around an 8.5 x 11 protector? It's hard to tell, so what do you think? I'm inclined to thinks so, since it mentions use for "documents" now that I read more closely.

And whoa! Cheapest S&H comes out at $7.95 for a $5.95 product. Can't imagine what they'd charge for non-USA. That's a bit stiff.

Some comparison shopping is in order. Here's another one, though there's no picture of the product.

http://www.clearbags.com/crystal-clear-bags/no-flap-bags/4-x-5-1-8-no-flap-crystal-clear-102x130.html

And here's one that looks dead on for what we need, though it's a little more pricey and it's a wrap around that's open on both shorter ends.

http://www.printfile.com/4x5standardphotosleeve.aspx

Okay. I just had a live chat with a nice lady from Clearbags and am more or less convinced that those would be ideal.

She told me that the Clearbags site is the wholesale side of the business, and that Clearenvelopes is the retail side - http://www.clearenvelopes.com/catalog/product/view/id/506

You can use the wholesale site, but they have a minimum order of $40

Unfortunately, the prices on the second site and not the same as the other and package sizes are smaller, though prices do reduce the more you order.

HOWEVER - when I put the UK as a shipping destination is said that it would be $41 dollars... which is really bad.

If you could possibly see how much it would be to get an order sent in the US I would be interested in getting hold of these.. but I am not going to spring for 5 times the cost for postage! Hey ho...

Okay, I'm looking at the clear "bags" without flaps from http://www.clearenvelopes.com/catalog/product/view/id/506.

PRICE: $4 for 1 pack, 25 count; 3 packs @ $3; 4 packs @ $2

When I setup a potential order and choose the cheapest S&H (Flat rate) to Oregon, USA, it is $4.95 S&H. If you choose 4 packs ($8.00), the S&H stays the same. So definitely a good price in the USA... and a nice find! I think I may order some of these soon to see how they work out.

Just to note for people, that these "bags/envelopes" are made of 1.6 mil plastic, which is 40 microns, so they should be fine. A little thin for my own tastes maybe, but as you do not handle your character card often it should be irrelevent.

FINALLY!! The carrier pigeon has landed!!

I got a nice box in the post today containing some bespoke character-type card sleeves that I commissioned from a supplier in the Thailand.

Each pack contains 40 sleeves, which is enough to sleeve Talisman (18), Reaper (5), Dungeon (5), Frostmarch (7), Promo Endings (2), with enough left over for my Ice Queen (2) and 1 spare!

tbg_character_sleeves.jpg

I must be mad.

...or is that Talis-mad?

Hi Jon,

How many gold coins did that cost you?

PS. Did you get the PDF's I sent the other week?

Cheers

Geoff

Well, I had to promise an initial "order" of so many units before the manufacturer would consider making them, on top of which the postage was really quite high. These are heavier than you might expect in bulk. Still, the cost per unit works out at about £1.50 or something, which is comparable to most other packets of sleeves I suppose.

...and yes, I got the files. I will mail you directly about those!

They look excellent!

talismanisland said:

Well, I had to promise an initial "order" of so many units before the manufacturer would consider making them, on top of which the postage was really quite high. These are heavier than you might expect in bulk. Still, the cost per unit works out at about £1.50 or something, which is comparable to most other packets of sleeves I suppose.

...and yes, I got the files. I will mail you directly about those!

Maybe we can get a bulk order for the UK? I'd be happy to pitch in: I am definitely interested in some of these!

You could say I already have a bulk order! happy.gif

I am certainly not interested in making a business out of it, but if you want some, just hit me up by PM or email for cost plus postage.

It looks very good. gran_risa.gif

My old father ordered 3 packs, (x40) so maybe i can take some from him demonio.gif

hey Jon. sorry to bother, but i sent you an e-mail a couple-0-weeks ago and never got a reply. do you think you can accept a US postal money order?(international)i dont have Pay-Pal, and would love to get some of these...

regards!

i guess ill take that as a no...

KONRAD said:

hey Jon. sorry to bother, but i sent you an e-mail a couple-0-weeks ago and never got a reply. do you think you can accept a US postal money order?(international)i dont have Pay-Pal, and would love to get some of these...

regards!

I actually got a Pay-Pal account to buy sleves from Jon, and I am very happy I got one. Pay-Pal makes life so munc easier.

- You should get one Konrad gui%C3%B1o.gif

Ditto what Mr. B said. And though it costs a tiny bit extra for exchange, you can send people a payment in their own currency. It's really nice, considering our community here is very global.

Just thought i'd ressurect this post as i saw these online 4x5" transleeves which i was considering ordering (I am UK). The sleeves are open at both ends, but it should hold the card tight enough.

http://www.secol.co.uk/SLEEVES.SHTML

Just to mention that I still have a few packs of sleeves going spare. If you are interested just give me a shout directly.

talismanisland said:

Just to mention that I still have a few packs of sleeves going spare. If you are interested just give me a shout directly.

If I wanted to get a hold of you to buy some of those stacks from you, how would I do so. I am new to the forums and not sure how to PM you and when I look at your profile I can't see it.

Terek

PM/Request sent. Though tbh I have very few left.