Sea of Blood component pictures

By edroz, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Some kind soul posted a series of pictures of the Sea of Blood components on Boardgamegeek. You can find them here: www.geekdo.com/images/thing/55150 They include the avatars, the overland map and counter sheets (but no cards). These should answer a lot of people questions (and probably generate more).

Tons more questions, like how do heroes travel to the island from the boat, what are those purple ship tokens, why so many blood tokens, how do heroes shop/buy potions in a dungeon, is the aligator lt really only 1x1 in size? What's that bird lt? etc.

Can't tell you how excited I am for this game! :)

-shnar

shnar said:

Tons more questions, like how do heroes travel to the island from the boat

IIRC, the dungeons at sea all use the island map for their first level. So if you stop at one of the anchors and explore, you set up on the island and then have to fight your way into the dungeon.

Correct, but you set up your boat near the island, not touching the island. How do the heroes get from the boat to the island? Is there a smaller boat they row out to? Do they swim?

-shnar

There are rules for hero movement trough water, and there is a swim ability that makes the movement easier.

is Island map maded from common use game type of hardening paper or pvc (quality for often and longer use)? Paper often crack on edges or slip points what finally harms game material (forex my RtL map in the middle has this problem). Thanx for answer

It does not look like there are really any new dungeon-pieces...maybe only 2. Think I'll pass on this one!

Finally we can get exact info on the avatars! None of them even compare to the Sorcerer King, yet I am somehow intrigued by how they will play out with the new changes made to SoB. The cheap treachery for the Count and Mistress of Serpents seems very interesting too!

Master of the Hunt and Captain Bones get two cheap monster upgrades instead of two cheap treachery categories. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Does anyone know if the monsters are the same at each tier as they are in RtL?

Extra blood tokens for the blood squids attacks?

Can make out the gold chaos beast Gold level card in one of the pictures, same stats as RtL.

Can also mostly make out the daggertooth shark stat cards. Oddly they look like Lt cards instead of normal monster cards.

Frog said:

It does not look like there are really any new dungeon-pieces...maybe only 2. Think I'll pass on this one!

What do you mean no new dungeon pieces? They included *more* squares with just the sea map than any expansion has ever included in the past! That's the whole "dungeon" in this expansion, you get to use a boat :)

I love it and can't wait to try it. I also can't wait to try some Vanilla Descent Quests that use the sea map :)

-shnar

shnar said:

Frog said:

What do you mean no new dungeon pieces? They included *more* squares with just the sea map than any expansion has ever included in the past! That's the whole "dungeon" in this expansion, you get to use a boat :)

I love it and can't wait to try it. I also can't wait to try some Vanilla Descent Quests that use the sea map :)

-shnar

As in tiles. I only saw three dungeon tiles (puzzle pieces) that might be used with the core game pieces or other expansions. RtL at least added reversible dungeon/outdoor tiles.

Descent is called DESCENT! That is in reference into descending into dungeons. It looks like this $60 expansion does not add any new dungeon tiles. It's all new rules and extraneous non dungeon-delving additions.

That is why it does not interest me. I thought they would have new dungeon tile-sets for sunken-ruins etc.

pic593294_md.jpg

Are the pictures that were posted all-inclusive or just what the nice person had time/interest in uploading?

Looks like those five boards are all there are judging by the "all components" picture. Might be worth pointing out that the pictures are only of one side of each though. Judging from the pictures on the back of the box, the reverse of the organ is some kind of cage, the reverse of at least some of the barrels are a statue and the reverse of the whirlpool is the cave entrance.

Looks like the nautical stuff and the RtL-repeat tokens takes up nearly all the room. Two familiars though... a parrot as well as a gerbil.

They won't have messed with the monster stats (in some cases sadly) as otherwise every new expansion would have to include repeat stats for Vanilla, RtL AND SoB.

Now who wants to go through all the cards? New treasures? Town items?

inle_badger said:

Now who wants to go through all the cards? New treasures? Town items?

I'd love to. Ship 'em this way! :D

Frog said:

As in tiles. I only saw three dungeon tiles (puzzle pieces) that might be used with the core game pieces or other expansions. RtL at least added reversible dungeon/outdoor tiles.

Descent is called DESCENT! That is in reference into descending into dungeons. It looks like this $60 expansion does not add any new dungeon tiles. It's all new rules and extraneous non dungeon-delving additions.

That is why it does not interest me. I thought they would have new dungeon tile-sets for sunken-ruins etc

Nothing in RtL is usable in the vanilla quests, FFG does a good job at not making expansions require other expanions.

IMHO, there's a lot included here, and is very suitable for an expansion. Expands on the normal game in a way that changes things up but keeps the general gameplay the same. Love what we're getting here and it might be SoB is the only version of Descent we play...

-shnar

this is a great set i got it last week and my nara the fang as well

the tiles are double sided and the dugeon tile parts have differant stuff on the back,the are lots of cool stuff in this set.teh is 24 new skill cards,the are hided treasure cards you get when you have completed 4 dungeons.teh is just so much nice stuff.also lots more dungeons and rumours.shop cards are mainly for the ship.

on the question of where you shop you shop in a town you have said is your home port,this can be changed as the game goes on.

wblackthorn

Can you explain to us about Squid and Sharks. Are they monsters with stats (that upgrade?) or do they have some kind of lasting effect like giving players Bleed Tokens?

Is it just me, or did some of the pictures (like the Avatars and game pieces!) seem to be removed? Luckally I wrote down the stats of all the avatars, but what's up with them all apparently missing now?

Nope, it's not you. Looks like the pictures of the cardboard punchouts and the avatars have been removed. One can speculate why those were removed but the picture of the maps and one of all of the components were left. I guess on the bright side, some one at FFG is reading the forums.

Jake yet again said:

Can you explain to us about Squid and Sharks. Are they monsters with stats (that upgrade?) or do they have some kind of lasting effect like giving players Bleed Tokens?

In one of the pictures which hasn't been removed, you can see the Daggertooth Shark card. It looks like a single card showing dice, stats at all three levels and special rules (like a Lieutenant card does). At copper, they attack with Red&Yellow. You can also discern the word 'Bleed' in the text.

Huh, I'm surprised they took those down and left up the obviously "stolen" images. At least those images were from someone's photo and not just stripped from the FFG website. I talked with Sally and she confirmed the croc figure is a 2x2 token (not the 1x1 that I thought it was, that was just the overland map figure to use). She also said she was going to try to get marketing to upload the PDF, especially since the game has already been sold at Essen...

-shnar