Mono-Sword? Career-paths?`

By Einbauschrank, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hi there!

I have two questions. The first one: Are career choices dependant on the career path taken? It is written that "no" but still they are printed on the career path sheet. (Albeit without the line that accompanies the other stages)

And then I am at a loss what a "mono sword" is supposed to be. The rogue trader is supposed to have one best quality mono sword. What/where is it?

And what's the advantage of a best quality laspistol? (OK, three questions) Is it purely a coolness factor?

Thanks

Einbau

Hi there!

I have two questions. The first one: Are career choices dependant on the career path taken? It is written that "no" but still they are printed on the career path sheet. (Albeit without the line that accompanies the other stages)

Yes they are, a Death Worlder is extremely unlikely to ever become a Rogue Trader and a Noble Born would prolly be never enslaved to the Throne.

An d then I am at a loss what a "mono sword" is supposed to be. The rogue trader is supposed to have one best quality mono sword. What/where is it?

A Mono Sword is normal primitive sword with the Mono enhancement added to it (Page 134) and Best Quality adds +1 to damage and +10% to WS tests made with that weapon except parry (attack only).
So a Best Quality Mono Sword would be (WS +10%, 1d10+1 R (+SB), Pen 2, Balanced)

And what's the advantage of a best quality laspistol? (OK, three questions) Is it purely a coolness factor?

Normal Las Pistols are Reliable, Best Quality simpy Never Jam and look pretty!

Thanks for the equipment answers. What's disturbing me about the life paths and careers is that it suggests that the final career choices are bound to your motivation choice. I.e., you can only become rogue trader if you chose "prestige" as a motivation and only astropath if you chose "endurance". This seems quite limiting to me. One thing is the table on p. 24 where it states that there is *no* restriction and the other is the life path table on p. 16. Now what?

Einbauschrank said:

Thanks for the equipment answers. What's disturbing me about the life paths and careers is that it suggests that the final career choices are bound to your motivation choice. I.e., you can only become rogue trader if you chose "prestige" as a motivation and only astropath if you chose "endurance". This seems quite limiting to me. One thing is the table on p. 24 where it states that there is *no* restriction and the other is the life path table on p. 16. Now what?

The rulebook actually suggests that the GM make one or more rows of the origin path 'free choices' - unrestricted by the previous choice - especially when dealing with experienced players. I'm personally looking at Motivation being the free row.

No particular restriction exists - the origin path under normal circumstances does not permit certain combinations, but there's nothing specifically preventing any combination of homeworld and career path. As I noted above, if you (or your GM, as appropriate) are allowing free rows, then the choices open up a good deal more.

I have allowed the players to shift one of their choices along anywhere they want after choosing their origin path, it keeps people from simply picking the best of each row while giving some freedom.

Kaihlik

I simply refused to explain the game effect of the choices. My players had to choose based on what sounded cool for a backstory rather than what advantages any one choice gave them

Ok for some but 3 out of 4 of my players also bought the book. I am not complaining.

That trick might work once but if they have to make new characters they will catch on to what things do. I have also let my players explain thier selections differently so for example a Bionic doesn't necissarily mean criminal, it could be a war replacement.

Kaihlik

I allowed my players 1 free choice. they got to choose where it was. this made some interesting characters.